PDA

View Full Version : Alan West deserves a recount: West opponent

Soflasnapper
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West may be a far Right extremist. A fair amount of evidence even suggests that West may be certifiably insane. But, even far right, possibly insane candidates, and especially their supporters, deserve to have their votes counted in a way that they can know, for certain, that they either won or lost an election.

Given the oft-failed, easily-manipulated, unoverseeable electronic voting and tabulation systems --- each with a long and well-documented record of failure and miscounts --- used in the three counties that make up Florida's new 18th district (as well as the rest of the state of Florida, and the rest of the 50 states for that matter), West and his supporters have every reason to demand a public, 100% hand-count of paper ballots before conceding defeat. Particularly in an election with such a slim margin, as reported by the flawed electronic systems, said to stand between the two candidates... </div></div>

Says Brad Friedman, noted voting machine fraud activist, at his BradBlog, here. (http://www.bradblog.com/?p=9718#more-9718)

Much additional information as to how these same machines botched many other elections here in Florida.

I agree with Brad. Despite how welcome West's defeat is to me, I prefer it be a legitimate defeat, not something ginned up or accidentally done out of voting machine failures.

If the only remedy is hand-counting the ballots (to the degree that it's possible), then so be it.

eg8r
11-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree also. Sure sucks to be the people that have to do the manual counting. That is one job I do not covet.

eg8r

llotter
11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Those of us on the Right are always seeking an honest vote count but from the Left such words are no more than deceit since ALL cheating comes from their side.

Soflasnapper
11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Problem with that-- no such manual recount of machine counted or recounted votes is allowed under FL law. Only more flawed machine counting, which already showed (or seemed to show) 600 extra votes for the two men in the partial recount done on those same crappy machines. Some 500 or so of those were extra Murphy counts, some 100 or so extra for West, reducing the margin between them to just barely over the .5% threshold for an automatic recount (~.59%).

The other problem is that while West wants Martin County recounted, the same machines (I think) were in the other two counties his district bestrides, and he does not want them recounted there (although they are manifestly not trustworthy, he's up some 100,000 votes in them, which suits him fine).

What a crap system this county by county standards is. Sheesh.

Soflasnapper
11-14-2012, 05:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of us on the Right are always seeking an honest vote count but from the Left such words are no more than deceit since ALL cheating comes from their side. </div></div>

Well that's an astounding claim! I know we may all be partisan to a degree, but that is partisanship to a fault. Human nature doesn't apply to The Right?

I guess you'd say all the GOPrs caught at election or vote fraud were RINOs, or at least, not conservatives? Amirite?

eg8r
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep. After all these years to get this a smooth running machine and we still have this crap to deal with.

eg8r

llotter
11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
It shouldn't be a surprise that cheaters are attracted to the side that cheats and us honest folks are comfortable with non-cheaters. That's just human nature.

hondo
11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It shouldn't be a surprise that cheaters are attracted to the side that cheats and us honest folks are comfortable with non-cheaters. That's just human nature. </div></div>

Shoot em all in the name of Jesus, I say!

Soflasnapper
11-15-2012, 09:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep. After all these years to get this a smooth running machine and we still have this crap to deal with.

eg8r </div></div>

It's intentional, of course. Chaos and disorder and 'accidentally' malfunctioning machines provide cover for whichever power needs to steal the election from time to time.

Soflasnapper
11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It shouldn't be a surprise that cheaters are attracted to the side that cheats and us honest folks are comfortable with non-cheaters. That's just human nature. </div></div>

Hilarious stuff, congratulations-- who writes your material?

Clearly enough, as the elections are controlled at the state level, this chaos and confusion in the Florida elections can be properly laid at the feet of the several Republican governors in a row and the GOP controlled legislature(s) also prevailing during that time frame. So, you were saying?

Gayle in MD
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Romney Co-Chair: Romney Would Have ‘Absolutely’ Won Wisconsin With Voter ID Law
By Ian Millhiser on Nov 14, 2012 at 11:10 am

In an interview with Milwaukee’s ABC affiliate, the Romney campaign’s Wisconsin co-chair, state Sen. Alberta Darling (R), suggested that her candidate would have won Wisconsin but for the fact that the state’s voter ID law was declared unconstitutional by a state court:

HOST: Do you think photo ID would have made any difference in the outcome of this election?

DARLING: Absolutely, I think so. We’re looking at all different kinds of precincts and all sorts of same-day registrations and I know people will go “oh, we don’t have fraud and abuse in our elections,” but what can’t we have voter ID when the majority of the people in Wisconsin wanted it. We passed it. The governor signed it. Why should one judge in Dane County be able to hold it up?

Watch it:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11...-with-voter-id/ (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11/14/1187861/romney-co-chair-outcome-of-wisconsin-election-would-absolutely-have-been-different-with-voter-id/)

Judge Blasts Ohio’s Last Minute Disenfranchisement Effort: ‘I Don’t Want To See Democracy Die In The Darkness’
By Aviva Shen on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted is fast becoming one of the most despised election officials in the country for his many attempts to restrict early voting and throw out legitimate provisional ballots. He’s also alienating federal judges left and right. After Husted issued a last-minute directive that could invalidate thousands of Ohioans’ votes, US District Judge Algenon Marbley did not bother to hide his impatience with the secretary’s hijinks.

Husted’s directive, which was issued at 7 pm on the Friday before the election, openly defies Ohio state law by shifting the burden of correctly filling in a provisional ballot form from the poll worker to the contested voter. As Andrew Cohen at the Atlantic explains, Judge Marbley had already worked out an agreement that placed the responsibility on poll workers and the state, so a vote would still be counted if the poll worker made an error. Husted’s directive snuck around this agreement, apparently infuriating the judge:

THE COURT: Mr. Epstein, would you agree that voting is the linchpin of our democracy?

[STATE ATTORNEY] MR. EPSTEIN: Yes, Your Honor.

THE COURT: I do too. What concerned me about the 2012-54 directive is that it was filed on a Friday night at 7 p.m. The first thought that came to mind was democracy dies in the dark. So, when you do things like that that seeks to avoid transparency, it appears, then that gives me great pause but even greater concern. So, if anyone I’m going to give additional time to, it’s going to be you, Mr. Epstein, because you have a lot of explaining to do [...] I’m really trying to get to the root of this, and I don’t want to see democracy die in the darkness on my watch, especially with voting. You know I have a special place for voting.

Ohio’s attorney was unable to point to any legal justification for ignoring the law and shifting the burden to the voter. Marbley exploded:

THE COURT: So show me where it is. Show me where it’s meant. Show me the legislative history. Show me the facts that the secretary used to make the decision to change this directive at seven o’clock on a Friday night on the eve of an election. I want to see it, and I want to see it now. Show it to me.

MR. EPSTEIN: Your Honor, I have no legislative history to present to the Court.

Marbley isn’t the first federal judge to be provoked by Husted’s defiance. After another district judge, Judge Peter Economus, ruled that Ohio must restore early voting hours on the three days before the election, Husted forbade the local election boards from following the court order. Husted backed down when the judge issued a terse order that demanded he appear in court to personally explain himself.

Marbley’s ruling is expected Monday. Provisional ballots will be counted on November 17.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11...ment-directive/ (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11/09/1169321/federal-judge-not-amused-by-ohio-gop-secretary-of-states-last-minute-disenfranchisement-directive/)

Ohio’s GOP Secretary of State Already Has A Plan To Rig The 2016 Election For Republicans
By Ian Millhiser and Josh Israel on Nov 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted (R)
Last year, Pennsylvania’s Republican Gov. Tom Corbett proposed rigging the Electoral College vote in his state through a plan that would have given the majority of the state’s electors to Romney even after President Obama carried the state. Under Corbett’s plan, the winner of each congressional district within Pennsylvania would receive a single electoral vote, and the overall winner of the state would receive an additional two electoral votes. Had this plan been in place last Tuesday, Mitt Romney would likely have won 13 of the state’s 20 electoral votes, despite losing the state overall by more than five points.

Corbett’s election-rigging plan died, largely because Republican members of Congress in Pennsylvania feared that it would cause the Obama campaign to shift resources into their districts and endanger their own chances of being reelected. Now, however, Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted (R)– who spent much of 2012 inventing ways to prevent pro-Obama votes from being cast or counted — wants to revive this election rigging scheme. According to the Ohio political blog Plunderbund,

Husted’s solution to this perceived problem of Democrats and the national media picking on him? He says we should make Ohio less important in the election by dividing up our electoral votes by Congressional district.

This is huge and should raise giant red flags. Under the current winner-take-all system, Obama won all 18 of Ohio’s electoral votes. Under Husted’s plan, 12 of those 18 electoral votes would be handed to Mitt Romney, the popular vote loser.

As in Pennsylvania, Republicans gerrymandered Ohio within an inch of its life. Even though Obama won Ohio, Republicans carried 12 of 16 seats in Ohio’s House delegation. This gerrymander would have all but ensured that Romney carried the overwhelming majority of Ohio’s electoral votes, regardless of how he performed in the state overall.

Indeed, if the Corbett/Husted plan to rig the Electoral College had been law in several key Republican-controlled states that President Obama won last Tuesday, America would now be looking at a very different future. Assuming that Mitt Romney won every congressional district that elected a Republican House candidate in these key states, the Corbett/Husted plan would have given Romney 17 electoral votes in Florida, 9 in Michigan, 12 in Ohio, 13 in Pennsylvania, 8 in Virginia, and 5 in Wisconsin — for a total of 64 additional electoral votes.

Add those 64 votes to the 206 votes Romney won legitimately, and it adds up to exactly 270 — the amount he needed to win the White House.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11...or-republicans/ (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11/09/1169761/ohios-gop-secretary-of-state-already-has-a-plan-to-rig-the-2016-election-for-republicans/)

Maine GOP Head Suspects Voter Fraud Because ‘Dozens, Dozens Of Black People’ Voted
By Annie-Rose Strasser on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:05 am

Maine GOP Chairman Charlie Webster
The head of the Republican Party in Maine thinks there might have been voter fraud in his state because “nobody in town knows anyone who’s black,” but black voters came in to vote on election day.

GOP state chairman Charlie Webster aims to find those who committed the alleged fraud fraud by sending thank you cards to voters, and seeing if they are returned to sender.

In an interview with an NBC affiliate, Webster said he was astounded by the “dozens, dozens of black people” who voted, and thought it was odd because he personally doesn’t know anyone who knows a black person in town:

In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day. Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen? I don’t know. We’re going to find out….

I’m not politically correct and maybe I shouldn’t have said these voters were black, but anyone who suggests I have a bias toward any race or group, frankly, that’s sleazy.

Watch it:

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Webster isn’t alone in using race to explain away Republicans’ losses this election season. Vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan claimed that Obama won because of the “urban vote.” His running mate, former presidential nominee Mitt Romney, also said yesterday that Obama won re-election because of the “gifts” he gave black people, Latinos, and women.

On top of that, Webster’s methodology is, to say the least, flawed. Not knowing any black people isn’t evidence that they don’t exist, and having a piece of mail bounce back is not proof that voters intentionally lied about their address. Indeed, even though Maine has one of the smallest black populations in the country (just 1.3 percent of the state is black), it’s much more likely to find a black Mainer than an instance of voter fraud in the US. Voter fraud is less common than being struck by lightning, of which there’s just a 0.000001 percent chance. </span>(HT: Politico)

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/11/15/1194481/maine-gop-dozens-black-voters/

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif