PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE FROM LAS VEGAS??

10-13-2002, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking about moving down to Las Vegas in about a year.. after pool leagues are over, and I've put in 5 years at my job.

I'm wondering where around vegas is a good place to live?? Where are the places to play? and if it's worth living there?? My friend from work is moving there to go to school, and has to live in Nevada for a year before he starts, so I'm doing the same thing.. but I want to get into the APA leagues and play tournaments.

Any help, ideas, or input would be much appreciated. I also wouldn't mind finding players on here to meet up with and play some.

nmshooter
10-13-2002, 04:33 PM
I lived there for 11 years and played in a 9 ball league out of Dealers Choice (bar name) They have about 18 teams out of there. I think they played 6 or 7 days a week. Its a very large league. If I remember correctly is was called "Southern Nevada 9 ball association" or something like that. I only played the 9 ball league but I think they may have an APA, VNEA and BCA leagues.

For tournaments, I mainly played at The Cue Club on West Sahara, Dealers Choice on Spring Mountain and just about any other bar or hall that was having tourneys. There are quite a few.

As far as living: I lived in the NW area in Summerlin. You say your friend is going to school there. That would be more SE, SE is a good area but I dont know much about rent in that area. SE is also closer to most of the pool halls. I dont live there anymore and havent in about 4 years but I believe things are still as I described. There is a regular poster here who does live there now but I have never been able to get ahold of him as I was wanting to talk about some things with him also. I cant remember his name now but maybe some of the other regulars can tell you who it is.

10-13-2002, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> I lived there for 11 years and played in a 9 ball league out of Dealers Choice (bar name) They have about 18 teams out of there. I think they played 6 or 7 days a week. Its a very large league. If I remember correctly is was called "Southern Nevada 9 ball association" or something like that. I only played the 9 ball league but I think they may have an APA, VNEA and BCA leagues.

For tournaments, I mainly played at The Cue Club on West Sahara, Dealers Choice on Spring Mountain and just about any other bar or hall that was having tourneys. There are quite a few.

As far as living: I lived in the NW area in Summerlin. You say your friend is going to school there. That would be more SE, SE is a good area but I dont know much about rent in that area. SE is also closer to most of the pool halls. I dont live there anymore and havent in about 4 years but I believe things are still as I described. There is a regular poster here who does live there now but I have never been able to get ahold of him as I was wanting to talk about some things with him also. I cant remember his name now but maybe some of the other regulars can tell you who it is.

<hr></blockquote>

I think you're talking about Radge_in_vegas maybe? I haven't seen him around much, if thats who you're talking about.. I wanted to talk to him.

As far as the SE area, I don't know where that is, but my friend is talking about a suburb right outside of vegas, near a lake. He says there is another area that doesn't cost as much to live that is 5 or 10 minutes from there.. and thats where I'm thinking of possibly going.

The pool scene sounds pretty good from what you describe.. are there any 24 hour places to play? Any 3 cushion tables, or snooker tables? And where would I find the best shooters most likely? (dealers choice, perhaps?)

thanks for your input, much appreciated.

..Seattle-kid..

nmshooter
10-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Radge in vegas wasnt the one i was thinking of but he may be able to help you also.

When I lived there, there were quite a few good players out of Dealers Choice. I used to host an "A" player Round Robin out of there on weekends. Alot of the top players would go there. Keep in mind, im talking bar boxes there.

Cue club has all the table you mention, or did. They also have tourneys and have quite alot of the good players also. These are on the 9 footers.

The league I described was fairly large, im my eyes anyway.
There were 5 or 6 divisions from beginner to advanced, about 20 or so teams per division. There were teams from all over Las Vegas so there were great players from every corner. I think DC has the friendliest folks and was a very decent place to play out of. Good food, nice people. If you go there, let me know, I can tell you who to look for there.

There are several lakes there in Las Vegas (manmade) so Im not sure where he means. If hes talking about "The Lakes" area, that is pretty pricey. If hes talking about Henderson, which is a suburb of Vegas, its not too bad. Thats closer to Lake Mead. I just hope he isnt talking about "Groom Lake". (insider joke, you will learn when you get there)

Rip
10-13-2002, 05:58 PM
The Las Vegas Cue Club on E. Sahara is a 24 hour room a couple of blocks off the strip and has tables to accomodate all the games. They also run leagues and tournaments out the Cue Club. I'm not a league player so others here will have to help you in that area. But if action is what you prefer, you probably won't have to look very hard for game. Pool Sharks is slightly west of the strip, used to be Butera's place but he sold his piece and they have weekly tournaments and leagues as well. PinkE's...well, errr, never mind. RumRunner and Dealers Choice and PT's Pubs host some pretty nice events and there is usually a game to found there if that's what blows your dress up. Jillians opens tomorrow at the Neonopolis area of downtown Las Vegas.
As for where to live?? Too many variables but it's a small valley so it shouldn't take you long to decide.
When you arrive in Las Vegas, just remember one thing...Rip needs the last two! Good luck, Rip

10-14-2002, 12:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> Radge in vegas wasnt the one i was thinking of but he may be able to help you also.

When I lived there, there were quite a few good players out of Dealers Choice. I used to host an "A" player Round Robin out of there on weekends. Alot of the top players would go there. Keep in mind, im talking bar boxes there.

Cue club has all the table you mention, or did. They also have tourneys and have quite alot of the good players also. These are on the 9 footers.

The league I described was fairly large, im my eyes anyway.
There were 5 or 6 divisions from beginner to advanced, about 20 or so teams per division. There were teams from all over Las Vegas so there were great players from every corner. I think DC has the friendliest folks and was a very decent place to play out of. Good food, nice people. If you go there, let me know, I can tell you who to look for there.

There are several lakes there in Las Vegas (manmade) so Im not sure where he means. If hes talking about "The Lakes" area, that is pretty pricey. If hes talking about Henderson, which is a suburb of Vegas, its not too bad. Thats closer to Lake Mead. I just hope he isnt talking about "Groom Lake". (insider joke, you will learn when you get there) <hr></blockquote>

I think lake mead sounds familliar.. I don't know, I forgot to ask him. Uhm.. ok, so stay away from "groom lake" right? :&gt; Ok, I can do that unless they hold a good tournament on the lake. !?! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Just kidding, anyways, those leagues are alot larger than here.. I actually live across the water from Seattle, but if I called myself "poulsbo-kid" people would either laugh if they'd heard of this place, or wonder what the hell a "poulsbo" is. Anyhow, we have a league here and one in bremerton, which is about 25 miles away.. also known as the "armpit of kitsap county."

What are the laws there too? Are there any wierd laws like Washington? I don't really do anything illegal, but just wondering. Any bugs or critters to watch out for? Remember, I come from Washington, and we don't have scorpions or alot of poisonous things at all.. no snakes really.. in fact, the worst thing for you here is the constant rain... but it motivates you to stay inside and play pool sometimes.. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

nmshooter
10-14-2002, 01:01 AM
They dont call it Sin City for nothing. I dont remember to many bugs. Too hot for flies. You'll hear crickets but they wont hurt ya...lol. You may see a scorpion or 2. Keep a broom handle around as Rip can attest. The only snakes I saw were in the pool rooms but if you associate yourself correctly you wont have to worry bout that.

PS......Groom lake is dry and is where Area 51 is but according to the government, it doesnt really exist.

nmshooter
10-14-2002, 01:06 AM
hahaha, PinkE's. I could never get used to the pink tables there. They had regular green cloth tables when I was there but they never played any tournaments on anything other than the pink ones. Gave me headaches.

Rip, do you hang out with anyone in particular when you shoot or do you just kinda do your own thing. I would be interested to know if you know any of the people I used to associate with. Maybe you could tell me how they are doing now since I lost contact.

10-14-2002, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rip:</font><hr> The Las Vegas Cue Club on E. Sahara is a 24 hour room a couple of blocks off the strip and has tables to accomodate all the games. They also run leagues and tournaments out the Cue Club. I'm not a league player so others here will have to help you in that area. But if action is what you prefer, you probably won't have to look very hard for game. Pool Sharks is slightly west of the strip, used to be Butera's place but he sold his piece and they have weekly tournaments and leagues as well. PinkE's...well, errr, never mind. RumRunner and Dealers Choice and PT's Pubs host some pretty nice events and there is usually a game to found there if that's what blows your dress up. Jillians opens tomorrow at the Neonopolis area of downtown Las Vegas.
As for where to live?? Too many variables but it's a small valley so it shouldn't take you long to decide.
When you arrive in Las Vegas, just remember one thing...Rip needs the last two! Good luck, Rip <hr></blockquote>

Ok, I've heard of pinke's, if it's the same as the one in klamath falls, Oregon. Been there, and don't want back. There used to be a Jillians in Seattle.. I don't know if it's still there though.

I'm a decent player, but looking to improve alot more. I have the best guys around here trying to play me for money, but I don't want to untill I can serve 'em up something they'll never forget.. but I can't do it playing around here... thats for sure.. besides, they don't have BCA or even APA leagues around here... it's just a stupid bar league with a bunch of drunk idiots, and a few good shooters.

Anyhow, I'm excited to move down.. almost ready to sell all my stuff right now and take off, but I can't. I gotta pay off some debts, work for another year to get in my 5 years in the union, and finish out this league season. (Last week we won 15-0, which is a "big thing" around here.. only been done a few times in the last 5 years or so I guess.)

anyways, I'll give you the last two unless you start kicking my butt royaly, and if that happens, I'll take the break and the 8.. unless it's really bad, I'll have to take the break and the 7-up. But I need work on my 1-hole, so I hope you're open minded to that! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks RIP, I'll see you soon enough.. even sooner if you're going towards Seattle anytime soon.

AndyG
10-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Rip, What about the Crystal Palace? Is it still there? If I remember correctly, one of the US Champion 3 cushion players owned a piece of it. I played there quite a lot in the late 70's and early 80's.

Andy G.

10-18-2002, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> They dont call it Sin City for nothing. I dont remember to many bugs. Too hot for flies. You'll hear crickets but they wont hurt ya...lol. You may see a scorpion or 2. Keep a broom handle around as Rip can attest. The only snakes I saw were in the pool rooms but if you associate yourself correctly you wont have to worry bout that.

PS......Groom lake is dry and is where Area 51 is but according to the government, it doesnt really exist.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, we have snakes here in our pool rooms also.. they don't really bite, unless it's your wallet or your unattended cue-case. As for Groom lake.. would the government mind if I fill it up and swim in it? And if it doesn't exist, then there must be a huge fence around it!! ;&gt;