PDA

View Full Version : FBI: CLASSIFIED INFO ON PETRAEUS MISTRESS COMPUTER

Gayle in MD
11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>FBI finds ‘classified information’ on David Petraeus’ mistress’ computer</span>

Posted by News Desk on November 15, 2012 in News, Sourced, Wired, World ·

Washington, Nov. 15 (ANI): The FBI has found a substantial amount of classified information improperly saved on the personal computer of disgraced CIA Director General David Petraeus’ mistress.

The files were discovered on a machine removed from Paula Broadwell’s Charlotte, North Carolina, home as they investigated her affair with Petraeus, whose biography she co-wrote.

Investigators also found documents which Broadwell admitted taking from secure government buildings, adding that the government demanded that they all be returned.

According to the New York Times, the network said the FBI and military were going through the material and prosecutors were deciding whether to charge her with a crime.

“That’s why they were pulling so much stuff out of [Broadwell's] place,” a source said, referring to a search carried out Monday night, three days after Petraeus quit from his post because of the illegitimate affair.

The discoveries prompted the FBI to step up its probe of Broadwell, who anonymously sent harassing e-mails to Jill Kelley, a married “friend” of Petraeus.

According to the report, Broadwell’s top-secret stash was revealed shortly after President Barack Obama told a press conference that “I’ve seen no evidence at this point from what I’ve seen that classified information was disclosed in any way that would have had a negative impact on our national security.”

Broadwell, a former intelligence officer, also had her high security clearance suspended by the Army, an official said.

Meanwhile, Petraeus is expected to testify at a closed congressional hearing about the Sept. 11 killing of US Ambassador Chris Stevens in Benghazi, Libya, the report added. (ANI)

http://truthdive.com/2012/11/15/FBI-find...s-computer.html (http://truthdive.com/2012/11/15/FBI-finds-classified-information-on-David-Petraeus-mistress-computer.html)

Gayle in MD
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Bump.

eg8r
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Are you going to say anything about the article or just bump?

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
The plot thickens...

Gayle in MD
12-09-2012, 08:15 AM
The plot thickens...

I find it very strange that we haven't heard any more about this except that the law was broken, and that she did have classified material she wasn't supposed to have.

Will this be yet another Republican illegal act, that we never hear about again?

Soflasnapper
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
What I heard at the time was that some of what she had that was classified were things like where Petraeus was scheduled to be (when no schedule was published for him).

That may be very important info to an enemy, or probably not particularly important at all.

LWW
12-10-2012, 04:00 AM
I find it quite typical that the cabal hated Petraeus when the regime commanded it ... and then loved him when told to love him ... and now hates him again, as ordered.

Gayle in MD
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
What I heard at the time was that some of what she had that was classified were things like where Petraeus was scheduled to be (when no schedule was published for him).

That may be very important info to an enemy, or probably not particularly important at all.

I don't think we have all the information about what was in her house. We do know she had things there she was not supposed to have in her possession.

A full report, apparently isn't required by Repiglicans, when you are the mistress of a tool of The Military Industrial/Congressional Complex.

IIARIOK!:mad:

LWW
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Don't you find it funny that some folks blame the republicans for democratic appointees?

Soflasnapper
12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Petraeus was a pet project of the Republicans, well before Obama appointed and re-appointed him to, I think, 3 other positions. That's among the reasons WHY Obama appointed him most likely, as he was wholly uncontroversial to the other side. I would agree that Obama has his own share of responsibility for the guy once he re-appointed him (several times in fact), but that doesn't take away the GOP-flavored support he's received consistently.

I think G's comment is to why the GOP House has apparently ducked its oversight function as to these matters, one might think out of favoritism to their boy. That appearance may be unfair, as maybe this is all under the Intelligence Committee's purview, and they are probably looking into it, with membership from both sides.

Gayle in MD
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
in September, Townsend said.Related: Petraeus stand-in has been through this before (http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/acting-cia-chief-has-been-through-this-before/)
Broadwell's clearance and rights to view documents could put her in legal jeopardy if she did not follow the procedures.

Under federal law, if Broadwell has classified material in her home she must show she has authority to have it, that it relates to her work in military intelligence and that she is following all security and safety measures to safeguard the material, military officials told CNN.

Broadwell has said that she was working on a second book about Petraeus. Her LinkedIn profile lists her as "Archivist/Biographer for General (Retired) David Petreaus." Her first book, 'All In,' was a look at Petraeus' leadership.

Broadwell has spoken about how she had to deal with sensitive information in the course of researching her first book.

"I had to follow very clear lines of non-disclosure and sign non-disclosure agreements, like my colleagues. I felt like I was almost held to a higher level of accountability because I could lose my clearance," Broadwell said in a speech last year. "I think it was important to inform my writing, but I knew there was a clear line that I couldn't cross when I was writing it out."

Petraeus insists he never shared classified information with Broadwell, said retired military officer John Nagl who has spoken with Petraeus in recent days.
The intertwining of Broadwell's military role and her close access to Petraeus, makes the investigation complicated, said Townsend.

"As a reservist, she had, we're told, top-secret compartmented information clearance. But that clearance is only in place, if you will, active when she's on reserve duty. Clearly when she was embedded with Petraeus, getting ready as his biographer to write a book, that clearance didn't apply," said Townsend.

Townsend said where it gets really complicated is if Broadwell was privvy to information gleaned while being given access while writing the book.

"So she really should not have been given access. And she wouldn't have unless David Petraeus walked her into the room and invited her into these classified briefings," Townsend said. "You know, if the general brings her into a room where there's a classified conversation, you really put the onus then on his subordinates to raise the question of whether or not they can talk in front of her.
"And, of course, they're taking their signal from the general. If he's bringing her in, it's implicit that they're able to speak in front of her. And so I think this is a pretty complicated investigation, both for the FBI and for the Justice Department," Townsend said.

Senior federal law enforcement officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told CNN that there is no indication Petraeus disclosed classified material to Broadwell.

The Army refused to publicly confirm the suspension of Broadwell's security clearance, first reported on CNN, but issued a statement:
"The Army has been cooperating with federal law enforcement authorities in this matter, and those actions are ongoing. Appropriate actions with regard to this officer's clearance and access have been taken," said George Wright, deputy director of Army media relations.