PDA

View Full Version : I wonder why ...

LWW
10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
... Obama didn't cause the oceans to recede yesterday?

Soflasnapper
10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
They receded on their own, as per usual, when the tide went back out. (Landfall was right around peak high tide, and a neap tide at that, iirc.)

LWW
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you for ducking the question.

Soflasnapper
10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Short answer, even rolling back the last 10 years of ocean level rising would be ineffective and unnoticeable in this situation. We're talking millimeters a year.

Slightly longer answer, I believe he talked about slowing the sea rise, not reducing its level*. Because that cannot happen as the CO2 rises, and it has been. All the questions of global warming are how much will these things rise, before we slow them down. Decades of continued warming and sea level rises are built into the cake now.

Longer answer is that the cap and trade proposal of McCain and Palin, and their little friend Lindsay Graham, etc., was swiftly abandoned after the election was lost, and although I think it's true that the House passed cap and trade in some form, it was a non-starter in the Senate after Big Oil reined in some of the more sensible Republicans (and activated some of their bought and paid for Democrats).

*Yes, I am correct as to what he said.

Even the serial liar Myth Robme quoted Obama more accurately than you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In his acceptance speech on Thursday, Romney said, “President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans (pause for mocking laughter) and heal the planet. MY promise is to help you and your family.” </div></div>

And of course, he was wrong as well:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not surprisingly, Romney’s recitation of what Obama said isn’t correct. Obama never said “he was going to slow the rise of the oceans,” but rather he said – in his June 4, 2008, victory speech after clinching the Democratic nomination – that “the American people,” i.e. by changing policies and leaders, would look back at this moment as the time “the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.”</div></div>

So you've asked why he didn't accomplish what he didn't say he'd do in the first place.

Grapenut
10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
The air must be wonderful in Libtardia.

Nut

LWW
11-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Very thin however, very thin.

Soflasnapper
11-01-2012, 11:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grapenut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The air must be wonderful in Libtardia.

Nut </div></div>

I don't recall insulting you for your differing views.

Is it because you have nothing substantive to counter my point with? You know, some quote where Obama said what LWW or Romney said he said?

If he never said it, let alone promised he'd do it, these attempts at ridicule are simply unfunny jokes based on poor reading or memory skills.

But playing along, do you think 'slowing the rise' is the same as 'making it decline' or whatever formulation you care to use?