PDA

View Full Version : Shaping A Non Domed Layered Tip By Hand?

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2002, 08:23 PM
I installed a tip tonight using the Willard(not a domed tip) and would like comments from you self installers about the routine of putting a penny or nickel rounding on it without using a mechanized device. I have access to one of those tubes with sandpaper sticky taped in the valley of the tube. Is there a lot of negative to attacking the shaping on an absolutely flat, layered tip using only your hands and this tool? Maybe something saying I'd be far ahead by farming the task to a lathe man? Thanks in advance...sid

Troy
10-10-2002, 09:04 PM
Up front Sid, I haven't tried to do what you ask, but you might try using one of those metal/plastic sandpaper holders that Mueller's sells that has a slight curvature to it and is about 9" long. Be sure to sand from the center toward the edge at an angle. (Going from edge toward center at an angle on a layered tip will put a strain on the layers !!!)

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I installed a tip tonight using the Willard(not a domed tip) and would like comments from you self installers about the routine of putting a penny or nickel rounding on it without using a mechanized device. I have access to one of those tubes with sandpaper sticky taped in the valley of the tube. Is there a lot of negative to attacking the shaping on an absolutely flat, layered tip using only your hands and this tool? Maybe something saying I'd be far ahead by farming the task to a lathe man? Thanks in advance...sid <hr></blockquote>

TalismanTony
10-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi Sid,

I sometimes don't have easy access to a lathe and quite often shape my own tips. I use one of the domes on the ultimate 5 in 1 tool, this is very similar the inexpensive williardís shaper.

After glueing the tip to the shaft and then taking down the diameter of the tip to match the ferrule, I put the tool on the ground and hold it with my feet; I then turn the shaft upside down, putting the tip down into the dome. Then I slowly roll the shaft between my palms. Just got to take care to keep shaft perpendicular and turn the shaft a quarter turn in between rolling the shaft between you palms, to make sure the dome shape is square on the tip and equal on all sides.

At the BCA in July I met Mike Niver and got one of his "pocket lathes" You can see them here:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.playpool.com/store/>http://www.playpool.com/store/</a>.

This has two little wheel sets to hold the shaft and uses the "half tubes" you mentioned. I've used this on a few tips and it worked quite well.

If care is taken, both do the job pretty well.

I still recommend to most people that they find a professional to install a new tip, the money is usually well spent as I properly installed tip should last a long time. Also taking down the tip diameter to the ferrule diameter is not as easy as shaping and does require tools for the job to be done neatly.

Kind regards,

#### leonard
10-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Sid I would take a sharp razor knife and peel the edge of the tip like you would peel an orange. Then a folded sheet of medium sandpaper and form the tip. Babe Cranfield always admire my tip work. I never ever used a lathe, just a razor knife and sandpaper and a black magic marker to dye the edge black.####

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2002, 12:08 PM
That's sounds very logical and easy to do. I just now tried that technique, and even though it isn't perfect, it sure gets me into "easy rounding" range for the tube shaper. Thanks! sid

SpiderMan
10-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Tony,

Do you have a contact method for Mike Niver, maybe got his business card? I ordered one of the pocket lathes and when it arrived parts seemed to be missing, also no instruction sheet.

SpiderMan

TonyM
10-11-2002, 01:49 PM
The easiest way to do it is often overlooked. Get a nice new single edged razor blade (or one of those "Olfa" knives) and actually "carve" a dome by hand before shaping. The sharp blade can cut even the hardest leather quite easily. You basically just whittle away a small amount at a time, until the entire tip looks like a rough (faceted) dome. Then take the shaping tool of your choice and finish it off.

Tony

10-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Before yo begin to work on the top, finish and burnish the sides completely. It will help in not having the tip get all ragged. Use several grits of papar also, starting out with 100 and finishing up with 320.

WaltVA
10-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Spiderman - the contact info on my instruction sheet is mniver@excel.net

HTH - Walt in VA

TalismanTony
10-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi Spiderman,

I have the same email address as Walt: mniver@excel.net

The set I got did have instructions and shows how all the pieces are assembled.

Kind regards,