PDA

View Full Version : Willard tipper machine - nicked ferrules anyone?

10-13-2002, 01:23 PM
A friend of mine has a Willards and in shaving the tip flush with the Ivory ferrule nicked it, which made him sick. He said you have to be very careful and have a good eye. Has anyone else who has used the Willards tipper extensively had this problem?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

houseman
10-13-2002, 01:29 PM
A few years ago at my room when I first used the Williards I
nicked a ferrule, thank god it was my own shaft.
You have to be carefull and take your time, but they are a good
machine if used correctly. I use the williards then put the shaft on my converted lathe to finish the job.

Troy
10-13-2002, 07:36 PM
There is a depth adjustment on Willard's trimmers. Using it correctly will never cut into the ferrule. There is really no need to trim the tip precisely flush with ferrule.

I always stop slightly short of the ferrule and finish the trimming job on a lathe.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> A friend of mine has a Willards and in shaving the tip flush with the Ivory ferrule nicked it, which made him sick. He said you have to be very careful and have a good eye. Has anyone else who has used the Willards tipper extensively had this problem?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob <hr></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I somehow feel slightly opinionated about the statement, "I don't try to get close to the ferrule, I finish on the lathe." I have one of these Willards BECAUSE I could not afford a lathe. Isn't it kind of sadistic(harsh term I guess) to give a response to someone about the fine details on preventing nicks in ferrules by saying use the lathe?

My answer to the nicked ferrule deal is this. Use the screw in the trimmer and make damn sure you are patient beyond your own self perceived limits. You'll see the change in color when you hit the glue line and that's when you put it all in granny gear. Nuf said...sid~~~getting the joint pins for chocking up in the drill motor for those final touches,,,for now though, it is patience and more patience when trimming with the Willard

10-13-2002, 09:08 PM
SID, you nailed it. GO SLOW.....If your Q is off center in the holder, even by a few thousands of an inch, you can easily cut into the ferrule...JER

10-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered. I have to say, though, that Sid voiced my concerns exactly. My friend does this for his own cues because a lathe would be too expensive and impractical, and Dave Kikel, one of the few he or I trust to replace a tip perfectly, is over 100 miles away.

The fact that just one little slip and there goes my ivory ferrule really concerns me and makes me rethink my decision to buy a Willards. Maybe I should just ship my shafts off to Dave to make sure the tips are applied perfectly.

Of course, another solution may be to tape the ferrule once or twice around with clear package sealing tape to make sure I don't damage it. Is it possible to do this with the Willards and not have the tape get in the way if the depth gauge is set correctly?

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2002, 04:48 PM
One thing I am going to to is move into using pads at tip install. That way I have some liberty to go beyond the tip and still not cut ferrule. To restate, I always watch for the color of glue line as a guide too. To your question about taping the ferrule in hopes of preventing an accidental scar on your ivory ferrule,,,the trim tool will really get wild of you let that depth screw out to fast. I can't imagine anything that you could put around it to protect it and still allow the tool to finish it's job properly. I thought the same thoughts, as recent as yesterday in fact, and I may try it anyway to see if the tape will help in gauging the "danger zone." That's all though, I SERIOUSLY doubt anything(except tedious technique) will halt a quick moving blade from going straight through to the costly part.

I am personally happy with my new Willard, installed and trimmed 2 tips now but have taken lot's of time on the trim portion. Once I do get pin inserts I'll quit the trim with a slight ridge still on the tip at ferrule junction, and I'll spin it in a drill motor and finish with hand &amp; sandpaper.

I'll probably nick a ferrule someday but hopefully it'll be slight. Btw, none of my stuff is ivory. I understand your concerns, but I'll tell ya "It's nice to see your own work when it is all finished and done" :-))) sid

10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi Sid,

Let me know if you are successful with taping the ferrule.

By the way, I do have pads on my ivory ferrules. I don't think I'd apply a tip to an ivory ferrule without one. The trouble is when you change a pad you have the same problem cutting it flush with the ferrule. Maybe the best thing for me to do is to trim the tip close, tape the ferrule right up to the tip or pad and sand the rest by hand with fine grit paper.

I wish you the best with your drill motor setup. Sounds good.

Thanks, and all the best,
Bob