PDA

View Full Version : Rack-A-Round

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Has anyone ever used this rack/drill system? Is it better than practicing the "L" drill? I was just curious to know what the advantages are in using it. Thanks in advance!

http://www.billiards.com/mall/rackaround.asp

rackmup
10-09-2002, 10:14 AM
It's just another cueball control drill.

Yes, I use it but I don't have the little nifty plastic ring to set it up with OR to be laughed out of the poolroom with. I wonder if it comes with it's own carrying case?

Regards,

Ken (enjoying the first day of his new single life with a cup of coffee, bacon, eggs, biscuits and the dogs.)

10-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Hi 9, Stretch hear. yes i do both drills and i don't think it's a matter of which one is better because they train different things. The Object of shooting circles is to make every ball while keeping the cueball within the circle. This gives you very good Centre Table skills, with a lot of touch and control. Every pocket is available but you need to find the natural angles and play the cueball with very small distances which means all your shots are planed with angles of 10 degrees or less. That's not a big margin to play with. Also, because you must keep the cueball in the circle every shot you'll need some amount of draw. Good drill for stop, stun, and draw shots, and getting on "the right side", of your next shot.

I like the L too. You can employ the rails as routes to get on the next ball so it works your knowledge of speed and spin, plus, i don't know about you, but me, i shoot more to the broad end of the ideal shape zone so the L more often then not turns into a middle to long range target practise. LOL The kiss of death in most of these drills of course is jamming yourself to the rail. It makes cueing difficult and really cuts down your options. Which is why you should practice those shots constantly! Learn to love them and be good at it. They will always come up. St

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 12:57 PM
Hi Stetch. I too do the same thing that you do with the L. Sometimes I'm right on but then there are the times that I'm way off and wind up having a Z instead of an L! LOL /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif I've always thought about buying the Rackaround but never got around to doing it. Maybe I'll buy one. I already get strange looks when I practice staying down til the cueball stops so what's another look? LOL

Thanks for the info and thank you Ken.

10-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Yes it's soooooo easy to loose that cue ball isn't it. I've been buisy fine tuneing my speed control to resolve some of my heavier shots. Fact is most people you see playing are probably shooting thier shots way harder than is neccessary. This invariable leeds to rattled pockets and overrun shape. With that in mind i set about to work on a few things today. You might like to try this out, so i'll blather on lol.

Take all the striped balls and line them up accross the middle of the table with thier stripes running horizontal. What you want to do is useing one tip of draw, strike the ball towards the end rail so that the ball flips over before it picks up a forward roll, it's easy to observe this with the stripes. For me, it takes about a foot of green before the ball starts to forward roll. After this the ball will roll down to the end rail, and bounce back to the centre. The reason i line the balls up is to just move from shot to shot untill the weight is etched in my mind. This is now your " referance shot ". You will find that this stroke when shot from behind the head string will roll the length of the table and bounce back a good diamonds length. It's all the wieght you really need to sink any ball within a one or two foot range. It also makes you more aware of the length of skid you are actualy producing with the cue ball. This knowledge will greatly inhanse your wieght controll as you observe what the cue ball does after contact useing your referance shot to guage what's needed for all the other demands of getting to the next ball.

Ahhh you'll have 'ol whitey on a string before you know it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gifSt