PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Bashing

griffith_d
10-14-2002, 06:35 AM
Maybe it is just my imagination,....why is there so much Meucci bashing everywhere I go,...message boards, etc.

I notice people are so quick to say something negative about the shafts, or poor quality,...when the list on the CCB show 14 pros that use Meucci cues.

I am sure they probably have some super duper cue made just their exacting specs,...but I do not see all of the problems that people see,...

Do I have blinders on?

Griff

Perk
10-14-2002, 07:07 AM
I believe meucci cues are pretty good...I prefer to shoot with a predator. Only because i got used to the stiffness. I have friends that really enjoy their meucci cues, and they play alot as well. I also have others that shoot with bottom line cuetecs...and they like it.

So the bottom line to me is: IF YA GET USED TO A CUE, IT IS AN EXCELLENT CUE. If ya jump on everyones bad cue bandwagons, then i guess they just cant get used to it!

Chris Cass
10-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi Griff,

Meucci, used to have a thing I heard about offering the pros $5000. bonus if you win a tourney using their cues. Like an incentive. I could be wrong but I remember hearing about it for a long time.

The reason Meucci' get bashed so much is their weak quality control department. Also, the way they chuck them out. I have nothing in the world against them myself. I used one for 11 yrs. coming up. The whole key to buying a Meucci is in your keen eyes. Look for any flaws and when you find one that has none or the few are exceptable ones, buy it. I myself always liked the low line 2 point Meucci cues. I did own a MO-8, the one with the chess board pieces in it. It's now a jump cue for my son. If that tells you anything.

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
10-14-2002, 07:21 AM
Here's my take on the situation, Grif. I'm not a Muecci basher, but I see what you're referring to. There are also those who seem to bash Predator also. I think it is in response to the claims of superiority made by both of these companies. I believe they are both good cues, but I'm not sure they are that much superior to any of the other quality made cues. The pros use all brands. Fisher and Strickland use Cuetec, but I'm not interested in one. The best one is the one you feel most comfortable with, IMO.

Rich R.
10-14-2002, 07:40 AM
I'm not a Meucci fan, but I don't usually bash them either.
I believe the feel of a cue is different for everyone. You should use what feels best to you. As long as you are happy with the cue, it doesn't matter what name is on it.
I also would not trust a pro endorsement. Most of them will use any cue that pays them what they want.
Rich R.

griffith_d
10-14-2002, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> I'm not a Meucci fan, but I don't usually bash them either.
I believe the feel of a cue is different for everyone. You should use what feels best to you. As long as you are happy with the cue, it doesn't matter what name is on it.
I also would not trust a pro endorsement. Most of them will use any cue that pays them what they want.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

The saying is true,..."you play with the one who pays"(the bills),..

Griff

griffith_d
10-14-2002, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Griff,

Meucci, used to have a thing I heard about offering the pros $5000. bonus if you win a tourney using their cues. Like an incentive. I could be wrong but I remember hearing about it for a long time.

The reason Meucci' get bashed so much is their weak quality control department. Also, the way they chuck them out. I have nothing in the world against them myself. I used one for 11 yrs. coming up. The whole key to buying a Meucci is in your keen eyes. Look for any flaws and when you find one that has none or the few are exceptable ones, buy it. I myself always liked the low line 2 point Meucci cues. I did own a MO-8, the one with the chess board pieces in it. It's now a jump cue for my son. If that tells you anything.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

For sure, quality can be seen in anything by the parts used and the workmanship that puts them together. But, if a manufacturer does not pull all of the bad ones out to keep up quality control, they will only lose customers.

I guess I must have got a good one,...maybe they started it on Tuesday and finished on Thursday,...you have to look out for the ones started on Friday and finished on Monday,...

Griff

griffith_d
10-14-2002, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Perk:</font><hr> I believe meucci cues are pretty good...I prefer to shoot with a predator. Only because i got used to the stiffness. I have friends that really enjoy their meucci cues, and they play alot as well. I also have others that shoot with bottom line cuetecs...and they like it.

So the bottom line to me is: IF YA GET USED TO A CUE, IT IS AN EXCELLENT CUE. If ya jump on everyones bad cue bandwagons, then i guess they just cant get used to it! <hr></blockquote>

I own Predator(break) and Meucci(play) and would not knock either one,...I quess I do not cut down many things,...unless I could make one better.

Griff

SpiderMan
10-14-2002, 08:39 AM
I've heard stories about poor quality control. My first cue was a Muecci, a plain two-piece made in Memphis in 1975. The forearm area of the 1-piece butt warped within about 6 months.

I currently own a Meucci that was made around 1985, and it is a great cue. I'd say his methods improved over the years.

Some portion of the bashing could be due to the attitude Bob Meucci has in person, he comes across as a huckster or BS artist when you ask any questions at his demos.

For what it's worth, Bill Schick once told me that he thinks Bob Meucci "knows how to make a good cue".

My present cuemaker (Mike Erwin) was Bob Meucci's foreman for about 15 years beginning in the late '70s. I think he was unhappy with the way things were going there when he left (my opinion from talking to him).

SpiderMan

10-14-2002, 05:00 PM
It's pretty much common knowledge that Meucci cues leave much to be desired when it comes to quality. Sure, some may have isolated stories of having found a "good one", and some may even like them and defend them. You will find that the majority opinion is that the cues live up to their bad reputation. Also, many professionals who use the cues are probably paid to do so.

Rod
10-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Grif, I have a problem with anyone that sprays over a perfectly good wrap.

griffith_d
10-14-2002, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Grif, I have a problem with anyone that sprays over a perfectly good wrap. <hr></blockquote>

Now that you mention that,..that has always sounded like a stupid idea,...why wrap it and then cover,....why wrap it at all.

But, I do not like a wrap anymore,...the BK that I have is the same way,...no wrap. I get a better feel,...it's like feeling the mud between your toes,...it you put boots on,...well, you know.

Griff

Bob C
10-14-2002, 06:20 PM
My first 2-piece cue that cost more than $25 was a two-point Meucci which I bought in the late 1980s. In less than three years the butt plate and ring work below the wrap came loose and had to be re-glued. My next Meucci was an "Oldie #1"--a Balabushka copy. After 3 or 4 years all of the MOP inlays popped out of the finish (Meucci would not repair as a manufacturing defect.) My third (and you may ask why I would buy a third) was a 95-12. It has held up fine and plays great.

Oh, BTW, the reason I bought the third was that Bob's father was a great guy and a friend of mine. I wanted to be able to tell him that his son made a great cue. That is exactly what I told him; "Bob made a great one when he made this cue."

Cueless Joey
10-14-2002, 06:51 PM
14 pros use Meucci?
Years ago they did. But, that's another story.
Meucci is also a great source of laughs at the pool hall. It's like the Hyundai joke of pool.
I heard Meucci used to sell a ton of cues back in the 80's.
Then the quality went down as Meucci made cues too quickly.
Surely, now Meucci doesn't sell any more cues than Viking, Mcd, Joss or maybe Schon. But these other big names do not get desparaged nearly as bad as Meucci.
Meucci has a reputation (whether it's true or not) for very whippy shaft design that squirts more than any shaft out there, too much plastic in their cues and very weak ferrule.
Meucci's sprayed-on wrap is done for one reason imo. It's cheaper to do so. Spray the whole cue once or twice, then it's done.

10-14-2002, 07:31 PM
I bought a Meucci and am not sorry I bought the thing. It was certainly better than the cue I was playing with and it has served me well in any case. Besides, I like a whippy shaft!

As for the Meucci bashing, heres my $.02: When I got the thing I bought it on the internet I immediately inspected it for obvious defects. I quickly noticed that the tip was about 1/16 of an inch too small for the ferrule. I could not help but to conclude that the claims about Meucci quality control were indeed true given this minor but conspicuous mistake. (I had planned to replace the tip with a quality layered tip so the cost of a new tip was not something I had not planned for.)

Im now waiting for the day the cue disintegrates in my hand as I remove it from its case. Why? Because shipping a product with an obvious and correctable defect, in this case, a pool cue with an improperly sized tip, shows utter contempt for the customer who buys the product. It also show a lack of self-respect.

It my cue disintegrating may never happen. But, I find it difficult to believe that all is well. Meucci can only blame himself for the bad press he gets. In this world, one earns trust.

Steve

Chris Cass
10-14-2002, 09:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Meucci has a reputation (whether it's true or not) for very whippy shaft design that squirts more than any shaft out there and very weak ferrule.<hr></blockquote>

Hi Joey,

This Meucci taper of the shafts, 11-14" before it begins. IMO revolutionized the entire pool industry. I think Bob Meucci pioneered this concept and should be given credit for the Super Pro Taper. I tip my hat to him for this move. Gutzy to say the least.

The cheap ferrule material also aides in the famous Meucci hit. Players having difficulty in drawing their rock or spinning the ball find Meucci a welcome hit. If Bob Meucci ever really wanted to become one of the greats? He could have. IMO As far as I can tell in the past 30 yrs. it's all about money, bottom line. The K Mart mentality must have gotten to Bob bad.

Regards,

C.C.~~it's ashame plastic was invented....

10-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Well, Griff, you were around for the Meucci bashing extravaganza over a month ago so I don't have to tell you how I feel. I guess for Bob C - one of the posts below - third time is a charm. Once was all it took for me.

Frankly, I also don't understand why anyone would want a shaft that amplifies your stroke when the name of the game is control. In my opinion, Meuccis are primarily for beginners who are aided by the whippy shaft to draw the cueball a long distance or to apply a lot of english. Yes, pros use them, but the reason has been stated well by other posts.

To each his own, I say; if you or anyone else likes Meucci there isn't anything I can say to convince you otherwise. Who knows, maybe I would have been singing a different tune if things would have worked out. However, there's an old saying that goes: fool me once, shame on them; fool me twice, same on me.

Regards,
Bob

griffith_d
10-15-2002, 06:05 AM
I haven't really found anything wrong with HOF-1 that I have, but I must say, after buying a Pred BK and seeing what a stiffer shaft can do, granted the BK does not play like the regular 314, I prefer the 314/laminated shafts that will provide for better control.

I am going to try Annie O's laminated shaft with her taper she developed(granted she did not make the shaft), but it played so well the other day,...I had to try one.

I still will probably get a 314 on the next cue I want to have made. I have talked to Jerry Olivier about getting a Cocobola with Ebony points,...it ought to be a good cue.

Jerry does not like the metal joints and a couple of friends of mine play with JO cues and say they are excellent cues and it should hold its value.

Griff

#### leonard
10-15-2002, 06:38 AM
I always thought Meucci would be better sold at Orvis in the fishing rod section as a combo fishing rod/pool cue.####

griffith_d
10-15-2002, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: #### leonard:</font><hr> I always thought Meucci would be better sold at Orvis in the fishing rod section as a combo fishing rod/pool cue.#### <hr></blockquote>

With all of this talk about Meucci and how bad they are,...then I must have blinders on and do not know just how good cues can be.

With the new Olivier that I am hoping to get,...I should be dangerous.

Griff

10-15-2002, 07:42 AM
I bought a sneaky pete around the early 90's. I took good care of it and never left it in the car. I don't know how long it took but the butt warped around the forearm and the wood near the rubber bumper split off. A friend has several of them and loves them. The other day we were playing and I asked him what that sound was coming from his cue. He explained that the threads in the bottom for the weight bolt were to big for the bolt and it rattled around. He said it came that way. He hasn't gotten around to sending it back.

I think people who are ball spinners, like I used to be, like the flexible shaft because they can really load the english up on the cue ball. After sometime I learned that you don't really need to spin the ball so much to win.

cheesemouse
10-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Come to think of it the Meucci sneaky pete I bought 10 years ago has a split butt. I thought I may have done it by slamming the butt into the ground, I couldn't remember doing so, maybe it is the products fault. Hmmmmmmmm...

Cueless Joey
10-15-2002, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: #### leonard:</font><hr> I always thought Meucci would be better sold at Orvis in the fishing rod section as a combo fishing rod/pool cue.#### <hr></blockquote>
I think fish deserve better than getting hooked on Meucci.

Jay M
10-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Now for the other side of the coin....

My first real cue was a Meucci "blondie", I had it for four years, never had a problem with it. My second cue was a Meucci two point cue, I forget the number, but it's one of the HOF series now (it wasn't when I bought it). I played that cue for 3 years before I broke it. And the breaking was my fault, I bent it showing someone how flexible the shaft was and the butt broke. While that cue was being repaired, I bought a "Gambler" from the HOF series (red dot shaft).

All of these were purchased right out of the window except the gambler which I special ordered. I never had any problems with them. Even the one I sent to be repaired hasn't had any problems since I've gotten it back. Currently it is my break cue.

as to amplifying the stroke, maybe Meuccis do, maybe they don't. I never noticed any difference between the results of the stroke using a meucci or any other cue, as long as they had the same ferrule and tip. Even, assuming that Meucci cues DO amplify the stroke, that would seem to make it BETTER for the accomplished player, rather than worse. Think of golf clubs. Old metal shaft clubs are easier to hit than the newer graphite (which flexes). And yet all of the pros use graphite, why?

Yes, some of the pros use meucci because they are paid to. BUT, some of us use them just because we like them, or are used to them. BTW, I am currently using a McD play cue because I happened to find one of those "1 in a million" cues that hits exactly right for me. If I hadn't found that cue, I'd still be using the gambler as my primary playing cue.

Jay M

Anonamus
10-15-2002, 01:26 PM
I think you are wrong about the golf club analogy. I think more people bought the graphite because they are easier to hit. The graphite is more forgiving. And if you watch golf on TV, it sure looks to me that the majority are using steel shaft. They are stiffer, less forgiving, but give better results when hit properly. BTW, I assume you are talking about irons and not the driver and fairway woods.

Also, I don't think Meucci shafts "amplify" the stroke. Your stroke has nothing to do with the cue you happened to be holding at the time, and vice versa. I just think the whippy shaft makes it easier to put english and draw on the ball. And, like the golf club analogy, the stiffer shaft (314) is less forgiving but yields better more consistent results when properly applied.

SpiderMan
10-15-2002, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Grif, I have a problem with anyone that sprays over a perfectly good wrap. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Now that you mention that,..that has always sounded like a stupid idea,...why wrap it and then cover,....why wrap it at all.
Griff <hr></blockquote>

I also prefer the uniform feel of a no-wrap (or oversprayed wrap) cue. An oversprayed wrap of string on a plain maple dowel is cheaper to produce than a good-looking well-finished piece of nice birdseye.

SpiderMan

griffith_d
10-15-2002, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: griffith_d:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Grif, I have a problem with anyone that sprays over a perfectly good wrap. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

You like birdseye for the handle,....I only seen a few like that. Usually that is used for the forearm.

Griff

Griff &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

I also prefer the uniform feel of a no-wrap (or oversprayed wrap) cue. An oversprayed wrap of string on a plain maple dowel is cheaper to produce than a good-looking well-finished piece of nice birdseye.

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
10-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Just an example. Wrapping over a plain dowel is a less-expensive way to complete the cue, compared to 'most any nice piece of wood. There's all that wrapped area that the cuemaker no longer has to "do something" with.

SpiderMan

10-15-2002, 05:44 PM
If you don't like the term "amplify the stroke," which I admit is a bit misleading, how about "amplify the hit" or to make it perfectly clear, "amplify the spin"?

Bob

#### leonard
10-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Bob my first pool cue cost $24.95 and $5.00 for an extra shaft. It was a Rambow from Keefe @ Hammer in Chicago. What a bargain.####