PDA

View Full Version : 9 Yr. Old Girl Shredding Defenses2Tune of 25 TD's

Gayle in MD
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Nine-year-old girl Sam Gordon shredding defenses to the tune of 25 touchdowns

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 1:47 PM EST

It started as a way for an 8-year-old girl to keep up with her big brother.

Sam Gordon just wanted to run with the older kids. The coaches in the local tackle football league figured, hey, why not? Maybe they could turn it into a drill: Who can outrun Max's little sister?

They were shocked to find the answer: no one.

Sam Gordon, now 9, became one of the fastest kids this Salt Lake City area "Gremlins" league had ever seen. They put her in drills and she outran boys two years older. They allowed her into the "Sharks and Minnows" game and stared in awe at not only at her speed, but her ability to move like a tailback.

"She could cut and follow blocks like a college football player," says her coach, Chris Staib.

Staib hatched a plan: His team was drafting seventh out of nine. He wanted to pick the girl. So he started talking her down, suggesting she would get hurt. The other coaches bought it, and with his first selection he chose Sam Gordon.

"You dog!" they howled.

Staib just laughed. Sam ended up running for 25 touchdowns and 10 conversions (no PATs at this level) in her first season playing tackle football. She earned the nickname "Sweet Feet" a modern-day Rudy Huxtable and a breathtaking viral video in which she looks so fast that you have to wonder if it's real.

"Oh it's real," says Staib. "That's her. I was there for all of that."

It may be real, but is it appropriate? This is a 9-year-old girl playing against bigger, stronger boys. She even had a trainer who put her through agility drills and plyometrics. Gordon is not even 60 pounds, and there's a kid on her team who weighs more than 150. (His nickname: Tank.) In an era of concussions and frequent ACL tears, it's fair to ask: What are the adults thinking?

Sam's dad, Brent, admits his daughter had an adjustment issue at first. "She had a little bit of a struggle," he said Tuesday in a phone interview from his Idaho law office. "The team lost a couple of games. Since she was the primary ball carrier, she felt a lot of pressure to win. She felt blame for losing."

His solution was the video, telling Sam not to worry about the end result but rather each play. "Get me some highlights," he told her. He says it helped.

And what about the tackling? There are some fairly vicious hits on this video.

"I started her out in soccer at 4 years old and we would play out in the yard," Brent explains. "And my son's friends were pretty aggressive and rough. She could really handle a lot of the physical play. There were some games where she'd fall down and just keep going. She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."

Sam Gordon (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)Staib doesn't hesitate when asked about the hitting. He says Sam loves to tackle and even goes after Tank whenever she gets the chance. He's not worried. Brent says only once did Sam get shaken up from a hit. She came out of the game, rested for a few plays, then returned to score a touchdown.

"Some kids, right before the contact, they stop," Sam told her father. "I don't. I just hit 'em."

"That's not something I taught her, "Brent says.

A lot of people won't accept a 9-year-old girl playing tackle football, and perhaps with good reason. But it seems Sam loves it. Her dad and coach say she has no hesitation about coming back for another season. And her dad admits he's overwhelmed with pride, even though (or maybe especially because) he was no star athlete.

"With Sam, I keep questioning myself," he says. "Am I trying to make it something it's not because I'm her dad? I asked my brother, 'OK, am I just being a crazy dad here? Or is this really cool?'*"

Maybe it's a little of one and a lot of the other. But what started as little Sam trying to keep up with her brother is now dozens of older boys trying to keep up with her.

See the video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/internet-se...touchdowns.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/internet-sensation--nine-year-old-girl-shredding-defenses-to-the-tune-of-25-touchdowns.html)

Soflasnapper
11-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Women can be incredible athletes.

Here's my prediction, however-- no women in the NFL, ever, except perhaps as kickers.

Gayle in MD
11-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Never say never, lol.

If a nine year old girl can do it, then a 29 year old could do it as well.

Remember that old quote, "Ginger did everything Fred did, only she did it backwards, in high heels."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Soflasnapper
11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
She's doing well with boys, not men.

Once the feeding, breeding and testosterone kicks in, we have manimals on the hoof playing this game.

If she got stood up stopped cold by a 245 pound linebacker who runs a 4.4 40, and had the coup de gras delivered by a still faster 215 pound safety crashing into that static position at full speed, she'd likely be in two pieces after the latter hit.

It's a very violent game with crushing high speed collisions.

She or a later version might be able to play touch or tag football with grown men. Not tackle football. At least not without juicing steroids, or taking testosterone herself.

eg8r
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
This little girl is incredible but at some point the boys are going to start getting bigger and stronger. At that point she is going to start taking some hits and decide her football career is over. If that day doesn't come, and she continues to excel then I think a player on the field will help her make that decision.

Are there any women on the planet that are in the physical condition of a runner that you would put up against Clay Matthews? Running across the center of the field and getting hit by Suh? I don't think we need to even entertain the idea of female women in that sport.

eg8r

LWW
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
WOMEN'S PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL (http://www.lflus.com/) AKA the LFL is the fastest growing pro sports league in the nation.

Soflasnapper
11-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Of course I think you are right here, and the only specimens I could imagine being slightly able to do this at all were the old East European 'women' who were either men, or who took anabolic steroids to become man-like.

And that STILL wouldn't work, because smaller statured rhoided up people still lose to large statured rhoided up people.

Soflasnapper
11-11-2012, 10:51 AM
LOL! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

eg8r
11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Yep. I am all for women in the workplace but there are some "workplaces" they just don't belong. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I got to see Nancy Lieberman play basketball in the men's minor league known as the USBL, for the West Palm Beach Rays (or something), early in the '80s.

An abbreviated history, here. (http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/girl/post/_/id/2088/40-greatest-female-athletes-nancy-lopez)

She got up to 29th best female athlete on that ESPN rating linked above. She had honed her game in street ball with the fellas, and could definitely play some, although when I saw here with the USBL she was more average than outstanding (still, among semi-pro men players, so not bad).

As much contact as there is in bball (quite a lot), it is still not tackle football, however.