PDA

View Full Version : Magic Rack, Can He Still Slug Rack?

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Can an opponent still alter the rack on you with one of these Magic Racks? sid

Rich R.
11-03-2012, 07:28 AM
They can still tilt the rack slightly one way or the other unless you are watching closely.

The bottom line with any rack is to make sure you check it yourself before breaking.

Sid_Vicious
11-03-2012, 10:10 AM
So the pack can't be made loose, correct. Alignment angle bothers me less. Thanks. sid

Rich R.
11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
There may be some way to make it loose but I'm not aware of it.

Fran Crimi
11-05-2012, 07:20 PM
What's your definition of a slug rack and how is one accomplished?

Eric.
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Based on my opinion, yes and no...

Other than the stated move of tilting the rack or racking high, you can't slug the rack(that I know of).

What happens over a short time is that the MR ball holes/template wears a lil bit. Once that happens, it is almost impossible to get a perfect rack, which can lead to a bit of a slug.

Eric >give or take

SpiderMan
11-07-2012, 11:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can an opponent still alter the rack on you with one of these Magic Racks? sid </div></div>

If you mean "can the racker intentionally leave gaps between balls?", I'd say the answer is yes.

Though I've never tried to deliberately put gaps in a particular place, I have noticed that contact, clustering, and friction between adjacent balls often prevents them from "moving in" to hug the nine until I give them a fingertip nudge. Two of my weekly play dates use the magic rack exclusively, and I've noticed this in both places (league and Spetty's).

The magic rack HELPS you freeze the balls, but it doesn't necessarily force you to.

SpiderMan

Bambu
11-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Check the gaps he makes around the 9 ball when he racks. If the gaps are consistent, he may be guilty. To be sure, see if he can do the same on another table. (That would be tough to "accidentally" repeat.) And/or, see how he reacts to spotting the 9 if it drops on the break.

Sid_Vicious
11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I just thought that the Magic Rack was designed to almost make it difficult to even gap balls. In my personal situation, the game is friendly enough that checking the racks almost never happens, it is a cheap wager game, and I am getting all the breaks anyway. sid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the gaps he makes around the 9 ball when he racks. If the gaps are consistent, he may be guilty. To be sure, see if he can do the same on another table. (That would be tough to "accidentally" repeat.) And/or, see how he reacts to spotting the 9 if it drops on the break. </div></div>

Bambu
11-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Sure, the MR is designed for a tight rack. People can get sneaky though, create a trick MR template. Its probably possible to file down the holes in a certain way, to make the 9 ball move more.

So what I meant was, if I saw the 9 move consistently despite the MR, I'd be questioning the rack. Not directly/obviously though, from a distance. I would only say/do something if I saw consistent gaps around the 9.

Sid_Vicious
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
thanks