PDA

View Full Version : You know how bullies love to pick on the weak.

Qtec
09-23-2012, 02:10 AM
http://franklycurious.com/media/1/20120921-noincometaxtimeseries.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm tired of the all the discussion about Mitt Romney's 47% remarks. But I want to say one (hopefully) last thing about it. Earlier this week, Ezra Klein published the graph on the left (click on it to see it at regular size). I know that I've been talking about Klein a lot recently, but as I said, he's been really insightful.

What this graph shows is that the percentage of people who paid no federal income taxes was roughly 20% through the mid-1980s. There are three big reasons why it has gone up: Reagan, Bush Jr, and the Lesser Depression. There isn't much to say about the Lesser Depression; when economic times are bad, there are more poor people who will not pay any federal income taxes. We see this in the 1970s, when the recession brought the number up and then in the 1980s, the recovery brought the number back down.[1]

What Reagan and Bush Jr did is very interesting. They both wanted to pass tax cuts that were highly regressive: giving the rich far more benefit than the poor. This is an article of faith on the right. About the only thing we absolutely know about a Romney administration is that it would lower taxes on the rich. But there's a problem with this idea. You can't get the 90% of the country who would get nothing from a tax cut to support such a proposal. So Reagan and Bush Jr offered minor tax cuts for the poor and middle class. One of the results of these cuts was to increase the percentage of people who paid no federal income tax.

This is just history and one can agree or disagree that these tax cuts were a good idea. But there is an outrage that has been going on for a while—Fox News has been pushing this idea that it is somehow wrong that almost half of the people don't pay any federal income tax. (They often make matters worse by claiming that these people pay "no taxes" full stop.) Other conservative media outlets have done the same thing. And many Republican politicians have followed suit.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Here's the outrage: the same people complaining about the poor not paying federal income taxes are the same people who created this situation to push through tax cuts for the rich! The Republicans are abusing the poor on both sides of this issue. First, they give the poor tiny tax cuts to justify enormous tax cuts for the rich. Once that's done, they claim that the poor don't pay enough in taxes.</span>

There is more to this, of course. The Republicans who claim to always be for tax cuts are half-in for raising taxes on the poor. I say "half-in" because there are a lot of conservatives who see the trap here. (I don't think they actually care about taxing the poor.) This is not real hypocrisy, however. The Republicans are clearly only interested in tax cuts for the wealthy. We saw this in the payroll tax fight earlier this year. But their rhetoric is always that taxes are bad for everyone. So they certainly seem to be hypocrites on this subject.

If we let them, the Republicans will raise taxes on the poor to a higher rate than it was in the early 80s when this madness started. But apparently, now is not the time. Romney is back tracking as fast as he can. But don't think the issue will be dead for long. The poor are too convenient a punching bag for Republicans. You know how bullies love to pick on the weak. </div></div>

Maddow has more on this. (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rachel-maddow-romneys-adult-life-essentially-been-one-long-boring-plot-to-dodge-taxes/)

Q

LWW
09-23-2012, 04:51 AM
I love it when you post articles in conflict with itself.

Qtec
09-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Where is the contradiction?

Please don't reply, "Its right there can't you see it?"

For ONCE, try and make an argument based on facts and not deranged delusions.

Q

Qtec
09-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Cognitive dissonance (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-19-2012/chaos-on-bulls--t-mountain---the-entitlement-society)

Q

LWW
09-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for, again, making me giggle from watching you use words that you don't understand.

Soflasnapper
09-23-2012, 09:42 AM
The Republicans are clearly only interested in tax cuts for the wealthy.

David Stockman gave that away in the early '80s. Fairly early on he admitted the 'across the board' aspect of the Kemp/Roth tax rate cut was a Trojan Horse, designed to usher in the cuts to the top rates, which was all they cared about.

Using the notion that everyone needed, and the country would benefit from, tax cuts across the board simply as a sales tool, to get people to go along with the higher brackets' cuts.

Gayle in MD
09-24-2012, 05:53 AM
The charts don't lie.

I really don't know how any intelligent person can fail to see the wide ranging damages that these tax cuts, favoring the wealthy, have only created a vast void between the well being of the wealthy, and the huge losses for everyone else.

And Romney is the poster boy for the wealthy not paying their fair share. He has brought this whole issue of unfair, slanted to most beneift the wealthy, even more into focus, with his mishandling of his campaign, and his own clearly stated disgusting attitudes toward most Americans, while failing to include himself, among those not paying taxes, and enforcing the fact that Republicans work ONLY for the wealthy. Thank goodness that Mitt's Lips Sinks Mitt's ship!

See Q.'s link to Meet The Press, as Bay Buchanon tried to completely reverse the reality of what everyone can hear with their own damn ears, that Romney was sying to his fellow Fascists on that tape!

G.

Qtec
09-24-2012, 06:00 AM
For the last 30 yrs they have been engaging in wealth distribution. Taking it from the MC and enriching themselves at the expense of the rest and therefore the country.
The super rich are the most unpatriotic citizens in the USA.

Q

eg8r
09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
How do they "take" what is already theirs. LOL, you forget that it is Obama that is forcing the poor to stay poor and dragging down the lower middle class.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the last 30 yrs they have been engaging in wealth distribution. Taking it from the MC and enriching themselves at the expense of the rest and therefore the country.
The super rich are the most unpatriotic citizens in the USA.

Q </div></div>

IMO, and after a fair amount of study, Romney is worth at least twice what he is claiming, and maybe more.

How does he have a million in an Ira, shell accounts all over the world. Business accociates who jumped right in a little later than when Mitt became the forerunner in Vulture Capitalism, who are worth over twice as much as he claims, and was doing big outsourcing deals with China as recently as 2009, and only be worth two hundred and fifty million dollars.

What a crock of BS that is!

He is nothing but a crook, who probably took that deal in 09, and still hasn't figured out what to do with all of the rest of his hidden money.

He's lying about his worth. Has to be!

G.