PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Play in NYC

Bananas
09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Going to New York City for the week and was wondering were is the best place to play. I noticed there were some newer clubs but I'm not looking to disco or sit in a lounge area and drink. Corner Billiards is no longer open but I understand that Amsterdam Billiards has taken over. Slate looks like a disco which I want to avoid. Thanks.

Eric.
09-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Where in NYC?

In Queens: Steinway Billiards, Astoria.

Brooklyn: Skyline Billiards or Hall of Fame Billiards (Jean Baluka's place) in bay Ridge.

Manhattan: Society Billiards is a great newer room. It's the former Broadway Billiards.

You sound familiar with NYC, so this should get you in the right spot.

Eric

Bananas
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks Eric. I have noticed that a lot of my former haunts no longer exist. Chelsea Billiards and Corner Billiards.

Eric.
09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Chelsea is now Slate, a mere shell of what Chelsea used to be.

Corner is now CornerDam or AmsterCorner... Same location, different decor but still a good room.

Check out Society Billiards, if you're gonna be in the Flatiron/lower midtown-ish area. It is nothing like the old Broadway Billiards. It is very nice, with Diamond tables. It's a great room and some longtime NYC pool ppl co-own it.

Eric

Bananas
09-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks again. I will be staying in the Chelsea district for a week and will make it a point to stop by Society.

Bananas
09-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Eric, one more question. Back in the late 90's there was a female player/instuctor that was a regular on this board. She played/instructed at Corner Billiards. I was trying to recall her name. She was a pro/semi-pro player. What is her name? I'm just trying to recall some of the regulars on this board.

Rich R.
09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I think you're referring to Fran Crimi and she still checks in on this forum on a regular basis.

Eric.
09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree with Rich...you might be thinking of Fran Crimi, who is still on this board. Fran used to play on the WPBA.

Eric