PDA

View Full Version : Michaela Tabb -- US Open future ref?

Warren_Lushia
10-09-2002, 12:44 AM
if this years us open ppv turns out to be a success (when the numbers are finally in) do y'all think it might be nice to invite michaela tabb to be the main table ref, and the ref for the finals? i know barry, brady, and/or pat fleming/accu-stats chose to mimic the highly successful matchroom sports format, and i say why not just invite michaela to the next one?!

she is a highly accomplished player (and her husband is legendary) and she is a popular ref, how about it? i pose this question to get some feedback, i hope brady will also pop in and give his thoughts.

anyway, michaela is currently reffing the huge snooker tourney going on in england, so i can't talk to her directly till that is done, but i spoke to a friend of hers and i am gonna get some feedback to how she feels.

it will be a great move in my opinion, a win-win for both sides !!

what do you guys think? lets put the us open on the world stage!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

warren..

10-09-2002, 07:39 AM
It would be a slap in the face to the refs in this country if that were to happen. That's one of the most unpatriotic ideas I've ever heard. In Wimbledon, the refs are Brits. At the French Open, they're French, at the U.S. Open, they're American.

Drake
10-09-2002, 07:52 AM
I second the motion 100 percent. Scott Smith has been been doing a great job at it for so long. Through everything....Scott has been there. Give him the boot??? I don't think so.

Fred Agnir
10-09-2002, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>In Wimbledon, the refs are Brits. At the French Open, they're French, at the U.S. Open, they're American. <hr></blockquote>

This isn't true.

Fred

10-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Qoute: "do y'all think it might be nice to invite michaela tabb to be the main table ref"

Main table. Center court. It most certainly is true.

rackmup
10-09-2002, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr>what do you guys think? lets put the us open on the world stage!!<hr></blockquote>

It's an assumption that the US Open "chose to mimic" the Matchroom Sports format. Although there were similarities, to assume plagiarism is simply wrong.

Perhaps Brady and his son play in an adult basketball league and got the idea from the Zebra's there.

And if they did "copy" a portion of someone's format, isn't immitation still one of the most sincerest forms of flattery?

Lastly, if the addition of Michaela Tabb is all we need to put our sport in the face of the World, we really have a long way to go.

Barry Berhman certainly has his critics and perhaps has done some things (maybe many things) wrong in his past but as the "good book" says:

"You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."

Colossians 3:13

The bottom line is this: Barry Berhman and the Players are the US OPEN. Who else has stepped up to promote this event? Is there anyone else who could promote this event? Because Barry Berhman isn't well liked by 100% of the Playing/Spectating/Promoting public, should the event cease to exist?

Regards,

Ken

Tom_In_Cincy
10-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Ken
I recently saw the matchroom sports videos and it was like seeing the US Open final again.

The only difference that I could see was that the trophy for 1st place on the matchroom sports finals was a big bowl.. whereas the trophy for the US Open was a plaque of the USA and had the smaller runner-up trophy too.

Two other differences pop into mind.. the Matchroom announcers were much louder (and more vocal) on shots. And, the US Open had the two "game #" girls.

rackmup
10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
I guess I look at it this way:

We were fortunate to have PPV access to the finals. If we hadn't, most of the comparisons would have never been brought up.

Secondly, did you enjoy it any less because of the female rack-gal, the "Game # Girls", or the similarities in surroundings?

Sure, the commentating could have been better and the interviews could have certainly been better but all-in-all, it was fun to watch.

If the PPV continues, it will just get better each year. Remember the first runs of the Accu-Stats videos? Terrible! Look at them now.

Time, baby...TIME.

Be grateful for what you have. It could be gone tomorrow.

Regards,

Ken (respects Tom_In_Cincy's views)

Tom_In_Cincy
10-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Ken,

I guess I was expecting more of a USA flavor since it was a US Open tournament. The European flavor of copying the Matchroom Sports production's format.. pink 4 ball, brown 7 ball.. metal plates on the floor surrounding the table.. Championship trophy being displayed at the break end of the table... just, IMO, took away from the US Open's 27 year theme...

Maybe I am being a little to critical.. but I do really appreciate the PPV efforts and hope it has been sucessful enough to just be the beginning of more of the same...

rackmup
10-09-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>pink 4 ball, brown 7 ball...<hr></blockquote>

One of the commentators indicated the use of these two colors were to make them more distinguishable to the television viewing audience.

Regards,

Ken

10-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Michaela is married? Gee, thanks. You just ruined my whole day. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Warren_Lushia
10-09-2002, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Warren_Lushia:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;what do you guys think? lets put the us open on the world stage!!&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

It's an assumption that the US Open "chose to mimic" the Matchroom Sports format. Although there were similarities, to assume plagerism is simply wrong.

Perhaps Brady and his son play in an adult basketball league and got the idea from the Zebra's there.

And if they did "copy" a portion of someone's format, isn't immitation still one of the most sincerest forms of flattery?

Lastly, if the addition of Michaela Tabb is all we need to put our sport in the face of the World, we really have a long way to go.

Barry Berhman certainly has his critics and perhaps has done some things (maybe many things) wrong in his past but as the "good book" says:

"You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."

Colossians 3:13

The bottom line is this: Barry Berhman is the US OPEN. Who else has stepped up to promote this event? Is there anyone else who could promote this event? Because Barry Berhman isn't well liked by 100% of the Playing/Spectating/Promoting public, should the event cease to exist?

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

ahhhhh, ken? what the hell are you on about? i never accused anybody of "plagarism" and i never said michaela was all that was needed to put the us open on the world stage. your whole diatribe had absolutely nothing to do with anything i said, and in fact your arguement is preaching to the choir here, as you didn't say anything i disagree with. of course you didn't address anything i said either.

firstly i am a supporter of the behrman's and everything they have done and continue to do for pool. i think i have been pretty vocal about that.

secondly i do not think it was necessarily a bad thing to mimic the matchroom format given its huge success. where did i say that? tom has brought up a valid point about maybe giving it more of an american flair, but i don't have strong feelings about that one way or another. right now we are crawling, walking will be the next step /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

as far as the "world stage" goes, i believe a significant portion of future viewership of televised pool even in the usa can come from foreign countries where pool is much more popular as a spectator sport than in the usa. matchroom had 300 million viewers for the WPC, so i don't think its wrong for the success of the sport to consider a world market.

so what is wrong with my question?

warren..

Kato
10-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Tom, they explained to us (those of us close enough to the Accustats booth) the pink and brown show up better on T.V. How true that is I don't know.

Kato~~~the all not knowing.

rackmup
10-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Easy big fella. Let me break it down for you, based on your post:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr>if this years us open ppv turns out to be a success (when the numbers are finally in) do y'all think it might be nice to invite michaela tabb to be the main table ref, and the ref for the finals? i know barry, brady, and/or pat fleming/accu-stats chose to mimic <font color=red>MIMIC="Imitate, ape, mime, parrot, mock, parody, take off"</font color=red> the highly successful matchroom sports format, and i say why not just invite michaela to the next one?!

she is a highly accomplished player (and her husband is legendary) and she is a popular ref, how about it? i pose this question to get some feedback<font color=red>I gave you my feedback.</font color=red>, i hope brady will also pop in and give his thoughts.

anyway, michaela is currently reffing the huge snooker tourney going on in england, so i can't talk to her directly till that is done, but i spoke to a friend of hers and i am gonna get some feedback to how she feels.

it will be a great move in my opinion, a win-win for both sides !!<font color=red>The only suggestion you've made to this point in your post is the addition of Michaela Tabb to the OPEN</font color=red>

what do you guys think? lets put the us open on the world stage!!<font color=red>Again, the only suggestion is to make Michaela the main Table Ref &amp; Ref in the Finals.</font color=red>

warren.. <hr></blockquote>

It's my opinion of your post. I saw no other ideas to make the Open any better. In fact, to replace a long-standing Table Ref with someone else is more hurtful than helpful (IMO).

I didn't intend to offend. Remember...I have two things everyone else has: Opinions and an Orifice (supposedly, everyone has these things.)

Regards,

Ken

Kato
10-09-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm confused about this. Bringing in a ref will put pool on the world stage? There are American players, Russians, Philipino's, German's, English, French, Italian, and Sandor Tot. They are the ones that put pool on a world stage, not a ref.

Kato

rackmup
10-09-2002, 01:44 PM
That's what I was trying to say! I just used too much logic and verbage.

Kato to the rescue again!

Regards,

Ken

Warren_Lushia
10-09-2002, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>
It's my opinion of your post. I saw no other ideas to make the Open any better. In fact, to replace a long-standing Table Ref with someone else is more hurtful than helpful (IMO).

I didn't intend to offend. Remember...I have two things everyone else has: Opinions and an Orifice (supposedly, everyone has these things.)

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

ahhh, ken, firstly my big beef with your original reply was your diatribe on an innocent observation i made about the similarities between the us open and the wpc. i used the word "mimic". you changed it to "plagarize" and accused me of some sort of attack on the behrman's and went off on a spiel defending barry for something i never even accused him of. go back and read your post. if your intent is not to offend, you sure have a funny way of going about it.

as far as my "world stage" comments, i am often accused in pool forums of being overly verbose so i try when i can not to over explain things. my suggestion of michaela as a ref was more of a "tip of the iceberg" for suggestions, not meant to be all inclusive.

warren..

Warren_Lushia
10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I'm confused about this. Bringing in a ref will put pool on the world stage? There are American players, Russians, Philipino's, German's, English, French, Italian, and Sandor Tot. They are the ones that put pool on a world stage, not a ref.

Kato <hr></blockquote>

michaela tabb is more famous than most of the pool players. if the us open is marketed to the world, having her as a ref will most certainly create a wider appeal. you are correct that the players put the open on a world stage, this is just another step.

who were the italian and french players at this years open?

warren..

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2002, 02:07 PM
It's good to know somebody's thinking about ways to make pool better and this is not a bad idea. But Scott Smith apparently is well respected by the players and I don't think it would be good to possibly alienate them by changing refs unnecessarily.

Kato
10-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Warren, in your opinion she would probably put the U.S. Open telecast over the top? Perhaps you are right in your world wide thinking but in the States do we know who she is? Until Dave Syria sent out those Mosconi Tapes I had no idea who she was, Scott Smith, I knew who he was. I don't agree with you on the referee situation Warren, but that wacko in the Mosconi booth, Jimmy Wynn I think, that guy really got me pumped.

Kato

Warren_Lushia
10-09-2002, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> It's good to know somebody's thinking about ways to make pool better and this is not a bad idea. But Scott Smith apparently is well respected by the players and I don't think it would be good to possibly alienate them by changing refs unnecessarily. <hr></blockquote>

fair enough, a number of people have mentioned this. but i wasn't suggesting giving scott smith the boot. i wasn't suggesting making michaela the tourney director, which i believe is scott smith's position. i was suggesting replacing the michaela look alike with the real thing /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif was she not a ref? anyway, i don't wanna bump scott smith, just make a nice new world famous addition /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

warren..

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 02:26 PM
http://www.epbf.com/players/TabbMicha.htm

rackmup
10-09-2002, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr>you sure have a funny way of going about it. <hr></blockquote>

"Who you calling funny? What, like I'm funny looking or something? Why I oughta..."

Regards,

Ken (not as sensitive as others)

Wally_in_Cincy
10-10-2002, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Warren, in your opinion she would probably put the U.S. Open telecast over the top? Perhaps you are right in your world wide thinking but in the States do we know who she is? Until Dave Syria sent out those Mosconi Tapes I had no idea who she was, Scott Smith, I knew who he was. I don't agree with you on the referee situation Warren, but that wacko in the Mosconi booth, Jimmy Wynn I think, that guy really got me pumped.

Kato

<hr></blockquote>

If he was a crazy guy it was probably Sid Waddell. I've never heard him but the Brits at the WPC forum have talked about him.

Fred Agnir
10-10-2002, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Qoute: "do y'all think it might be nice to invite michaela tabb to be the main table ref"

Main table. Center court. It most certainly is true. <hr></blockquote>
That's not what *you* said. You might be implying that the Centre Court Chair Umpire is always a Brit, but that's not what you said either.

Fred

Kato
10-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Yep, Sid Waddell. Call me crazy but I really like his style. Kind of like a WWE announcer.

Kato

Fred Agnir
10-10-2002, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr>
i wasn't suggesting making michaela the tourney director, which i believe is scott smith's position. <hr></blockquote>
I think this is a good point. For some reason, people are sort of defending Scott Smith as if Warren has suggested to replace him. Scott does refereeing almost by default when he's the tourney director. Fortunately, Scott has done other tournaments where he was the director, and other folks were the referees. That includes the finals. So, replacing Scott isn't an issue.

I think the whole "Michaela Tabb as referee" might be a step in a good direction. The same ol' same ol' doesn't seem to be bringing any more interest.

Fred

10-10-2002, 07:30 AM
The post was directed at the original comment which discussed main table referees. If you misunderstood the post, that's ok, it happens, but don't be so accusatory.

Fred Agnir
10-10-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> The post was directed at the original comment which discussed main table referees. If you misunderstood the post, that's ok, it happens, but don't be so accusatory. <hr></blockquote>
So, let me get this straight. You're back-pedaling, right? You figured you said something so misleading that it's pretty much false, I call you on it, and now I'm "accusatory." Exactly what was I accusing you of again?

Don't worry, people with more brains have posted incorrect information before. Deal with it. There are some 50 non-British chair umpires for Wimbledon, not to mention the various line judges.

As the ultimate FU, it didn't take much research to find:

"Mike Morrisey, from Great Britain, is a Gold Badge Chair Umpire and has umpired finals at Wimbledon, Australian Open and Roland Garros, as well as Davis Cup Finals."

Fred &lt;~~~ like that condescension, Mr. Anonymous?

10-10-2002, 08:30 AM
I apologize for being incorrect. I had some bad information there. HOWEVER, your insistence that I was originally referring to ALL umpires when I actually wasn't was about as arrogant as it gets. You do that a lot.

BillyRinNC
10-10-2002, 12:07 PM
I agree with you that Scott is not an issue. He is going no where.. He knows the players, the game, and most importantly is a fixture and does a good job. I like Scott and what he adds to the game.

For TV they may choose to use a little window dressing to rack balls etc.

Again another great US Open this year thanks Barry and Brady.

BR