PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane aftermath.

Sev
10-31-2012, 06:18 AM
Anybody in its path sustain any damage in their local area?
Nothing in my areas.

Gayle in MD
10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Lost a big huge Oak tree. The root ball must be seven feet in diameter, at the least. It was inside of one of my beautiful flower beds. We were very lucky that other closer trees, kept it from falling into our house.

It looks pretty funny, with big huge Hostas and the stalks of what's left of the beautiful Fox Glove I planted around it, hanging off the root ball, lol.

We lost electric for seven hours, not bad at all, and got our cable back on today.

Haven't heard of any serious flooding, or problems, where I live, and the boat, which is kept in Ocean City, MD., is fine as well. We did have it pulled and blocked for the winter. Our Marina made out great.

Glad things are OK for you.

Hope all CCBers are doing fine.

Think it's time to start naming these huge storms after the Oil Companies? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

G.

Solomon Grundy
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
My neighborhood did not sustain any major damage. The power never went out and there was no flooding at all. We are on top of the Palisades, which is the highest ground, so all the water heads down towards the Hudson river. In the complex were I live we did have four trees blown down (Two huge old Maples, one Oak, and one Cherry tree). Amazingly enough not one car in the parking areas was damaged by trees, tree limbs, or flying debris. The roof of the parking garages for an adjacent condo development was blown off and torn to shreds but it did no damage to any other property.

The lower lying areas did not fare well. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and a bunch of other stores were wiped out by flood surge and wind, and Palisades Hospital (which is right by the Hudson) had to be evacuated. Hoboken is a disaster with 20,000 people still trapped in flooded areas. Jersey City got hit hard as well. Traffic lights are out in many sections and lots of people are still without power, heat, or running water.

In South Jersey there is tremendous damage. Seaside Heights is destroyed, Long Branch is wiped out, and many other towns have also experienced catastrophic damage including loss of lives.

It will be quite some time before New Jersey recovers. Some places will never be the same again. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I urge everyone to contribute cash to the Red Cross for disaster relief in all of the affected states and to donate blood (blood supplies are extremely low throughout the North East). Please do not donate canned goods, or the like, to the Red Cross, donate them to local food pantries and charities instead.

Gayle in MD
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Glad to learn you're ok.

It is really so sad watching the clips from J annd NY.

People who have lost everything they have worked for all of their lives. Some, even worse, who have lost their loved ones.

And worse yet, knowing that such natural disasters are going to continue, and will in fact increase in frequency and severity, as long as we have people in government denying climate change, the causes, and blocking efforts to address it in time to avoid more of these sorts of disasters.

We're very lucky to have a president like president Obama at the helm.

G.

G.