PDA

View Full Version : A good day or a easy table?

Chris Cass
10-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Today was something else. The place I play had installed all Diamond Smart Tables. Well, today this friend of mine yanked me off the 9ft. Taiwan table to play a set on the Diamond Bar Box.

He says, "Race to 7, winner breaks." I won the flip and broke. I made 4 nine balls off the snap, 2 caroms on the nine and broke and ran one rack. He looked at me and said,"Chris, did I say something wrong?" LOL

I couldn't believe it myself. Then, I measure the pocket openings by placing two balls in the pockets. The corner pockets had 1/4" between two balls and the side pockets had nearly 1" between two balls. That's way too much pocket. IMO This baffles me why they are so big?

Anyway, it was something different for sure. 4 out of 7 games were off the snap? What are the odds of that? hummm, could have taken Scott Lee to the cleaners on that one. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-10-2002, 06:47 PM
Chris.

Scott would have won the flip.. LOL

phil in sofla
10-10-2002, 10:02 PM
I had a similar set on a tight pocket 9 foot table. Broke, had an immediate carom on the 9. Snapped in two 9s. Broke, had an immediate carom on the nine. Snapped in the 9. Race to 5, double the stake on the schneid, and it took about 5 minutes. The 9s went in 3 different pockets.

Next set, my opponent racked a little different, and I didn't make another 9 that night.

I think I had just found a sweet spot, for where it had been racked before, for how the table was playing and how I was breaking that night. Since I have it on good authority you could give me the 6 out and 6 games on the wire, race to 15, I think you also found a sweet spot and repeated the same shot close enough each time that you made the 9 or made it roll toward a pocket. Although bucket pockets probably didn't hurt, LOL!

Chris Cass
10-11-2002, 04:21 AM
HAHAHAHHAAA

Yeh Phil,

They're buckets alright. LOL I think your authority has been hitting the sauce again. Maybe, drinking alot of that fancy coffee too. hahahahaaa

Regards,

C.C.~~definitely a day that they'll talk about for awhile. LOL

cheesemouse
10-11-2002, 06:51 AM
Chris,
Back in the early 80's I walk in to the Hunt & Fish Tavern in Beaverton, Oregon around lunchtime. I see two guys I know playing $10 9-ball on a barbox and I ask them if they want to make it a ring game. "Sure why not" they reply. I naturally come in shooting third. I pull the rack and the first guy puts up eight straight games when he finally swells one up and the second guy puts up four then they both leave as their lunch hour is over. That lunch cost me $125.95. They were laughing as the door hit them in the a$$.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-11-2002, 07:00 AM
Bigger pockets = more games played = more dinero $$$

I imagine those pocket were "APA Specs". That's what they used in Vegas in August.

10-11-2002, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Everyone,

Today was something else. The place I play had installed all Diamond Smart Tables. Well, today this friend of mine yanked me off the 9ft. Taiwan table to play a set on the Diamond Bar Box.

He says, "Race to 7, winner breaks." I won the flip and broke. I made 4 nine balls off the snap, 2 caroms on the nine and broke and ran one rack. He looked at me and said,"Chris, did I say something wrong?" LOL

I couldn't believe it myself. Then, I measure the pocket openings by placing two balls in the pockets. The corner pockets had 1/4" between two balls and the side pockets had nearly 1" between two balls. That's way too much pocket. IMO This baffles me why they are so big?

Anyway, it was something different for sure. 4 out of 7 games were off the snap? What are the odds of that? hummm, could have taken Scott Lee to the cleaners on that one. LOL

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

that crap never happens to me.. quite the opposite actually.. I break, and I make the 6 ball, and I'm snookered on the 1. I push out for a kick shot, and my opponent takes the kick and makes it and runs out. Then he breaks and runs out twice, then finally doesn't make anything on the break, and I have a end to end, strait-in shot on the 1-ball that, even if I make, I will have NO position on the 2 ball..

well, you know the story. Er.. maybe not??!! ;&gt;

ChrisW
10-11-2002, 10:32 AM
There is a tavern here that has two diamond tables.
The pockets are cut a little deeper but the they are
not any wider. They actually play tighter because they are deeper.
IMO they are probably the best bar boxes in town.
Most other places use Vally bar boxes.
Chris

WesK
10-11-2002, 02:56 PM
1 ball = 2 1/4". 2 balls = 4 1/2".

2 balls + 1/4" = 4 3/4"; BCA says 4 7/8" - 5 1/8" for the corners.

2 balls + 1" = 5 1/2"; BCA says 5 3/8" - 5 5/8" for the sides.

I think that the table was fair if not "tight". I'd say that you had a good day. Why ask why? Just enjoy it.

Unless, of course, you measured with snooker balls.

wes

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Everyone,

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

Greg from Diamond posted this back during the summer:
"The pocket specifications for the APA were set by Terry Bell and Larry Hubbert of the APA. The opening on the corner pocket tip to tip is 4 and 13/16 inches with an angle of 140 degrees around the tip. The sides are at 5 and 5/16 inches. The slate depth is constructed where 40 percent of the object ball must remain visible when at it's deepest point in the pocket........ These specs are close to my standard billiard cut pocket only allowing for a 140 degree corner rather than my standard 142 degree..... The relaxing of the angle makes the acceptance of early rail contact more possible. These specs are by no means easy, you will still be punished for poor cue ball control. However the pockets are not as difficult as regular pro specs........ The general feeling was making the pockets too difficult would upset the previously established handicap system... I'm curious to hear players responces to these specs. At least we have specs established and if something is wrong it can be changed... It's definitely a step in the right direction IMO......Greg/Diamond