PDA

View Full Version : #1 Player of the Year

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Mike Howerton (AZBilliards) has started a new poll on his home page of his web-site

Who do you think is the #1 player of 2002?

Please go to AZBilliards and cast your vote..

1.Francisco Bustamante

2.Efren Reyes

3.Ralf Souquet

4.Earl Strickland

5.Johnny Archer

and #6... a dark horse for sure.. but a favorite player from the US Open Crew..

SANDOR TOT

nmshooter
10-12-2002, 11:18 PM
How are these players chosen? I am curious if they are chosen from popularity or performance. I think they are all great players and have had good years so I wouldnt know where to begin on performance wise. I would pick Earl Strickland otherwise, from that list anyway. Also it seems the list is based on 9 ball players. I would bet there are people out there who would pick snooker players or players who play different games. I think everytime I look at a tourney result of any kind of pool game I see Jose Parica's name on there somewhere.

Harold Acosta
10-12-2002, 11:22 PM
[b] BUSTA is the Man!

Cueless Joey
10-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Busta has won more major tourneys this year than anyone. He was a finalist at the World 9-ball as well. If he didn't play in the Asian Games, who knows what he could have done at the Open.

Harold Acosta
10-12-2002, 11:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Busta has won more major tourneys this year than anyone. He was a finalist at the World 9-ball as well. If he didn't play in the Asian Games, who knows what he could have done at the Open. <hr></blockquote>

[b]<font color=green>******
<font color=black>AMEN!
<font color=green>******

10-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Hello,
My vote would have to go to Souquet. He went through 3 straight IBC tournaments without a loss. That's about 30 matches without ever being in the losers bracket. He is playing very well.

Shawn

10-13-2002, 01:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Shawn:</font><hr> Hello,
My vote would have to go to Souquet. He went through 3 straight IBC tournaments without a loss. That's about 30 matches without ever being in the losers bracket. He is playing very well.

Shawn <hr></blockquote>

What Souquet DID this year's NOT comparable to what Bustamante DID this year!

Bustamante is VERY clear the 2002 player of the year. PERIOD

10-13-2002, 06:05 AM
Under that rationale there is a HUGE list of candidates that aren't on the list. Seeing a list of the most famous 1 pocket players isn't going to happen because nobody wants to watch 1 pocket on TV or anywhere else for an extended period of time. 9 Ball is fast which makes it popular, so the most famous pool players are naturally going to be the 9 Ball players. Not to say that the players listed aren't good at other pool games. I've seen a video of Reyes playing 1 pocket that was more than impressive. I have to say that when Bustamante is hot he plays as hot as anybody. Based on last year's performance he did the best, but when players are THAT good, it's hard to rank one over the other. You know what I want to see? A TRUE open tournament. Men against the women. Throw Allison Fisher and Karen Corr in with the dogs. They need some real competition for me to decide how they play.

Amanda
10-13-2002, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: yougottheseven:</font><hr> You know what I want to see? A TRUE open tournament. Men against the women. Throw Allison Fisher and Karen Corr in with the dogs. They need some real competition for me to decide how they play. <hr></blockquote>
I noticed when I was at the US Open a couple of weeks ago that no women were in it. When I asked about why, I was told that women are welcome to play however its always been customary that none enter it. Why is that? I am looking forward to entering some more open tournaments (not quite to the level of the US Open)in the next year, but am I going to be creating problems in doing so? I was thinking of the Planet Pool which has a women's division but was thinking of entering the open side as well, also the Joss tour when its within reasonable distance of MD. Is there a certain seperation of the sexes at the professional level?
If so is it a mutual thing or is one more responsible for that than the other?

Amanda
I'm not as think as you thought you confused you are!

Ken
10-13-2002, 07:11 AM
There will certainly be no problem if you enter some Joss events. Most have some female entrants and their participation is appreciated. Karen has done well with a 2nd and other good performances. She has beaten a lot of strong male players. Julie, Tiffany and Nicole have played quite a few times and there are many amateur females who enter on occasion.
KenCT

Jay M
10-13-2002, 08:24 AM
here's a few thoughts for you with regards to there not being women in the US Open in Chesapeake.

1) There is an annual "Women's US Open" which is restricted to women only

2) The WPBA contracts prohibit touring professionals (I'm not sure about the other levels of pro) from playing in non-WPBA events unless a waiver is issued. A WPBA representative stated to me personally that they would NOT issue waivers for any non-sanctioned tournament that was televised in any manner. The US Open has been filmed by accustats for how many years now?

On the other hand, Karen Corr participates in the Joss series and I've seen Sarah Ellerby participate in SE Tour events (the TK tour), although I don't know whether Sarah is still participating in them now that she has Touring Pro status. Also, Sarah is still competing on some of the Spirit and Florida Ladies Pro tour events.

So in answer to your question, there's no rule that says you can't compete with the men, UNLESS you have a contract with the WPBA which says differently.

Jay M

eg8r
10-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Is Accustats considered "televised". I would consider is more "straight to tape".

eg8r