PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely NPR, Giving platelettes

Kato
10-09-2002, 09:28 AM
I am a 3 plus gallon blood donor, a signed up marrow donor, and apparently a platelette donor as well. Yesterday the blood center called and explained to me as vaguely as humanly possible (read, she had no idea) the procedure for giving platelettes. The procedure takes approximately 90 minutes, that's 5400 seconds, and frankly I'm a little nervous about it. They did tell me it was for 2 young luekemia patients which ended all discussion (I did immediately get on the phone to The Broward Community Blood Center director and she told me they can't lie) for me. I'll try anything once. Anybody know what I'm getting into? Apparently 1 pint of blood (10 to 12 minutes for me) only contains 2 tablespoons of platelettes. Just wondering. I know giving marrow drains you out (I haven't been called yet) so I'm wondering about this.

Kato

ChrisW
10-09-2002, 09:50 AM
I have done it.
Its not bad. Its pretty much like donating whole blood.
they will take out your blood (not sure how much), run it through a machine to get the plateletes and pump it back into you. The real reason it takes 90 minutes is running it through the machine. you should just get to sit there watching TV with a needle in your arm.
If you give as much blood as you say then this will be no sweat.

Oh, also I think they refridgerate your blood before it goes back in. Just kidding, but it will be cold.

Good luck
It takes a good person to donate as much as you do! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Chris

Kato
10-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Chris, thanks for the reply. I was just really shocked when they told me how long and not being able to explain it at all. Hopefully I can watch SportsCenter. I've been giving since I turned 18 (I'm 31 years old going on 22), 3 gallons isn't really much of a stretch when you look at it like that.

Kato

CarolNYC
10-10-2002, 03:50 AM
RJ,
Chris is correct-its a procedure called plateletpheresis-most blood donated is usually donated as whole blood-but for leukemic patients(overabundance of WBC) they need platelets for clotting and RBC for oxygen-the blood is drawn,centrifuged and certain portions are recovered and then the blood is returned to you-God bless you-are you a Universal donor?
Carol~takes forever for me to read posts!:)

Kato
10-10-2002, 06:45 AM
I'm O+ so I'm not sure. Believe it or not I don't know what I am. I know that I will be signed up as a trifecta giver, Whole blood, platelettes, and marrow.

Kato

WesK
10-11-2002, 04:46 AM
You are a saint.

wes

Brian in VA
10-11-2002, 06:43 AM
It's called pheresis donation, Kato, and I've been doing it for about 10 years or so. They hook both arms up, although our place also has a single arm machine that's nearly always in use when I get there, and take your blood out, spin it through a machine that separates the platelets and then pump it back into you. Take 90 to 120 minutes depending on how fast you bleed. Only down side is having to keep your arms still for that long; my elbows get kind of sore. You also can't scratch any itches yourself but the staff is usually willing to assist. :-) Go fot it, it'll make you feel good. (I'm a proud 5 gallon donor, too.) BTW, you won't be tired after this procedure.
Brian in Va

Kato
10-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Now that is good to know Brian. I really appreciate the info.

Kato~~~suck my blood, I don't care.

MikeM
10-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Well Wes, Kato is a nice guy, no doubt, but a saint? LOL

MM

Kato
10-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Well, it's true, many people have seemed to overstate my value to the human race. While it's true I give blood and don't break many mirrors most of my other qualities are obscure at best.

Kato~~~master of the 3 ball run