PDA

View Full Version : Crist, 'Scott Block 4 Early Voting 'Indefensible'

Gayle in MD
11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Charlie Crist: Rick Scott's Refusal To Extend Florida Early Voting Is 'Indefensible' </span>

WASHINGTON -- Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) sharply criticized Gov. Rick Scott (R) on Sunday for his refusal to extend early voting hours in the state as individuals waited for hours in lines at the polls.
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>
"The only thing that makes any sense as to why this is happening and being done is voter suppression," </span>Crist said in an interview with The Huffington Post on Sunday. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>"That's unconscionable. I think it's just the wrong thing to do. And the right thing to do would be to sign an executive order to make sure this doesn't happen and you expand the hours."</span>

Scott has denied that there's any problem, saying it's "very good" that people are turning out to vote. Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner (R) argued the current situation is not an actual emergency that necessitates longer hours.

Crist disagrees. In 2008, he signed an executive order that increased the number of early-voting hours after individuals faced long lines at the polls.

"I did it because the disaster that was happening was that people weren't being able to exercise this precious right that is the foundation of our democracy. That's a disaster," he said. "When you have people waiting in line for four or five or even more hours -- and a lot of them are senior citizens like they are in the state of Florida -- that's a disaster. And it's wrong. And it's indefensible."

Scott did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A major reason there are such long lines at the polls is that last year, Florida's GOP-controlled legislature shortened the number of early voting days from 14 to eight, meaning all early voters are trying to cast their ballots in a shorter window. Previously, Floridians were allowed to vote on the Sunday before Election Day -- a day that typically had high traffic.

Crist said there was no justification for shortening that time period other than pure voter suppression.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"I don't think there's any question about it," he said. "It's certainly not voter encouragement, let's put it that way. I just don't understand why you do something like that unless you're trying to keep some people from the opportunity to be able to vote."</span>

Traditionally, Democratic voters are more likely to turn out to vote early. According to an analysis of 2008 election results in Ohio's Cuyahoga County by the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, African Americans use in-person early voting at approximately 26 times the rate of white voters.

Crist -- a Republican turned independent -- was in South Florida on Sunday, attending President Barack Obama's rally that attracted a crowd of 23,000 people.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"It's a terrible shame," Crist added. "People have fought and died for our right to vote, and unfortunately our legislature and this governor have decided they want to make early voting less available to Floridians rather than more available ... It's hard for me as an American to comprehend why you don't make democracy as easy as possible to exercise for the people of our state. It's frankly unconscionable."</span>

On Election Day, there will be fewer polling precincts this year than in 2008 -- due to redistricting and budget constraints -- meaning traffic on Tuesday could also be a problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04...html?ref=topbar (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/charlie-crist-rick-scott-florida-early-voting_n_2073661.html?ref=topbar)

<span style="color: #990000">Republicans are pigs! </span>

eg8r
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
If the people of Florida cared what Crist had to say they would not have voted him out. Now, as to why people would stand in line for 6 hours to cast a vote, that is just dumb.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Aren't you a Florida resident yourself? Don't you know Charlie Crist was not voted out of anything?

eg8r
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
He lost to Rubio. Now you might think that means he was not voted "out" because he did not actually have the Senate seat but he was Governor and the voters in Florida knew what he was and chose Rubio. He was in effect voted out.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
M'kay. Wrong, but not entirely wrong, perhaps.

Voted DOWN might have been most accurate.

Gayle in MD
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Corrupt Repiglican Crooki Rick Scott, blocks traditionally Democratic votes, and eh8tr condemns the voters who were patriotic Americans, and stood in lines for hours to cast their votes.

Typical Repiglican twisted thinking.

eg8r
11-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Who did I condemn? I believe you said you were not reading any of my posts. If you are going to read them then at least try to comprehend what you are reading.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-07-2012, 05:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, as to why people would stand in line for 6 hours to cast a vote, that is just dumb.

</div></div>

Calling voters who had the patriotic determination stand on line for hours to cast their votes, dumb, is condemning them.

End of story.

G.

eg8r
11-07-2012, 07:56 PM
It is the end of the story because you are done running your mouth. I can safely say we are all pleased.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
And I can safely say that you are incredibly predictable, and always throw out something nasty when you've been caught, again, denying or failing to understand what you wrote, and then accusing someone else of not understanding what you wrote!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, as to why people would stand in line for 6 hours to cast a vote, that is just dumb.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who did I condemn? I believe you said you were not reading any of my posts. If you are going to read them then at least try to comprehend what you are reading.

eg8r </div></div>

If you are going to write them, at least try to understand what you have written!

eg8r
11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I totally understand what I wrote and I totally understand that you did not. You ran your mouth like usual and have once again proven you are not good for your word.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
LOL. Typical.

I never gave you, or anyone else "MY word" about anything in this thread. Again, you twist reality. That's your forte' in life.

Additionally, you did exactly what I said you did, you condemned the people who stood on line for hours, to vote. But you have no problem with your crook, Repiglican Governor, annd the rest of the REpiglican Party, using numerous scams which were designed to throw the Florida election, by disenfranchising and throwing out the votes of American Citizens.

Typical Eh8tr.

G.

eg8r
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never gave you, or anyone else "MY word" about anything in this thread. Again, you twist reality. </div></div>LOL, no one said you did give your "word" in this thread. Not only is your comphrension poor you are also now arguing strawmen.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-09-2012, 05:58 AM

eg8tr </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corrupt Repiglican Crook Rick Scott, blocks traditionally Democratic votes, and eh8tr condemns the voters who were patriotic Americans, and stood in lines for hours to cast their votes.

Typical Repiglican twisted thinking.

G.
</div></div>

All but you, reading this thread, understood what you wrote.

And all who read it, expected you to twist and deny what your own words, meant, and that you would muddy up the waters, by trying to shift the subject away from the facts, like you always do when you've been busted.

Typical Eh8tr!

Nuff said.

eg8r
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
No one was condemned. You just like to run your mouth. Just wish you were good for your word.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-09-2012, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now, as to why people would stand in line for 6 hours to cast a vote, that is just dumb.

eg8tr

</div></div>

eg8r
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe hondo can help you out with the english lesson but the subject is not the people but the "why" people would stand in line for 6 hours. I never did think you had that strong of an educational background but then again I never thought you would sit here and flaunt it either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM

eg8tr

</div></div>