PDA

View Full Version : Is Running out a Rack harder in 8 or 9 Ball ?

bigbro6060
10-09-2002, 07:05 AM
Is running out a rack from the break harder in 8Ball or 9Ball ?

I hardly play 9Ball so i can't really comment

would be interested in hearing from those who play both

Chris Cass
10-09-2002, 07:17 AM
Hi Bro,

9ball.

C.C.

Drake
10-09-2002, 07:19 AM
A nine ball rack is generally harder to run because you HAVE to play shape on the next ball. In Eight ball you have many other balls you can play when you miss position. Eight Ball generally requires more strategy and better shot selection....Nine ball is usually just "Connect The Dot runouts".

Fred Agnir
10-09-2002, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigbro6060:</font><hr> Is running out a rack from the break harder in 8Ball or 9Ball ?

would be interested in hearing from those who play both <hr></blockquote>
I think that you need to have a higher skill set to run out in 9-ball consistently on a 9' table.

That being said, in 8-ball, some full table runouts are much easier and others are much harder than 9-ball runouts. So, there's a range of difficulty. In 9-ball, the difficulty range is smaller.

On a bar table, because of the smaller space and congestion, a break in run in 9-ball might be easier for an intermediate to advanced player. Beginners will still have trouble playing the necessary position, however.

Fred

10-09-2002, 02:31 PM
It certainly depends upon who you are and which of the three skill levels is your forte.........randyg

10-09-2002, 04:18 PM
On a 9-foot table: 9-ball is harder (because the shots are more difficult to execute)
On a 7-foot table: 8-ball is harder (because it is so crowded)

Chris Cass
10-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi Randy,

Glad to hear from you. I agree with you on that point. Heck, every point. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Best Regards,

C.C.

bigbro6060
10-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Which three skills ?

socrates
10-09-2002, 09:10 PM
In my opinion running a rack is harder in 9 ball.

Generally an eight ball pattern can be put together that will minimize cue ball movement or better yet be primarily a stop shot pattern through much of the sequence.

Nine ball generally does not present this opportunity.

In addition, the brain must be engaged differntly in nine ball. Again since the cue ball usually will not need to travel as far in an eight ball pattern eight ball shape generally allows you to play for a shallower angle on the object ball thus making the pocketing of the object ball easier. To continue to obtain proper angles in nine ball generally requires a bigger angle on the object ball so that the cue ball will travel without the need to hit the shot at warp speed or juice it up with english.

Since I grew up playing primarily straight pool with patterns similar to eight ball remembering to engage the brain differntly in nine ball is a constant challenge for me. If I am not thinking properly I keep leaving myself shallow angles where I can make the object ball but really have no easy way home to obtain the correct angle on the next ball.

In any event those are some of the reasons for my opinion.

BillyRinNC
10-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Without a doubt it is much harder in 9 Ball. It is much more frequent for me in 8 Ball. I have a good appreciation of this game that requires smart play. They are very different games though and 8 ball can take longer to complete particularly in a tough match. Very good league game to train people the fundamentals in.

BillyR

eg8r
10-09-2002, 10:35 PM
I say 9 ball is harder ( I don't run many of either).

eg8r

cheesemouse
10-10-2002, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigbro6060:</font><hr> Is running out a rack from the break harder in 8Ball or 9Ball ?

would be interested in hearing from those who play both <hr></blockquote>
IMO Barbox&gt; 9-ball easier&gt; less clutter
9-foot&gt; 8-ball easier&gt; better spread, bigger windows.

Chris Cass
10-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi Steve,

Just like Karate, all pool games on any size table has a particular flow you must follow. Being one with the table and patterns. It's when you lose control of the cb and end up somewhat out of flow is where the troubles begin.

Most just say, out of line and the need to get back in line. They're refering to the flow of the pattern. In 8ball the flow takes many turns and changes, due to clusters and breakouts. A good 8ball player is aware of this and is ready to change the flow to fit the pattern.

When someone falls short in positioning. He/she must count on their pocketing and cb control abilities to come out of it. Basically, what I call, fighting the table. True, there is less options in 9ball which makes it somewhat harder and easier. Harder in the aspect of getting back into the flow due to less balls to use to get back into the flow and easier because there's less options in choosing which pattern of flow to follow. In 8ball, there is many patterns or flows one could take. Taking the wrong one will leave them short of reaching their goal.

14.1, Banks, One Pocket and every game, there's different challenges one needs to complete the puzzle. A good straight pool player as yourself finds it easier. Funny, a old hustler once told me pool was easy. He said, "You just have to be on the right side of the ball."

Regards,

C.C.~~strickly MO

socrates
10-10-2002, 11:00 AM
Quote Chris Cass:
"You just have to be on the right side of the ball."

Heck I am never on the left side of the ball, I am always on the right side and I can't get out. Whats up with that.

Accountant humor.

rackmup
10-10-2002, 11:04 AM
I'm still working on a solid runout in 3-ball! I want to win the big, overstuffed animal.

Ken

SPetty
10-10-2002, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I'm still working on a solid runout in 3-ball! I want to win the big, overstuffed animal.<hr></blockquote>Hey Ken, it's four ball, and don't forget to get to the State Fair of Texas before it closes on 10/20! It's worth the effort, really.

rackmup
10-10-2002, 12:41 PM
4-balls? Man, I am in trouble!

Ken (having trouble scratching on purpose lately)

10-10-2002, 01:17 PM
IMO 8 ball is much harder than 9 ball. there are few breakout shots in 9 ball just more position play. In 8 ball you are constantly breaking out balls and clearing out pockets etc. One of the most fun things to watch is the valley 8 ball masters division and see how it is wide open they are making balls and going 3 rails for a break out.