PDA

View Full Version : Jatoba Wood?

Rip
10-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Despite my preference for Dymondwood rails such as those on Diamond and Gabriels tables, I recently learned that style or fashion sometimes wins out over form and function. At least that's what my wife told me, LOL. After owning a table with soft wood rails, cherry stained maple, I wanted my new table to have harder wood rails that wouldn't ding so easily. So, I'm having a table built using Jatoba wood for the rails. I've read that Jatoba wood is more dense than Teak and is used for building stairs, handrails and flooring and it's considerably harder on the scale than maple. Any woodworking folks here have experience with Jatoba wood?
Thanks, Rip~has learned that sometimes, compromise means she has a preference and I say "yes dear"! That's 50/50 isn't it--she said it is. LOL!

SPetty
10-14-2002, 07:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rip:</font><hr> Any woodworking folks here have experience with Jatoba wood?<hr></blockquote>Maybe this'll help...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: www.herbalalternatives.com (http://www.herbalalternatives.com):</font><hr>Brazilian Jatoba bark (Hymenaea courbaril) Rainforest

Actions: Tonic, energizer, anti-fungal, decongestant.

Common Uses: In the Brazilian rainforest, Jatoba bark is considered a tonic and energizer and is especially popular amongst Brazilian lumerjacks to increase strength, vigor and productivity. It is also said to be effective in the treatment of a wide range of respitory ailments including asthma, laryngitis, bronchitis, lung weakness and chronic coughs as well as in the treatment of yeast and fungal infections, cystitis, bladder infections, arthritis, prostatitis, bursitis and hemorrhage. Not recommended if nursing or pregnant.<hr></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote: another source:</font><hr>Jatoba tea
The Jatoba tea is a very appreciated drink of the Brazilian lumberjacks, since it is a natural energizer which enables them to work for a long time without fatigue.<hr></blockquote>Might be just the thing for long sessions in smoke filled pool rooms standing on your athlete's feet... /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

P.S. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote: http://www.diamondbilliard.com/diamond_pro.html:</font><hr> Solid oak or other hardwoods, stained to meet individual requirements.<hr></blockquote>

Rip
10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
Now that you mention it, I cannot recall ever meeting an energized Brazilian lumberjack that had a yeast infection or athletes foot. It's all perfectly clear now. Rip~enlightened once again

Barbara
10-14-2002, 10:34 PM
I've gotta get me some of that for Pete's wood shop /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!!

Barbara~~~gives a whole new meaning to "wood shop"....

Brian in VA
10-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Rip,
Woodworking is one of my passions. Jatoba is an extremely dense and tough wood. While it is harder than some species of maple, it is only as hard as sugar maple, acer saccarum, also known as "rock maple." The density of it, about 20% more than maple, may provide you with what you're looking for. Teak, by the way, isn't all that hard but it contains silica in the cells which makes it very tough, particularly on tools.

I'm surprised to hear you say that the maple was too soft. Are you sure it's maple? Could be birch which looks a lot like maple but is much softer. Is it that the rail takes a shot softer or the wood on top of the rail dings easily? If it's the latter, it probably isn't maple. If it's the former, the rails probably aren't attached or aligned properly. Hope this helps.
Brian

10-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Brian, Jatoba is much harder than even hard maple. Jatoba measures 2350 on the Janka hardness scale. . Maple is only 1450 on Janka. Jatoba will not ding as easy as maple since Jatoba is one of the hardest woods in existence. Cooder

Fred Agnir
10-15-2002, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Maple is only 1450 on Janka. <hr></blockquote>

JANKA! JANKA! JANKA! JANKA!

HTH,

Fred &lt;~~~ pardon the moment of primal screaming