PDA

View Full Version : The Night That Things Went Right

SpiderMan
10-08-2002, 04:44 PM
A week or so ago an acquaintance mentioned my name to a VNEA captain as a possible addition to his sponsored team. By "sponsored", I mean that the captain has a sponsor providing weekly wardrobe plus entry, airfare, and hotel money for the team to compete each year in nationals. That's a deal that no one at my level can resist, so of course I wanted "in".

Anyway, Joe (the captain) invited me out to their home establishment for a meeting Sunday night, casually mentioning that there would be a tournament and we could all enter.

To make a long story short, I had the winner's bracket and another of Joe's teammates had the loser's bracket (I put him there). The TD asked if we wanted to split the pot and go home. I said it didn't matter, but the other guy said he wanted to play it out and see what happens. Joe was a spectator, he'd been put out earlier.

We were hill-hill in the first match. It was over if I took it, otherwise we'd play another (double elimination). The eight was on the foot rail in the middle, my last ball was at the other end of the table about a foot out 45 degrees from the corner pocket, and my opponent hooked me behind his last ball down near the eight.

I jumped the ball, pocketed mine, and went three rails for shape on the eight. After rolling it in, I shook my opponent's hand, collected my money, then sat down by Joe and asked him if I passed the audition.

He wrote down my shirt size /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
10-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Sometimes, all the good, comes to those who've earned it..

Congrats Spiderman.. great going

TomBrooklyn
10-08-2002, 05:08 PM
Congratulations Spiderman. It looks like you got lucky.

<font color=red>Luck is preparation meeting opportunity.</font color=red><font color=orange> Vince Lombardi, Brooklyn, NY.</font color=orange>

=TB=

Warren_Lushia
10-08-2002, 05:16 PM
good job! i assume you did the spiderman victory dance?!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.galt/!image001.gif

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

warren..

SpiderMan
10-08-2002, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Congratulations Spiderman. It looks like you got lucky.
Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. Vince Lombardi, Brooklyn, NY.
=TB= <hr></blockquote>

Actually, I agree. I've played well before, and I've had opportunities where good play could have gotten me something, but luckily this time the two events coincided!

SpiderMan

Barbara
10-08-2002, 06:20 PM
I can just see Spidey doing those moves right now... /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Barbara

Barbara
10-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Kudos Big Guy!!

Barbara~~~only dreams about jumping balls...

cheesemouse
10-08-2002, 06:39 PM
Way to go Spiderman, there is nothing like having the garbonzo beans to pull the trigger on the winning shot and have it come off...good one /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
10-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Yea? What's so special about that? Your a champion! The league captain could of called me and you wouldn't of had to play at all./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Way to go Spiderman, I'd shoot as your partner any day.

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
10-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Oh sure...everything's just great for you! But what's in it for us?

Congrats my friend. Now if I can just get you and your sponsored butt over to Billy Weir's, things would be good.

Regards,

Ken

Karatemom
10-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Great job, SpiderMan!! Definitely one to remember.

Heide

Kato
10-09-2002, 06:44 AM
God I hope not.

Kato

Drake
10-09-2002, 07:34 AM
Just to make a clearer picture for me. Did you jump it with your shooting stick or one of those amazing Bunjee's. I use and own a Bunjee. When I match up with an opponent that doesn't have one, I tell them "By the time We get done,You'll be getting one of these".

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Shake, shake, shake! Shake, shake, shake! Shake that booty! ROFL /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Congrats Spidey!!!

Wendy~~wondering if he used any of his Spidey powers. Mmm...

SpiderMan
10-09-2002, 08:40 AM
I have a frog, but since this was a long "low" jump I thought the regular stick would work better. I really do like the frog, though. Sid V. sold it to me for $25 because he didn't like the feel after buying it. Now I just wish he'd get tired of his other cues, boat, sports car, etc.

SpiderMan