PDA

View Full Version : How many biggest disappointments can Obama have

eg8r
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Does Obama understand what the word biggest means...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asked by Ramos to identify his biggest failure, Obama offered a quick response.

"Jorge, as you remind me, my biggest failure is that we haven't gotten comprehensive immigration reform done," he said. "But it's not for lack of trying or desire."</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"And, you know, if you ask me what's my biggest disappointment, is that we haven't changed the tone in Washington as much as I would have liked," the president said, adding that "as president I bear responsibility for everything, to some degree."</div></div>OK, I know some of you might say failure is different than disappointment but in the end we are only going to quibble over semantics. In both cases he failed and all we are seeing is Obama changing his story based on who he thinks is listening and how he thinks he can greater impact them based on what he says.

The positive here is that even though none of the lefties on this board are willing to admit Obama failed he has the guts to do so. Jeesh, why do we have to wait this long for him to finally admit he screwed the pooch.

So there we have it...4 years ago all we heard was hope and change. Well the hope went out the window as UE skyrocketed to 10% or more. Now we see change never happened either. At least Obama can admit it.

eg8r

Grapenut
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
He is the biggest disappointment of millions who voted for him.

That will be the legacy he leaves with us. Along with a one hellacious debt.

Nut

Soflasnapper
09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I know some of you might say failure is different than disappointment but in the end we are only going to quibble over semantics.

Yes.

Pretty obvious one may fail at something and not be that disappointed. Obama even explained how that might be true in the case of his self-described biggest failure: it was not for lack of trying or desire. In his view, of course, but both those requested answers, your biggest failure and biggest disappointment, are subjective matters by definition.

Is it really true that he tried everything he could? Hard to say, but as the saying goes, the president proposes, and the Congress disposes. No president dictates to Congress and gets everything he says he wants.

So, for instance, is Ritt Momney going to repeal Obamacare on his first day in office, as he constantly promises? No, that's not within his powers. But we know what that actually means, despite it not meaning what he says.

LWW
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
What he was confirming was that his regime has been such a disappointment that selecting a single greatest disappointment is impossible.

Soflasnapper
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Another possibility, although it's hard to show that when the two questions differed as to failure and disappointment.

Qtec
09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
What did Obama do to 'sky rocket' the UE to 10%??????

Q

link (http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000)

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/latest_numbers_LNS14000000_2002_2012_all_period_M0 8_data.gif
2009 7.8 8.3 8.7 8.9 9.4 9.5 9.5 9.6 9.8 <u>10.0 [ Oct ] </u>9.9 9.9

eg8r
09-24-2012, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did Obama do to 'sky rocket' the UE to 10%??????</div></div>He did abso-freaking-lutely nothing which is why it skyrocketed. Not a darn thing other than promise he would never let it go that high. He is a complete and utter failure.

He thought he could just tell us he would never let it get over 8% and the economy would listen. Kind of like when he declared if he became POTUS the rest of the world would look at us differently. UE did not listen to him and the rest of the world paid no attention either. An absolute failure.

eg8r

eg8r
09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Other than disappointment cannot mean anything other than failure. He did not do what he said he would do. That was a disappointment and in other words a freaking failure. Defend again Obama-boy.

eg8r

eg8r
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes.</div></div>LOL, we could smell your brown nose from a mile a way. Shove it further up his rear I am sure he promised you something rosy-smelling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it really true that he tried everything he could? Hard to say, but as the saying goes, the president proposes, and the Congress disposes. No president dictates to Congress and gets everything he says he wants. </div></div>So now you are going to go out and follow Obama around and when he makes promises you are going to yell to the high heavens that he can't do that because it is Congress' job?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, for instance, is Ritt Momney going to repeal Obamacare on his first day in office, as he constantly promises? No</div></div>You are right, he should not be saying that lie. LOL, now what do you have? If they are lying then call them out for it. You sure don't have the balls but Ramos did and I am thankful for it.

eg8r

Qtec
09-25-2012, 12:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did Obama do to 'sky rocket' the UE to 10%??????</div></div><span style='font-size: 14pt'>He did abso-freaking-lutely nothing which is why it skyrocketed. Not a darn thing</span> other than promise he would never let it go that high. He is a complete and utter failure.

eg8r </div></div>

Really? He did nothing?

As usual you are long on rhetoric and short on facts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, abbreviated ARRA (Pub.L. 111-5) and <span style='font-size: 17pt'>commonly referred to as the Stimulus or The Recovery Act, is an economic stimulus package enacted by the 111th United States Congress in February 2009 and signed into law on February 17, 2009,</span> by President Barack Obama.

To respond to the late-2000s recession, the primary objective for ARRA was to save and create jobs almost immediately. Secondary objectives were to provide temporary relief programs for those most impacted by the recession and invest in infrastructure, education, health, and ‘green’ energy. The approximate cost of the economic stimulus package was estimated to be $787 billion at the time of passage, later revised to $831 billion between 2009 and 2019.[1] The Act included direct spending in infrastructure, education, health, and energy, federal tax incentives, and expansion of unemployment benefits and other social welfare provisions. </div></div>

Do you see this chart?

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/latest_numbers_LNS14000000_2002_2012_all_period_M0 8_data.gif

It was the disastrous Bush admin that drove the UE to 10%. It was the ARRA that brought it down.

Q

Soflasnapper
09-25-2012, 07:17 AM
He thought he could just tell us he would never let it get over 8% and the economy would listen.

An often repeated, and never documented, claim.

You should have also said he promised that, to follow the typical false citation style for this.

If you think he ever said this, when was that, and to whom? I've never seen any evidence he ever did that whatsoever.

eg8r
09-25-2012, 08:26 AM
It isn't undocumented. It was part of the economists report that Obama touted as the reason for his failed stimulus. He used this report to help gain support for the failed stimulus so the report had his full backing. He and the report were so far off the mark why would anyone believe anything they said whether pro-stimulus or not? In the end Americans are worse off now than they were before Obama. The middle class is smaller, they make a lot less money than before and that is if they even have a job. Obama = Failure.

eg8r

eg8r
09-25-2012, 08:28 AM
The stimulus has not done what the snake oil salesman told us it would do. We were told the stimulus package would keep UE below 8.5%, FAIL. We were told it would generate 4-5 million jobs by 2010. FAIL. For those that did find a job, that is good other than the fact that they make a lot less money than they did before. Obama = Failure.

eg8r

LWW
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He thought he could just tell us he would never let it get over 8% and the economy would listen.

An often repeated, and never documented, claim.

You should have also said he promised that, to follow the typical false citation style for this.

If you think he ever said this, when was that, and to whom? I've never seen any evidence he ever did that whatsoever. </div></div>

That is Bravo Sierra and you know it.

Soflasnapper
09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
That is Bravo Sierra and you know it.

I know who said it and when they said it, and so far as I've ever seen, it wasn't Obama saying this, ever.

If you claim he did, when was that, and in what venue?

In my view, you have the bravo sierra position, but possibly do NOT know it.

It is amazing that people such as yourself, eg8r, and the generic Republican all can believe that they know something like this, when it's only the repetition of a lie that they think must be true because everyone has said it is true.

Again, when and where did Obama say this, or present the advisors' estimates as his own 'promises' or even his own 'estimates' (which is what they were-- heavily caveated ESTIMATES that were said to be impossible to be accurate on because the situation hadn't been seen before)?

You know what kind of forum I mean. Was it in the SOTU style address he made in his first big national speech, early administration? Was it something officially promised by a senior WH spokesman or cabinet official in presenting the stimulus bill to Congress?

Or was it for purely internal consumption by Obama and his senior advisors, which was never once mentioned by any of them as either a promise or the estimate from which they were working, and certainly, never something told to the American people, let alone Congress?

Gayle in MD
09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did Obama do to 'sky rocket' the UE to 10%??????</div></div><span style='font-size: 14pt'>He did abso-freaking-lutely nothing which is why it skyrocketed. Not a darn thing</span> other than promise he would never let it go that high. He is a complete and utter failure.

eg8r </div></div>

Really? He did nothing?

As usual you are long on rhetoric and short on facts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, abbreviated ARRA (Pub.L. 111-5) and <span style='font-size: 17pt'>commonly referred to as the Stimulus or The Recovery Act, is an economic stimulus package enacted by the 111th United States Congress in February 2009 and signed into law on February 17, 2009,</span> by President Barack Obama.

To respond to the late-2000s recession, the primary objective for ARRA was to save and create jobs almost immediately. Secondary objectives were to provide temporary relief programs for those most impacted by the recession and invest in infrastructure, education, health, and ‘green’ energy. The approximate cost of the economic stimulus package was estimated to be $787 billion at the time of passage, later revised to $831 billion between 2009 and 2019.[1] The Act included direct spending in infrastructure, education, health, and energy, federal tax incentives, and expansion of unemployment benefits and other social welfare provisions. </div></div>

Do you see this chart?

It was the disastrous Bush admin that drove the UE to 10%. It was the ARRA that brought it down.

Q </div></div>

Amazing, isn't it?

The same person who defended Bush for lying us into a war in Iraq, sending our soliders out to be blown up daily for five years, three of them without decent equipment, crashing the American economy, outing a CIA secret agent, destroying our reputation all over the world, franchising al Qaeda, ignoring the growing threat in Iran, and North Korea, and failing to ever get the organizational leader who planned the attack on 9/11, ignoring Americans tropped on rooftops for days, and failing to keep even one single promise other than to cut taxes, and spendand borrow like a MFer, is bashing a president who has done an amazing job of setting this country back on a course to peace and economic recovery.

We aren't losing over 800,000 jobs a month, and we aren't deep into the Bush Depression.

Egh8tr doesn't read books, and d9oesn't have a clue about anything at all that is going on in the world, or have any clue about economics and job creation, at all.

Absolutely NOTHING!

AND calling everyone else a hypocrite!

That's choice!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
09-25-2012, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know some of you might say failure is different than disappointment but in the end we are only going to quibble over semantics.

Yes.

Pretty obvious one may fail at something and not be that disappointed. Obama even explained how that might be true in the case of his self-described biggest failure: it was not for lack of trying or desire. In his view, of course, but both those requested answers, your biggest failure and biggest disappointment, are subjective matters by definition.

Is it really true that he tried everything he could? Hard to say, but as the saying goes, the president proposes, and the Congress disposes. No president dictates to Congress and gets everything he says he wants.

So, for instance, is Ritt Momney going to repeal Obamacare on his first day in office, as he constantly promises? No, that's not within his powers. But we know what that actually means, despite it not meaning what he says. </div></div>

Thank heaven President Obama's disappointment isn't that he completely ignored numerous, unprecedented warnings for eight months, like, "al Qaeda determined to attack inside the United States!"

G.

Soflasnapper
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't undocumented. It was part of the economists report that Obama touted as the reason for his failed stimulus. He used this report to help gain support for the failed stimulus so the report had his full backing. He and the report were so far off the mark why would anyone believe anything they said whether pro-stimulus or not? In the end Americans are worse off now than they were before Obama. The middle class is smaller, they make a lot less money than before and that is if they even have a job. Obama = Failure.

eg8r </div></div>

There is no evidence anyone's ever shown that Obama referenced those estimates to sell his plan. To the people, in speeches, or to the Congress, in presentations. No evidence he mentioned the ESTIMATES, nor that he endorsed them at all, nor that he PROMISED the heavily caveated ESTIMATES would be certainly met.

It's hard to promise something, represent something will happen even if it's not a promise, when you don't mention it or cite it, as I think is the case with Obama and that economic estimate. He got INTERNAL economic advice and then came up with a plan, that no one has shown involved making any promise of that sort whatsoever.

In fact, the estimate and the macroeconomics it was based upon would have been almost exactly correct if given the correct gdp contraction numbers as an original input. That is, the economists used the then-current estimates of -0.5% gdp for 3Q08, and -3.1% gdp for 4Q08, which yielded the UE ranges everyone complains about. Using their model, but plugging in the correct gdp figures as later revised, -3.5% for 3Q08 and -6.8% gdp for 4Q08, their estimates for UE would have been spot on.

Gayle in MD
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
More Faux Noise from the Peanut Gallery!

Same way the President never, ever, uttered the words, "I got bin Laden!"

They truly do live in an alternate universe! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

eg8r
09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no evidence anyone's ever shown that Obama referenced those estimates to sell his plan.</div></div>LOL, sorry bubble boy but you are out of gas.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I am well read on the subject, and I've never seen anybody reference the supposed promise by Obama, when he made it, in what venue, as a written submission or as a verbal presentation.

You believe he must have, and stick to that position although you and no one else has ever shown where he did that?

An article of belief, then, requiring no evidence let alone proof? Sure, and clap for Tinkerbell, or she'll die?

I know it's an uncomfortable feeling, when you realize you've been punked by professional liars and unscrupulous partisans, and you must hate that feeling, so you simply go into denial.

But believe me, the truth is worth finding, and a much better basis upon which to build your worldview than buying stone cold propaganda, lock stock and barrel. As you've done here.

Gayle in MD
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am well read on the subject, and I've never seen anybody reference the supposed promise by Obama, when he made it, in what venue, as a written submission or as a verbal presentation.

You believe he must have, and stick to that position although you and no one else has ever shown where he did that?

An article of belief, then, requiring no evidence let alone proof? Sure, and clap for Tinkerbell, or she'll die?

I know it's an uncomfortable feeling, when you realize you've been punked by professional liars and unscrupulous partisans, and you must hate that feeling, so you simply go into denial.

But believe me, the truth is worth finding, and a much better basis upon which to build your worldview than buying stone cold propaganda, lock stock and barrel. As you've done here. </div></div>

Drum Roll!

The Repiglican Theme Song!

http://www.lyrics.com/if-i-only-had-a-brain-lyrics-judy-garland.html

Qtec
09-27-2012, 03:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In both cases he failed </div></div>

Why did he fail?

Was it maybe because the opposition blocked him?

Q

Soflasnapper
09-27-2012, 06:09 PM
In terms of getting an opposition party firmly committed to blocking his every move to quit doing that, he has failed.

In terms of getting the American people to understand what happened here, he may be doing better, as they don't seem to hold that (an impossible task, btw) against him.

Same with the economy as a singular issue. Guess what? People still blame Bush more, and in my view, correctly so.

eg8r
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Why did he fail? Because he is no uniter, he is no leader. He tried very hard to strong arm the Republicans, basically told them to shut up because he won the election. He then went on TV and, reading from his teleprompter, complained about the lack of support from the group of people that he was currently chastising. LOL, he though he could embarass them in the public eye to force them to agree to his demands. Again he failed. He has failed every step of the way.

eg8r

Qtec
09-28-2012, 02:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did he fail? Because he is no uniter, he is no leader. He tried very hard to strong arm the Republicans, <u>basically told them to shut up because he won the election</u>. </div></div>

OMG! You are like a broken record.

Obama won the election,yes? He had a mandate for change,yes? What was the GOP response?

You haven't a clue because all you do is spit RW talking points.

Read.

REMEMBER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [Obama] was elected president, not king — or even prime minister. He’s easily the most powerful figure in American politics but he’s just the head of one branch of government.

He doesn’t need [Rep. Eric] Cantor’s help very much and is unlikely to get it. The House operates very much along party lines and Cantor is a fiscal conservative who’s not going to get sweet talked into a giant boondoggle whose main purpose is to “do something.” But, given that [Obama] desperately wants broad support for his stimulus package so as to spread the blame if things don’t go well, he’ll need to compromise and give Republicans some concessions.

<u>But the exchange (and hence my reaction to it) took on an entirely different hue when I read this account from the NYT as reprinted in our local newspaper:
</u>
<span style='font-size: 17pt'> “We just have a difference here, and I’m president,” Mr. Obama said to Mr. Cantor, according to Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, who was at the meeting.

Mr. Emanuel said that Mr. Obama was being lighthearted and that lawmakers of both parties had laughed.

Mr. Cantor, in an interview later, had a similar recollection. He said the president had told him, “You’re correct, there’s a philosophical difference, but I won, so we’re going to prevail on that.”

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>“He was very straightforward,” Cantor added. “There was no disrespect, but it was very matter-of-fact.”</span></span>

The Moderate Voice (http://s.tt/1mXP5)
Read more at http://themoderatevoice.com/25920/obamas-i-won-comment/#KB5SJLj3oObWW2XP.99
</div></div>

Q

Qtec
09-28-2012, 02:25 AM
He failed because he trusted the GOP to do the right right thing. Work with him, not against him.

Obama was overly polite when he said' I won'. What he should have said to them was,

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>"YOU LOST!". YOUR ideas have been <u>rejected</u> by the American voters and now we will do things my way."</span>

Anyway, the GOP got the hump and decided to block everything they could, despite the damage and the suffering they caused.

Q

Gayle in MD
09-28-2012, 07:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In terms of getting an opposition party firmly committed to blocking his every move to quit doing that, he has failed.

In terms of getting the American people to understand what happened here, he may be doing better, as they don't seem to hold that (an impossible task, btw) against him.

Same with the economy as a singular issue. Guess what? People still blame Bush more, and in my view, correctly so. </div></div>

Right you are, and only someone of stunning ignorance would accuse this president of failing to lead.

How can you lead when your oposition doesn't care about the country at all, and you do care?

Americans have seen the Republican obstruction, and that is precisely why Republicans are going to take a whuppin' in this election.

It's going to go far wider than just Romney, we will remove more Republicans from the Senate, and possibly take back the House, or at the very least, we will shave down their majority.

What we are seeing here on this forum is desperate shock and awe, LMAO! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Romney is losing both in the state where he was Governor, AND in the state where he lives.

The fact is, nobody likes Romney OR Ryan, other than the Republican thieves who have stolen all of the wealth, and don't want the scam to end, and believe that a crook like Romney, will help them to continue to steal,, unbridled by any regulations, from the all of the rest of us. The wealthy is all for Romney because they know he will help them to "Harvest" more or America's collective wealthy, and stuff it in their own pockets, while the rest of the country goes down the tubes!

Romney will lose. Republicans will lose seats, lots of them, and current Republican Governors, will not be re-elected by and large.

Everywhere one looks, Republicans are losing favor among Americans.

Their scams and lies are finally too pronounced to be missed or overlooked.

G.

eg8r
09-28-2012, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama won the election,yes? He had a mandate for change,yes? What was the GOP response?</div></div>He mandated change? LOL, I guess that backfired in his face. In his mind, working across the aisle is the same as mandating what people will do. Just recently when he said that he learned you cannot change Washington from the inside what he was really saying was that it is impossible to strong-arm a group of people that aren't willing to be strong-armed.

If he wins again do you think he will tell the Reps to shut up because he won and he is the President? Not if he wants real change. However if he is intent on proving he cannot change Washington then maybe he will stay the course.

eg8r

eg8r
09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He failed because he trusted the GOP to do the right right thing. Work with him, not against him.</div></div>Shut up, I am the President is not asking people to "work" with him. Going on TV and complaining that the Reps won't play nice is not asking people to "work" with him. He is a failure. Going public with the fact that he was unable to lead and get people to follow him was proof right away that American voted in the wrong guy.

eg8r