PDA

View Full Version : 1-hole break

rackmup
10-14-2002, 05:54 PM
(ssshhhh...be quiet. I don't want OnePocketChamp to hear us talking.

What is the best/most successful one-pocket break? My break needs help. I usually scratch. I'm hitting the second ball (right side of the rack), top-left english. If I don't scratch, I make the right corner ball in his hole.

Sometimes, I make a ball in my pocket but it's just not a consistent break.

Help!)

10-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Most of the real players hit a little of the first ball, like maybe 1/8 of it. That's about like aiming to hit the second ball in the face. High left english is correct, and be sure the rack is tight, especially the line of balls down the right side, if you're breaking from that side. The speed should be just enough to leave most of the rack between the CB and your pocket. The results will probably vary, but that's the way it's done.

Mike H
10-14-2002, 06:09 PM
You've got the right idea with the break, I would recommend splitting the head ball and the second ball with high inside english. Ideally, you want the cue ball to freeze to the long rail between the middle diamond and the diamond closest to the side pocket. Once you become more accurate with this break, you'll find yourself making a ball in your pocket maybe up to 1 in 4 times. Another good break to learn is the one used by Corey (although I wouldn't try it against Onepocketchamp till you've practiced it some). If you're breaking from the right side of the table, designate the right-hand pocket as yours. Place the cue ball about 3 inches from the side rail, hit the 2nd ball full, using only draw, and hit it hard enough that the balls scatter to your opponent's side and then back over to yours. The CB should end up somewhere on the end rail, leaving your opponent long with a small army in front of your pocket. Be careful when using it though; I've made 3 balls in my opponent's pocket hitting this one poorly!!! Good luck!

Mike H

10-14-2002, 06:13 PM
You are not hitting the break hard enough. Most average players break to soft.

eg8r
10-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Ken, I will help you out on Wednesday night. lol

I did knock in a ball the one time I broke, however you and the champ beat me up pretty good.

eg8r

EZMark
10-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Try cutting the head ball thin with high inside english the speed should such the cue ball stops between the second and third diamond on the long rail. Practice this break it will get the cheese. Thnx EZMark

Cueless Joey
10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
I think it's your rack that's not consistent.
I suggest a Sardo Rack. :-)

Troy
10-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Well Ken, the consensus is to slightly graze the head-ball with high inside english, leaving the CB on the long rail between about two diamonds up.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> (ssshhhh...be quiet. I don't want OnePocketChamp to hear us talking.

What is the best/most successful one-pocket break? My break needs help. I usually scratch. I'm hitting the second ball (right side of the rack), top-left english. If I don't scratch, I make the right corner ball in his hole.

Sometimes, I make a ball in my pocket but it's just not a consistent break.

Help!) <hr></blockquote>

smfsrca
10-15-2002, 12:26 AM
The classic break is high right english splitting the first and second balls.
Hear is how to aim this shot so you will nail it every time:
Place the cue ball 1 ro 1.5 balls off the rail just behind the line.
Use a rail bridge. Place the tip of the cue with 1 tip of inside english at about 1:30-2:00 (left side) or 10:00-10:30 (right side). Aim tip to split the first and second ball. Stroke smoothly with a speed that will leave the cue ball between the 2nd and 3rd diamonds froazen to the rail. On tables where the corner ball is rolling too close to your opponents pocket play to leave the cue ball at the second diamond, otherwise try to get it to the third diamond..

Paul_Mon
10-15-2002, 04:58 AM
I've attached the standard one pocket break below. I try to visualize the one ball being struck to go towards the first diamond as shown and the cue ball ends up at position A. That said this break sometimes dosen't work due to what type of balls are being used, how their waxed, etc. I move the break to the second ball and again try to cut it towards the side rail. I've seen guys so afraid of selling out on the break that they will use the standard 14.1 break only softer.

Regards....Paul Mon

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Ph3Z1%QU7Y4%WO9P9%X f9Y7%YI9D4
%ZN2N4%eC2`6
)END

10-15-2002, 05:39 AM
I've found that you must get the CB rolling. If it slides into the rack the corner ball always comes out towards your opponents pocket. I think this is because the CB sticks to the rack and tries to push through rather than glance off. Scratching is also a sign that the CB is not rolling but sliding into the rack and hitting the second ball to full.

Work on using a loose wrist and roll that ball into the rack slightly grazing the first ball. Some people suggest aiming for the crease (right were the first and second ball meet).

Fred Agnir
10-15-2002, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>What is the best/most successful one-pocket break? <hr></blockquote>

http://www.cues.com/break_shots1_0.html

Fred

Chris Cass
10-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi Ken,

Just to add to the fine job the people here have already did. The break is what I consider a lag stroke. Remember, the big thing about this game is being on the right side of the balls. If you can lag well, you have a good percentage of the game down. Next is moves. You have to learn to move.

Regards,

C.C.~~testing the 1 hole game out in Olathe, Ks. this weekend.

Jay M
10-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Just a quick note. I hit between the second and third balls with the same stroke as the standard break. I seem to make the corner ball in my pocket about 10% of the time and end up with a combo or carom in the rack that goes to my corner, just about every time.

Jay M

rackmup
10-15-2002, 02:36 PM
I believe I have been hitting the second ball "too full in the face".

I'm going to try the suggestion of grazing the head ball and also striking between the second and third balls.

Shhhh...don't tell OPC.

Regards,

Ken (has league tonight /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif)