10-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Hey Nick Pool Dawg, I beat you to it LOL

Has anybody seen these?
----------------------------------------------------------

Sat 19 12:00 PM Gunsmoke: Cowtown Hustler TVLAND

Gunsmoke
Cowtown Hustler
60 min.
Jack Albertson as a has-been pool hustler on a comeback trail. Rope: Jonathan Lippe. Matt: James Arness. Sally: Nellie Bellflower. Willie: John Davis Chandler.

Tue 22 8:00 PM Brady Bunch: The Hustler TVLAND

Brady Bunch
The Hustler
30 min.
When the Bradys acquire a pool table, Bobby drops all activities in order to become a pool champion. Bobby: Mike Lookinland. Mike: Robert Reed. Mathews: Jim Backus. Mrs. Mathews: Dorothy Shay. Carol: Florence Henderson.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes I am bored. Why do you ask? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

nAz
10-12-2002, 12:00 PM
i have seen both years back on reruns but cant remember all of it other then it was cheesy, too bad i dont get TVland!
wont watching it again

PQQLK9
10-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Hey Wally...I was going through my pre-post routine /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif...I have the Gunsmoke episode on a tape I got from Willie Joplin...Heard that the Brady Bunch cast did drugs and gambled between shootings. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Wally,

I've seen both of them. I like Gunsmoke - still watch it on TVland - and I like that episode, even if it isn't one of the best.

The Brady Bunch? Well, what can you say. I understand the property values went down in the Brady neighborhood after that. Greg became a pimp, and Marsha a hooker. You can't say pool didn't do its part in making the show interesting.

So you know how far I go back, I remember a pool related theme in an early to mid 1960s series called "Hazel." Hazel is the family maid and when the family gets a pool table she screws together her two-piece cue her employer didn't know she had and starts nailing balls into the pockets.

And how about "The Honeymooners" episode with Ralph taking Alice to the pool hall because he's on the outs with Ed. Alice chalks up by putting the chalk on her shoes, thinking it's like bowling. Then she wants to shoot with the crutch because it has a big end.

The there's "Mission Impossible" and "The Twilight Zone" and ...

Anybody have more pool related TV episodes they want to share?

Regards,
Bob

Cueless Joey
10-12-2002, 12:56 PM
On Married With Children, Kelly Bundy becomes a pool hustler and loses a big bet when Al passes out on the table while Kelly shot at the 8-ball.
On Prince of Bel Air, Will Smith becomes a hustler is set up by two hustlers. One takes a dive against him to raise the bet and has his friend shoot against Will.

PQQLK9
10-12-2002, 01:00 PM
I saw the Twilight Zone "A Game of Pool" a week or so ago...I remember the Hazel show also....there was also a pool story on The Fresh Prince where uncle Phil goes to the poolroom to avenge a gambling loss by Will.

nAz
10-12-2002, 01:33 PM
ok i was watching tool time today and tim the tool man had made the "mans bedroom". form the headborad of the bed a pool table slides out and then pool cue shoot up from the ground. now that cool

Voodoo Daddy
10-12-2002, 02:02 PM
The Dick Van Dyke show with the pool table in the basement and the hustler beating him senseless....was funny then, but I was 5!! HAHAHAHAHA

9 Ball Girl
10-12-2002, 10:20 PM
On the show Martin (when it was on) there's an episode where Martin, Tommy, and Cole are at their hangout and they're playing pool. There's a female playing really crappy and makes a bet with Martin. Well, she turns out to be a hustler and takes all of his stuff sending him home in his boxers!

jbullerjr
10-12-2002, 11:22 PM
On the HBO show Arliss, Arliss's secratary gets hustled in a pool hall and calls in her cousin, Jenette Lee, to avenge her loss.

CarolNYC
10-13-2002, 04:24 AM
Hi Wally,
I saw a twilight zone episode "A Game of Pool" with Jonathon Winters and Jack Klugman-the moral was the pro and cons of being the best(even if you've died)-the pro is that you are the best and the con is that there is always someone out there who will challenge you and try to beat you!
Have a good day!
Carol:)

10-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Almost every time pool is introduced into a story line, it is almost always the same story. Someone get hustled and someone, (Usually the last one you would expect), wins the money back. Or pool comes up between two characters and it results in a bet of some kind. They always throw in a little sharking and remarking also. In the media, it would be best for pool if it was not necessarily the story line but just in the background. In other words, the table is in the background and regular people are just playing in a normal setting. I liked the way it was done, in the movie "An American President," It was just there like playing pool is just a normal thing to do. Keeping the game in front of the public in a positive setting I think is best. Could you imagine the boost to the game you would get, if in a show like the old Cosby show, they had a pool table in their house and they were often seen playing. Of course it would probably take some kind of payola from the billiard community to get this kind of product placement or an entertainer who happens to like pool to do it. They do, (pool tables), appear in commercials a lot more nowadays and that is a positive thing. Shows like Baretta just dragged pool back through the mud. I used to hate the way pool was shown in that show. Even if that aspect of pool exists, (and it does), I hate to see it played up.

10-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Voodoo, I forgot about Dick van Dyke, a really classic show. I always look forward to that episode, even if it's not the funniest. The hustler in that episode is Buddy Sorrel's black sheep brother. He beats Rob and then tears up the $300 check - that's a chunk in the 1960s - in front of his brother to show he's gone straight.

All the best,
Bob

10-13-2002, 12:47 PM
I guess you do have a point. Chess was shown in a good light on the Cosby Show and United States Chess Federation membership picked up.

Bob

10-13-2002, 06:29 PM
It's really not worth watching but......

Irene and Archie are arguing over women in sports..

Irene says "What do you know, you don't play sports"

Archie says "Yeah I do, I play a mean game of pool down at Kelsey's" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Irene challenges him, he accepts, she shows up with a 2-piece cue..turns out she was on the pool team in college.

The funniest part is Archie saying "You've got a private pool cue. You can't use a private pool cue" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wally