PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Maryland!

Gayle in MD
11-07-2012, 12:47 PM
We did it!

This is a monumental victory. Yesterday, Marylanders across the state stood up and affirmed our longstanding tradition of supporting fairness and equality.

I am proud that my state is the first state in the nation to approve civil marriage for all loving, committed families.

Legislatures and courts have legalized marriage equality in six states and the District of Columbia, but Maryland is the first state to legalize same-sex marriage through a vote of the people.

Bravo Marylanders! Always supporting equality!

G.

Sev
11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Isnt it supposed to be a states rights issue?

I see no big deal here.

A state has decided what is right for their citizens without infringing on the rights of the citizens of other states.

Gayle in MD
11-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Since you are not a Marylander, it is no big deal, for YOU.

It is a big deal for ME! Because I am proud to live in a Sate where all people are honored, rather than living in a state where wide segments of our society, are attacked, disenfranchised, slandered and degraded, as is the case in many southern states I could mention.

We in Maryland, celebreat our appreciation for equal rights, we are inclusive, not divisive.

G.

Soflasnapper
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt it supposed to be a states rights issue?

I see no big deal here.

A state has decided what is right for their citizens without infringing on the rights of the citizens of other states. </div></div>

Actually, assuming DOMA's dead as the federal courts have already ruled (but not at the highest level yet), these civil marriages for gays must be honored in any state to which they go.

Now, I agree that honoring their marriage rights doesn't infringe on the rights of other states' citizens, but some in those states surely disagree. Which is why they did DOMA in the first place.