PDA

View Full Version : What drills do you prefer?

smfsrca
10-09-2002, 02:16 PM
It would be useful to have a thread which actually describes various drills using the RSB pool table.
RSB pool table help:
<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html>http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html</a>
Here is my contribution:
9 BALL RAIL DRILL:
Place the 9 ball on the center spot.
Place the 1 - 8 balls frozen to the cushion at the first diamond from each corner pocket in random order.
Take ball in hand and run out.
RSB pool table setup
START(
%AH7D0%BC6I3%Cr9H9%Dm9Z9%Em9C9%FC8U9%Gs0U9%HH7Z8%I[0N8%PS0E6

)END

Once you have completed this run.
Move the balls at the long rail diamond to the second diamond and repeat.
RSB pool table setup:
START(
%Ag6C9%Bg6[0%CC7V1%DC8I1%EO1Z8%FO2C9%Gr9U8%Hr9H8%I[0N8%Pa9E8

)END

Tom_In_Cincy
10-09-2002, 02:53 PM
smfsrca

here is a recent thread that will include more of the same type of drills...

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=37533&amp; Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=9%20ball%20dril l&amp;Match=And&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main =37504

10-09-2002, 03:09 PM
I always start my pratice sessions with some drills to enforce correct alignment and proper stroke. For these drills, I am not just putting the balls up and firing them in. I am giving MUCH conscious thought to making sure I am aligned properly and stroking properly. Starting out each practice session this way helps to enforce good habits and prevent bad habits from creeping into my technique.

I go through each one of these shots, on each side of the table (so on one set I'm cutting to the left, on the other I'm cutting to the right) with a rack of 15 balls. Each of these are hit medium-hard to hard. I leave my tip unchalked. You think you are hitting centerball? Wipe all the chalk off of your tip and try firing these shots in at a medium-hard to hard speed!

START(
%AT6D7%Pp7F7%UD5C9%VS8D7%]V4D9%^o9F7

)END

START(
%AT3F5%Po9E7%UD5C9%VS3F5%]U9F6%^o0E7

)END

START(
%AU9D9%Pp8K2%UD5C9%VT9D8%]W6E4%^o7J9

)END

START(
%AW7M5%Pp8R9%UD5C9%VV6M0%]Y4N1%^o8R6

)END

On a 9-foot table with at least averge-tightness pockets, concentrating on making sure you are aligned correctly and stroking correctly, hitting medium-hard to hard with an unchalked tip, these are NOT easy shots.

10-10-2002, 07:42 AM
DRILLS?! Drills?! You mean we're supposed to practice in a thoughtful, structured way? I thought I was just supposed to do things by instinct and WILL the balls in with my 90% mental powers and gamble in order to improve! This is a revelation. Thank you. (This lame attempt at sarcasm is not directed at you. Genuine thanks for your helpful contribution) /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
10-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Here is a couple that I shoot sometimes. It definately tunes your draw and follow strokes plus lets you know when your past your limits. The 5 and c/b start there each time, draw the c/b to the 2,3,4,5,6,7th, diamonds. Then start the c/b at the 3rd 4th etc diamonds and repeat. The same can be done with follow just change the angle as needed, it will prove easier to start the c/b at the 3rd diamond if you choose. You can alternate between follow and draw, it will show you the difference in speed of stroke for a given distance. It really pays off when you need to follow or draw at different distances. Say your straight in on a 5' shot and you need to draw the c/b 1 foot, not 6" or 18". Be warmed up before you start.

START(
%AM5O6%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%En3D3%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pg8D3
%eB4b5
)END

Paul_Mon
10-11-2002, 06:56 AM
The following is a drill I'll use to warm up for 1 pocket. If executed perfectly you'll get shape on the 2 ball for another long rail bank. This drill also gives you a feel for making long cut shots down the rail and promotes the "pocket speed" needed for 1 pocket.

START(
%AN7Y6%JO0D9%PH3W9%QI3E7%WM2Y4%XI0X1%eB7a9%_E3[0%`s3Y4%aO4Y7

)END

Paul Mon

10-11-2002, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: smfsrca:</font><hr> It would be useful to have a thread which actually describes various drills using the RSB pool table.
RSB pool table help:
<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html>http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html</a>
Here is my contribution:
9 BALL RAIL DRILL:
Place the 9 ball on the center spot.
Place the 1 - 8 balls frozen to the cushion at the first diamond from each corner pocket in random order.
Take ball in hand and run out.
RSB pool table setup
START(
%AH7D0%BC6I3%Cr9H9%Dm9Z9%Em9C9%FC8U9%Gs0U9%HH7Z8%I[0N8%PS0E6

)END

Once you have completed this run.
Move the balls at the long rail diamond to the second diamond and repeat.
RSB pool table setup:
START(
%Ag6C9%Bg6[0%CC7V1%DC8I1%EO1Z8%FO2C9%Gr9U8%Hr9H8%I[0N8%Pa9E8

)END
<hr></blockquote>

I like the "no-rail" drill where you spread the balls out everywhere, not 6" from the rail or each other, and then take ball-in-hand and run them out without touching a rail with the cueball. Jim Rempe swears by this drill. I think you'll learn the most about cueball control in 5 minutes of playing this drill, than you will in a year of playing 8-ball at the bar.