PDA

View Full Version : Ur opinion on the billiardglove ?

Brent
10-11-2002, 06:59 AM
I was wondering whats the deal with the glove. I use it...I luv it..nice smooth stroke etc. but why cant I see any pros wearing it except Jeanette Lee /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif ? Do u guys all use the powder thing ? or whats the deal. Thnx

Brent from Estonia

Wally_in_Cincy
10-11-2002, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Brent:</font><hr> I was wondering whats the deal with the glove. I use it...I luv it..nice smooth stroke etc. but why cant I see any pros wearing it except Jeanette Lee &lt;img src="/webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif"&gt; ? Do u guys all use the powder thing ? or whats the deal. Thnx

Brent from Estonia <hr></blockquote>

If you keep your shaft clean and keep your hands clean you should not need a glove. However, if the humidity is high or if your hands sweat you might need powder or a glove.

The pros use powder when necessary. I guess they don't like gloves.

Rich R.
10-11-2002, 07:35 AM
At the Sudden Death 7-ball tournament on Wednesday, Earl was wearing a glove for the first rack or two of his first match. He then promptly took it off and threw it on the floor and did not wear it for the rest of the day. Obviously, he decided he didn't like it.
Rich R.

rackmup
10-11-2002, 07:47 AM
I like the concept but cannot find one that matches my pool playing outfits so I just keep my shaft clean and wash my hands vigorously with soap if they get "sticky".

Regards,

Ken

10-11-2002, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Brent:</font><hr> I was wondering whats the deal with the glove. I use it...I luv it..nice smooth stroke etc. but why cant I see any pros wearing it except Jeanette Lee &lt;img src="/webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif"&gt; ? Do u guys all use the powder thing ? or whats the deal. Thnx

Brent from Estonia <hr></blockquote>

The pro players aren't allowed to use gloves, as far as I know. Personally, I hate 'em, and think they look out of place and wierd. I suppose the idea is nice. Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen a match with two players wearing the "billiard glove." I probably just wasn't watching when it happened.

Kato
10-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Brent, if you use a cue with a wooden shaft with no coating you shouldn't need a glove. I live in South Florida where the humidity is 724% year round. I wouldn't wear a glove if you put a gun to my head. I need to feel the cue.

Wash your hands, have a towel handy, don't use powder and if you do please wipe all excess off your cue and your hand so you don't get it all over the table.

As far as pros go and not wearing gloves. Ty Laha was wearing a glove at the Open. He plays pretty sporty.

Kato

heater451
10-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Do you think a glove might help keep excess chalk from grinding in/building up on a shaft?--I know 'regular cleaning' would help, but I'm wondering about whether the glove traps less chalk than the average oil/sweat coated hand.

~~I have considered trying one, but
can't shake the "Michaelness" of it.

==================

10-11-2002, 10:25 AM
The other night there was a guy (twenty something) in my local room shooting pool wearing a winter-weight insulated knitted wool glove on his bridge hand--the ultimate pool glove?!

9 Ball Girl
10-11-2002, 11:03 AM
In Jeanette Lee's book, she mentioned how when she was starting out, she went out to a formal party and she wore a pair of those elbow length gloves. Anyway, she went shooting afterwards, didn't take her gloves off, and realized that they made for a smooth stroke on her bridge hand. She then butchered her gloves from elbow length to maybe wrist length when she bumped into Danny Barouty (he wears a glove) shortly afterwards and discovered that they actually have pool gloves for that purpose.

Kato
10-11-2002, 11:22 AM
Heater, the chalk getting into the woodgrain is simply seasoning your shaft. Some people are really into super clean shafts, I don't have a problem with chalk being ingrained in my shaft wood, as long as it's smooth I can't be bothered. Dirty ferrule, now that's a big no no.

Kato

Brent
10-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Ok thnx all 4 answering..now I got allsorts of answers and opinions. Well the problem is that I got sweaty hands and before the glove I couldnt strike the right way (the bridge or something I dunno how u call it). i tryed the glove and I was a solution to all my problems /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif..for now anyway. Maybe when I get better in pool and when they start selling this powder thing in Estonia..maybe Il take off my glove. Later

Brent from a distant shitty country /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
10-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Brent, if you don't like the glove to solve your sweaty hand problem, you don't have to wait for any "special powder thing". Any baby powder will work. Corn starch from the grocery store would probably work too, but that would be a last resort.
Rich R.

9 Ball Girl
10-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey Brent. I saw a post here some time ago with someone and they too had the same problem. I think he said, and I'm not joking here, that he applies deoderant on his bridge hand. I can't remember if it was the roll on type or the stick kind but he said it worked. The only reason I remember that post is because I posted something saying that "atleast other pool players won't be offended by the odor of your cue". /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif Anyway, I tried looking for the post but I can't find it.

rackmup
10-11-2002, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr>Corn starch from the grocery store would probably work too,<hr></blockquote>

But if your hand gets sweaty enough, the perspiration turns into a milky gravy, suitable for serving on hot buttermilk biscuits. Regular baking flour won't work either...it just clumps up. I know a guy that puts a thin layer of "Super Glue" on the area of his bridge hand where the cue glides. I know another guy that had his fingerprints surgically removed (that was for the witness protection program though. Discovering the cue glides better now than it did was just a peripheral benefit.)

Seriously...keep a damp towel and a dry towel near your table. Keep the shaft clean. Nothing but smooth stroking if you do that.

Regards,

Ken (thought about having his bridge hand surgically removed to prevent the stickiness)

Brent
10-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Yeah ur proly right..but...the glove doesnt bother me..so Id like to keep using it, if u dont mind /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif Ok thnx, later.

Brent

Ludba
10-11-2002, 04:36 PM
I like the glove. I alternate between the glove and gloveless, but I hate using chalk. It seems to me that most people don't like the glove for either the look or the feel. It looks fine, but the feel issue is legitimate. Sometimes I lose a little bit of control over the cue because the glove is so smooth (I can't feel the cue in my bridgehand as well, but the improved draw, follow, etc. more than makes up for it. It's something you just get used to, and it can make your stroke and game better.

Amanda
10-11-2002, 04:40 PM
I got a glove early on. It was of course purple /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif When it eventually wore out (took 8 whole months), I wasn't able to find another purple one and got used to playing without one. Summer seems to be the worse, just a matter of washing my hands often and wiping down the shaft each time I wash my hands. I may end up going back to a glove but it must be purple. No I'm not obsessed! Just cuz my cues and case are purple is a coincedence!

Amanda

SPetty
10-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Hi Amanda,

These look purple...

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=BG30

Brent
10-12-2002, 03:24 AM
I agree with u 100%. Especially the part when sometimes u cant feel enough cue (the glove is 2 smooth) /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

Brent

bluewolf
10-12-2002, 04:57 AM
Post deleted by bluewolf

10-12-2002, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Seattle-kid:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;

The pro players aren't allowed to use gloves, as far as I know. Personally, I hate 'em, and think they look out of place and wierd. I suppose the idea is nice. Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen a match with two players wearing the "billiard glove." I probably just wasn't watching when it happened. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Lots of pros wear them, Scott Lee told me so. &lt;G&gt;

Golfers wear them. Don't we want pool to be a respectable sport? Yet people object to the glove,imo, because they dont look macho.

bb <hr></blockquote>

It's kinda like pool players in tuxedo's.. it just doesn't really go with the sport. This is, of course, only my opinion, and also only my .02 cents worth. I think the glove makes the player look overly accesorized. (sp?)

I gave up my habit of exclusively using the closed bridge and using the open "v" bridge more often at the expense of not being "macho." But macho or not, I just like to win.

10-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Lots, name two using them that does not represent a company selling them?

Brent
10-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Bah now Im really confused..I wear the glove and I shoot with the closed bridge when possible...I started doing both these things a few months ago and I can feel that my game has improved so Im gonna keep using the glove although almost everyone here has downed it..bah what was the idea of this post anyway ??? lol Oh teah I just wanted to stand out formyself /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif Later all

Brent

10-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Here is a product that I have used as an alternative to both gloves and powder. It has worked great on virtually every cue. It is a shaft conditioner called "Cue Silk":

http://www.cuesight.com/csilk.html

Kato
10-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Bluewolf, if you don't wear a glove in golf you get blisters (at least me). I've been playing pool for 7 years, I can assure you I've never, ever gotten a blister playing pool.

Wearing a glove doesn't make your sport respectable. People use them for different reasons, at least in their minds they are legitimate. When I play softball and am batting I wear 2 batting gloves and 1 wrist band. Some guys wear 2 batting gloves and 2 wrist bands, my little brother plays with no gloves and no wrist bands, am I more respectful? Please

Kato

jbullerjr
10-12-2002, 11:59 PM
I have used the glove in the past and still keep one around.

I have also used many of the other products talked about above. I really like the cue silk, I don't use baby powder, as I heard that it contains an oil that is harmful to your cue. There is a talc made just for cue-sports that lacks this oil. I also use a product called Pro-Glide "the invisible glove", it goes on your hand as a liquid, but quickly dries.

I play in a Sunday evening "2pm" bar leauge in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, between Texas heat/humidity, open doors and tables that probably have never been brushed, the glove is sometimes the only thing that works.

J

Rod
10-13-2002, 12:35 AM
Kato,
I don't use a glove for either, my hands are dry. Very rare to use powder and when I do it's on the grip end. I ain't a sweator! If people need or like to use them though that's fine too.

Chris Cass
10-13-2002, 12:55 AM
Hi Brent,

To each his own. When it's humid here I'd wear a glove and don't care what it looks like. I don't wear one but know some that do. It's personal preference. It does serve a purpose too. I keep my cue around 98%. Shafts are ready and prepared. I'll keep my hands clean and don't use powder.

Sometimes I hit the washroom once during a match but mostly before the match begins. I'll bring some damp towelettes from the WC and use them to recondition my hands if it's that humid. I don't sweat ever, very much. I do know a guy that sweats tons from his hands. The table gets spotted from the bridge hand and after an hr. the tables soaked and makes the balls react. I had to tell him, "Man, go wash your damm hands!" I wish he'd wear a glove for sure. Man that guy pi$$es me off. He's such a whinning sweatbox.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sure the shafts of your cue will stay clean. Alot has to do with the room conditions. I don't think I could live in FLA. I could for a weekend though. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~cue silk is a good thing, if used properly.

Brent
10-13-2002, 01:40 AM
Yay..someone agrees with me. Nice to see that its an old hand like Chirs.

Brent

Rod
10-13-2002, 01:48 AM
I agree with you Brent, I just don't use one. If your hands sweat or the humidity is high, use one. I have a friend that borrowed a spare cue and the wrap was soaked so bad from is wet clammy hand that the wrap come loose. True story. Thats why I lent him an old cue.

10-13-2002, 02:22 AM
I'm sure the glove has its place in life, but I don't care for it. I'm used to how the cue feels without it, and anything else is just a distraction. I don't even like how the cue feels after being freshly cleaned, it's too smooth. I think that is the reason why you don't see many pro's wearing one. Jeanette Lee and a trickshooter named "The Glove" are the only two good players I've ever seen wear one.

CarolNYC
10-13-2002, 04:17 AM
Hi Brent,
I use a glove all the time "slix"-covers all my fingers-my hands tend to sweat!If it works, use it!
Carol~cold hands,warm heart!:)

10-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Another glove story.With my own eyes I saw a player using the Glove on the wrong hand!
Pretty funny!I don't think anyone had the heart to tell the kid.

Kato
10-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Rod, my reply was pretty much meant for Bluewolf's statement of "respectability" of sport through use of glove.

It is an accessory. If you feel like you need one that is wonderful. If it helps your game then that's even better. I have some talc in my bag but don't use it except in extreme instances. I have used powder on the butt end of my cue like you when I was playing with my Predator with no wrap.

Kato

Rod
10-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks Kato, I did realize that though. Mine was more of just a comment about golf gloves. I feel the same as you.

Brent
10-14-2002, 12:02 AM
Now now kids..kiss and make up /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif´..Im off to buy my first cue...wish me luck:)

Brent