PDA

View Full Version : Mike Erwin (cuemaker) - Deceased

SpiderMan
10-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Mom called me this afternoon, and said that Mike Erwin (custom cuemaker from Strayhorn, MS) died this week.

Mike Erwin was Bob Meucci's first employee when he started his business in Memphis, TN back in the early 1970s, and eventually ran Bob's expanded shop. Some say that the decline in Meucci quality coincided with Mike Erwin leaving (he didn't want to raise his kids in the urban blight that Memphis had become) to open his own business in rural Mississippi. Meucci himself moved soon afterwards. Come to think of it, so did a lot of businesses!

Mike was the only guy on the planet (including the current Meucci shop) who could accurately rebuild/refinish old Meucci originals. He even had "Meucci Original" roll stamps to re-create the butt caps if necessary.

Mike re-finished my Jacoby after my 2007 motorcycle wreck with it tied across the seat, and I thought the result was "better than new". A really conscientious craftsman who believed in giving every customer his money's worth and more. Nice guy, too - first met him years ago when he was best man at my cousin's wedding.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
That's sad news Marty. You still have a pristene custom he built don't ya? Maybe you should honor Mike by playing with it for a while since he matched it to your physical frame and height. Have you ever hit a ball with that cue in all these years? I would play some with it, just to know if I was missing a whole other dimension to my game.

You'll miss Mike not being there. Sid

Eric.
10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
My condolences to his family and friends.

Eric