PDA

View Full Version : Judge Denies A. West-Fla.-Motion 2 Impound Ballots

Gayle in MD
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Judge denies Rep. West's motion to impound ballots

MATT SEDENSKY | November 9, 2012 02:14 PM EST | Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. A Florida judge has denied Republican Rep. Allen West's request to impound ballots and voting machines, dealing a blow to West's re-election chances.

Circuit Judge David Crow on Friday said West's request was "entirely premature." The judge said vote-counting procedures are in place and being followed.

Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy holds a lead in the race for the South Florida seat. An unofficial tally puts him above the threshold for a recount.

The ruling was a defeat for West, but his side claimed victory anyway. An attorney for West says the campaign was simply trying to make sure the election is fair and transparent.

An attorney for Murphy called West's legal actions a "political stunt."

A full unofficial count of votes is due Saturday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121109/us-house-west/

<span style="color: #990000"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Repiglican Poor Loser/Denier Story Number 1. </span> </span>

Soflasnapper
11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
In my only donation this cycle, I wrote a check to Lois Frankel under the mistaken impression she was up against West.

I'm very glad he appears to be on the way out.

Apparently, the court filings were incredibly deficient, including no stated reason why there would be irremediable harm (the only reason for which injunctions can be granted). As if he filed pro se, without benefit of counsel.

LWW
11-10-2012, 03:22 AM
I can't imagine anyone wanting a recall in Florida.

Gayle in MD
11-10-2012, 05:56 AM
I'd bet most of this country is glad he will be gone.

Another RW crazy nutjob, with a very bad history!

Now, if we could just get rid of the Car thief, Issa, Liar and obstructionist Cantor, and liar/obstructionist McConnell, we could soar.

Glad that Dems were able to win, and that we got rid of some of the worst ones.

Alan Grayson, winning, Elizabeth Warren, smashing Scott Brown, In Mass., Akins, West, Mourdock, Joe the Deadbeat Dad, gone, and a record number of Liberal women, were voted into office, state and Federal.

G.

Soflasnapper
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't imagine anyone wanting a recall in Florida. </div></div>

If you meant to say recount, I agree with that.

However, neither is a mandatory recount required by law (so far-- you need a 0.5% margin in the first count to trigger that), nor does West have any optional recount he must be allowed under law.

That said, I'm somewhat sympathetic to his call to await the final final tally, which would include the count of the absentee and out of state military ballots, and any provisionally cast ballots as well. Although apparently by reasonable analysis those will not make him the winner, or pull the difference up to what the law would then require for a mandatory recount.

Still, counting one Congressional district is not like a whole county or the whole state.