PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at the table

10-09-2002, 12:05 PM
What is the common rule regardin smoking while shooting during league play? NO CIGS on TABLE is a MUST, But what about hanging out the players mouth?

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi Kelly. I'm assuming you're referring to bar leagues. I've actually seen them put cigs on the rails while they shoot 'cause the smoke was getting in their eyes when they let it dangle from their mouths. And when they do let them dangle from their mouths, I always see the ashes falling on the table. In the bar leagues that I've played in, I've never seen anyone enforce "rules" on cigs.

rackmup
10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Funny you mention this. A league that my buddy, Les (OnePocketChamp) plays in, has a "No Smoking" rule. He often comes to the table with an unlit cig in his mouth and they called him on it.

The reason for the "No Smoking" rule is easily understood as hot ashes and Simonis don't mix well but unlit? That's no more of a threat than a toothpick hanging from one's mouth.

Regards,

Ken (okay...now they'll ban toothpicks)

Lester
10-09-2002, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Funny you mention this. A league that my buddy, Les (OnePocketChamp) plays in, has a "No Smoking" rule. He often comes to the table with an unlit cig in his mouth and they called him on it.

The reason for the "No Smoking" rule is easily understood as hot ashes and Simonis don't mix well but unlit? That's no more of a threat than a toothpick hanging from one's mouth.

Regards,

Ken (okay...now they'll ban toothpicks) <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;And well they should call him on it, Ken. An obvious sharking technique. They could even cite the new terrorist rules, because how can you shoot when he could subject you to potentially life threatening, second hand smoke - any time he wants with a simple flick of a bic. I'll have to look into the recycling laws and see what I can find on the toothpick. ***Lester***

10-09-2002, 01:03 PM
I consider giving people emphysema a form of sharking and therefore unsportsmanlike conduct which should result in forfeiture of the match. On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with playing with an UNLIT cigerette in one's mouth.

phil in sofla
10-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Our league doesn't have any rule on cigarettes/cigars at all, but many of the establishments enforce a no lit cigarette/cigar anywhere near the table, including in the mouth of someone just racking. Any lit cigarette can drop ashes at any given moment.

Oddly, our pool hall has one older Brunswick with two ashtrays built into the two corner pockets on one side of the table. Still more oddly, the proprieter is upset when people actually leave their butts there.

Growing up, shooting in bars, placing the cigarette on the rail of the bar bax was extremely common, as was forgetting it was there long enough for the cigarette to burn down and leave a burn/tar mark on the formica surface of the rail.

OnePocketChamp
10-09-2002, 04:43 PM
I whole heartedly agree with the rule against having a lit cigarette in your mouth or hand when at the table. I find it too the extreme when they also include unlit cigarettes but I respect the rules and mandates from our pool leagues and try faithfully to abide by them. I just wish they would enact the mandatory micro mini skirt rule for the lady players. Where is the justice?????

eg8r
10-09-2002, 10:29 PM
I hear ya. Sometimes it just is not fair.

eg8r

eg8r
10-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Ken, I don't think he learned a thing. lol, I caught him doing it a couple times earlier this evening playing 1p.

By the way, Heather said it was nice meeting the two of you. I am surprised to see she had a good time at the ph, she generally does not spend much time there.

eg8r

rackmup
10-09-2002, 10:56 PM
On the ride back to my truck, Les and I both commented on what a nice wife you have. Attractive too. Then, almost as if we were in "stereo", we asked each other:

"Why do you think she's with him?"

We both suspect some form of blackmail, possibly dating back to your days in college together. C'mon...do you have some "odd" photos of her that you threatened to show?

Regards,

Ken (always worried when the female half of a pool-playing pal meets me. It usually means the end of the pool-playing friendship)