PDA

View Full Version : Revenge Stories, Stiffing Someone For The Winnings

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2002, 08:47 PM
I wondered what kinds of stories there are out there concerning pool players getting their physical person or their property "damaged" due to them not paying their wagering losses. Fast Eddie in C-of-M had thumbs broken for hustling...what kinds of revenge do y'all know of over the years for those bums not paying the piper after they lose? I can imagine that it's not a good idea to screw with certain people???sid

nmshooter
10-11-2002, 12:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I wondered what kinds of stories there are out there concerning pool players getting their physical person or their property "damaged" due to them not paying their wagering losses. Fast Eddie in C-of-M had thumbs broken for hustling...what kinds of revenge do y'all know of over the years for those bums not paying the piper after they lose? I can imagine that it's not a good idea to screw with certain people???sid <hr></blockquote>

His thumbs were broke in "The Hustler" not "Color of Money" but to answer your real question. I have never really been stiffed on a gambling debt but I dont hustle either. The people I gamble with are people I know or who have a solid reputation. I might mention Im rather a big guy too so, maybe thats another reason I havent been stiffed.

phil in sofla
10-11-2002, 02:01 AM
Saw that type of thing twice. Once in league at our place, the other team had a guy who had evidently welched on a POKER debt to some other pool players. One of them came in, clocked him, and took his cue out of the place and hostage.

One other time a drunk guy shooting air bullets couldn't pay at the end of the set, and about 15 minutes of loudly voiced threats of physical mayhem ensued. Nothing actually happened, with the welcher begging for mercy and trying to get payment delayed.

10-11-2002, 04:01 AM
One time I was stiffed for $400 but I was at my home pool hall where everyone knew me. All I had to do was tell one guy as soon as it happened and everyone was set to motion. 2 guys waited at the door with about another 10 just outside the door. It didn't take very much to get his cue and case!

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2002, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the correction on the movies, I just wasn't thinking. sid

Kato
10-11-2002, 06:57 AM
Somebody once made a $600 football bet with me in the pool room. He explained to me that no NFL running back had ever run for 100 yards or more in Super Bowl history. I of course knew there had been several and proceeded to purchase an official NFL record book ($40). The gentlemen did not pay and he was banned from the pool room for life. Idiot.

Kato

rackmup
10-11-2002, 07:03 AM
I have a "friend" (really, more of an acquantance) that plays here locally. He's not a bad player but gets himself into trouble from time-to-time.

He loves to gamble and certainly has the "pecans" for it. I'm told (by him and others) that he'll enter into a bet (it could be a pool game, 18 holes at the local GC or playing a video game) with no cheese in his wallet! Sometimes he wins, other times he loses.

I get along with the guy but most people don't. I was straight up with him when we first met and he knows I do not gamble. I'm told he has baked quite a few "air biscuits" in his past.

He is "86'ed" from quite a few poolrooms here in DFW and one of them is where Sid_Vicious plays.

I'm more interested in how he keeps from getting hurt!

One other thing...I play all of the time with a guy who's wallet is always emptier than Al Capone's vault. I won't give you his name but his initials are:

<font color=red>O-N-E-P-O-C-K-E-T-C-H-A-M-P</font color=red>./ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Ken

10-11-2002, 08:25 AM
We had a local low-life come in one time with an open challenge to the players in the room. One of the best players there took the guy up on his bet. When the jerk started to get behind in the set, he took a bathroom break (with his stick oddly enough) and never game back because he had no money and didn't have the lock he thought he had. BUT, he forgot his very expensive leather jacket in the process which was then put on public display with a note so that he had to pay the debt to get the coat back. He never came back for the jacket.The coat was worth more than the original wager.

cheesemouse
10-11-2002, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I wondered what kinds of stories there are out there concerning pool players getting their physical person or their property "damaged" due to them not paying their wagering losses. Fast Eddie in C-of-M had thumbs broken for hustling...what kinds of revenge do y'all know of over the years for those bums not paying the piper after they lose? I can imagine that it's not a good idea to screw with certain people???sid <hr></blockquote>
A couple years ago I was trying to match up with a young gun player from Denver, you know the type. Twenty-five to thirty years old and who had never got a W-2 form in his life. I had done what he was doing for a three year period in a past life so I kind of knew his mind set. He had gone as one of the 'picks of the litter' in a Calcutta that had just finished. The tournament was to start the next morning. I hadn't been doing anything but practicing on my home table for a few weeks after a long summer of golf and was itching to play just to see if my game was sharp enough to hang with this road weary pool soldier. I was thinking I'd donate a Franklin or two just for the rush. I wanted at least the call eight but he wanted to rob me even and I was hungry to play so after a 15 minute wolfing session I relented for only the first break in a race to six for $200. I broke and ran the rack to the nineball which was an easy cut in the corner where the cb would just go up and down the center of the table and roll to a stop. I hit the shot and as the cb was about to stop out in the center of the table I stopped it with my cue and pulled it back to get ready to break the next rack. He immediately called a foul. Technically, I suppose it was a foul but I thought it was kind of a desperate thing to do. There were a bunch of people watching and it was determined that if it were a tournament match it would be a foul and he won the argument but I was pissed, then I remembered that we hadn't posted the money so I reached in my pocket and put the bills on the light and told him to post the money. He couldn't post, he didn't have the money on his person. I took my money back and called him a low life dirt bag air barreling sissy boy and ended the game. He started to give me some verbal grief and I told him "one more word" and it would be go time, he shut up!
The beauty of the whole deal was about 30 minutes later they annouced the morning matches and I drew the guy for my first match. I was definitly ready the next morning, we didn't exchange one word, just flipped the coin and started to play. I blew him out of the water 7-1. He went on to loose his next match. The word was out on the guy and he couldn't find a game for looser buys the beer for the whole weekend. I went on to play well, had a great time and left town with numerous Franklins. I guess the moral of the story is always post the money and you won't get burned...

10-11-2002, 12:28 PM
The worst thing that can happen to them. They no longer get played. By the way, if you don't put up, it is half your own fault.

Rod
10-12-2002, 01:13 AM
Sid, A friend of mine beat a guy out of three or four hundred. Later on the guy ruffed him up pretty good in the bathroom and took the money back. My friend just let it go the guy was easily twice his size and so was his brother. In time both of those guys spent some time in the slammer, they were notorious for doing that stuff. Oddly enough about a year or two before that I beat the same guy out of a few hundred and never had a problem. I guess he didn't mind loosing to me, who knows.

10-12-2002, 07:53 AM
How is it posable for you to not get paid? You made a $600. bet, was your money up and his was not? Without the money up, he also only has your word that you would have paid had you lost. Tell me honestly, if you lost were you prepared to pay off? you only bet because you thought you had a lock same as he did. We have no way of knowing if you would have paid. That is what is in someone's mind when they lose and don't want to pay. If the money is put in a pot and both parties know they will get paid. Most people are OK. Bottom line, you put up money when you gamble if you are serious.

10-12-2002, 08:12 AM
How long did it take for the police to arrive and a few of you to be arrested? You really think what you and your friends did was OK? If you get stiffed, too darn bad. That is the chances you take gambling. And this comes from a guy that for 20 years was a bookmaker and lone shark. I never hurt anybody, I just cut them off as did everybody else. It was part of the business. I can't believe the stuff I am reading in this thread. I think most of you guys making this stuff up. You guys have seen to many movies.

Jay M
10-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Just for the record, in all my life, I have NEVER posted a bet. I've been burnt twice, once for $60.00 out of $220 that I won and that guy had to move because no one would play him afterwards.

The second time was a little more painful, but it was $500 and I really wasn't all that worried about it at the time. I was just killing time at Q Masters between matches at the Open last year. I was hitting balls on their 3c table and some guy came over and asked me to play. I said sure and we were on. Races to 50 for $250. Don't ask me what happened, but I was playing world-class 3c, opening with a 9 and averaging in the 2-3 range. I won both games we played with him having a score in the teens. he set his cue against the wall and went to the restroom. I didn't think anything of it because he had left his cue. I found out a few hours afterwards, when I tried to leave with the cue, that Q Masters RENTS cues, and it was one of theirs /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

I've never had a bet that I didn't pay off on and it's well known in this area that I always make my bets good even though I don't carry much cash in my pocket.

Jay M

10-12-2002, 09:04 AM
I would say you are playing with people you know most of the time. Years ago when I played a lot, I was the best player in my part of the state and every week players would wander in looking to play. The money was always put up. That was just the way it was done. It can be distracting to have a guy owe you money as you are trying to play. You are think about getting paid while you are trying to play the game. It was never an offense to anyone to be asked to put up. That is just the way it was done. If you were playing by the game, you put up the last game and paid off after each game. When it was over the last game was collected from whoever was holding the money. When you rent an apartment you put up a deposit. It just makes it more comfortable for all parties. Like I said I often played strangers and often gave up weight sight un seen. And I did not always win, but at least I knew, if I had have won I would have been paid. I think one of the differences is there are not that many players coming around to play and pool rooms are a little more square today. Years ago every town had a local champ and gunfighting was a lot of fun. Today it is all leagues and people get their thrills a little differently. For all the people that knock the gambling though, all I can say is when we would be matched up, the places would be packed. Every week it would be a new show and we were all like local celebrities. Poolrooms used to be really exciting.

rackmup
10-12-2002, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous &amp; lonely:</font><hr>And this comes from a guy that for 20 years was a bookmaker and lone shark.<hr></blockquote>

That's sad...criminal activity and no one to share it with. No one should be alone, especially a shark.

And that's not "made up".

Regards,

Ken (where did my pool cue go? All I have is a box with a red "x" in it)

jbullerjr
10-13-2002, 12:58 AM
The very first weekend I moved to the DFW area, I was at the Triangle Bowl in Irving with a few of my brand new non-pool playing roomates.
We were waiting on a lane and hitting a few balls...so this loud mouth comes up talking he can beat any of us playing 9-ball, I accept and we agree to $5 a game. I win 6 strait and he wants to bet $20, I say settle up first. He has nothing, not even a Drivers Lisense (I have taken DL's in the past, just cause it is such a b**ch to get a new one). Well one of my new roomates (an all-state linebacker) is very upset that this guy would talk all his trash and then not even have the money to pay up when he loses. I get my roomate calmed down and call the loud-mouth to the side.
I said "Look man, my friend is really pissed, he doesn't understand that there are some low-life pool players who will talk all kinds of sh!t and not even have the money to pay up. So, here is what we are going to do, give me your shoes."
Loud-Mouth "My shoes? No F'ing way."
Me "Alright, I will just let my friend beat the $30 out of you."
Loud-Mouth kicks off his shoes and walks out the door bare-foot.

Now, I would not have let my friend do anything to this guy, but I think Loud-Mouth learned a vauluable lesson.

AndyG
10-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi Sid, I guess the incident related in this story is a form of getting aired with an interesting twist.

Many years ago, in the late 60's, Lefty Goff, James Helton, and I had been on a 2 week trip through Kentucky, Tennessee, and the Carolinas. On our way back to Florida, Lefty suggested we stop at the pool room in Montgomery, AL to look for some one pocket action. There was only one table active in the back of the room. We stopped at the desk and asked if there was any action around. The desk man said that the older black gentleman on the back table would probably play some 9 ball. James went back and the fellow said he'd play a few games for $20. James quickly won about $200, and his opponent pulled up, saying he was busted, but would put up his cue against $100. Now, this was one of the nicer Joss cues we'd seen, so we all agreed, and the game was on. Again James prevailed, and the cue was handed over. We walked to the front of the room, settled the table time, and were just about to walk out when the desk man said "where are you going with my cue?". We explained the situation, but to no avail, and the black guy had apparently left thru a back door. The house man maintained that he'd loaned the cue to the player, and we had no choice but to surrender. On the way home, we finally laughed about the situation, and wondered if that was a a scam they pulled regularly. Another lesson learned.

Regards,
Andy G.