PDA

View Full Version : Thousands Of Lybians March Against Extremists

DiabloViejo
09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Libyans hold giant march demanding militias disband in wake of attack on US consulate</span>
Friday, September 21, 4:44 PM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/libyans-hold-giant-march-demanding-militias-disband-in-wake-of-attack-on-us-consulate/2012/09/21/9203e21c-0406-11e2-9132-f2750cd65f97_story.html)

(LOTS OF PHOTOS AT THE LINK ABOVE)

BENGHAZI, Libya — Tens of thousands of Libyans marched to the gates of one of the country’s strongest armed Islamic extremist groups Friday, demanding it disband, as the attack that killed the U.S. ambassador and four other Americans sparked a public backlash against militias that run rampant in the country and defy the country’s new, post-Moammar Gadhafi leadership.

For many Libyans, last week’s attack on the U.S. Consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi was the last straw with one of the biggest problems Libya has faced since Gadhafi’s ouster and death around a year ago — the multiple mini-armies that with their arsenals of machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades are stronger than the regular armed forces and police.

The militias, a legacy of the rag-tag popular forces that fought Gadhafi’s regime, tout themselves as protectors of Libya’s revolution, providing security where police cannot. But many say they act like gangs, detaining and intimidating rivals and carrying out killings. Militias made up of Islamic radicals are notorious for attacks on Muslims who don’t abide by their hardline ideology. Officials and witnesses say fighters from one Islamic militia, Ansar al-Shariah, led the Sept. 11 attack on the Benghazi consulate.

Some 30,000 people filled a broad boulevard as they marched along a lake in central Benghazi on Friday to the gates of the headquarters of Ansar al-Shariah.

“No, no, to militias,” the crowd chanted, filling a broad boulevard. They carried banners and signs demanding that militias disband and that the government build up police to take their place in keeping security. “Benghazi is in a trap,” signs read. “Where is the army, where is the police?”

Other signs mourned the killing of U.S. Amb. Chris Stevens, reading, “The ambassador was Libya’s friend” and “Libya lost a friend.” Military helicopters and fighter jets flew overhead, and police mingled in the crowd, buoyed by the support of the protesters.

Several thousand Ansar al-Shariah supporters lined up in front of their headquarters in the face of the crowd, waving black and white banners. There were some small scuffles, but mostly the two sides mingled and held discussions in the square.

The march was the biggest seen in Benghazi, Libya’s second largest city and home to 1 million people, since the fall of Gadhafi in August 2011. The unprecedented public backlash comes in part in frustration with the interim government, which has been unable to rein in the armed factions. Many say that officials’ attempts to co-opt fighters by paying them have only fueled the growth of militias without bringing them under state control or integrating them into the regular forces.

Residents of another main eastern city, Darna, have also begun to stand up against Ansar al-Shariah and other militias.

The anti-militia fervor in Darna is notable because the city, in the mountains along the Mediterranean coast north of Benghazi, has long had a reputation as a stronghold for Islamic extremists. During the Gadhafi era, it was the hotbed of a deadly Islamist insurgency against his regime. A significant number of the Libyan jihadists who travelled to Afghanistan and Iraq during recent wars came from Darna. During the revolt against him last year, Gadhafi’s regime warned that Darna would declare itself an Islamic Emirate and ally itself with al-Qaida.

cushioncrawler
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Phew, for a while back there i thort that all islamic countrys would never be peacefull and free and democratic.
I can sleep more soundly from now on, knowing that all will end well.

Burkas -- korans -- cartoons -- no longer a problem.
Fattwas -- not a problem.
Suicide bombings -- history.
mac.

Gayle in MD
09-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Notice how little coverage this story gets here in the U.S.?

G.

cushioncrawler
09-22-2012, 05:13 AM
U would think that 1000's of lesbians would be big news.
mac.

LWW
09-22-2012, 05:22 AM
I've seen plenty of reports on this ... but I don't count on Rachel Madcow and rhe Comedy Channel for news.

This reminds me of the awakening in Anbar ... which the far left denounced.

llotter
09-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Gayle, the link mentions only hundreds of protesters, not tens of thousands. Did they change the story?

Gayle in MD
09-22-2012, 07:45 AM
D. isn't Gayle, FYI.

Also, I didn't write anything about thousands of protestors.

Do you ever get anything straight?

G.

llotter
09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
That was my mistake, Gayle. I thought the crowd look quite small and when the first sentence in the WP story mentioned hundreds, not tens of thousands, I jumped to a wrong conclusion that the story must have changed. sorry 'bout that.

Gayle in MD
09-22-2012, 08:46 AM
No problem.

We all make mistakes.

G.

Soflasnapper
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM
That's lysbians, and you stole my joke, thank you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif