PDA

View Full Version : Case game?

smfsrca
10-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Where did the term "case game" come from?

Rod
10-15-2002, 12:54 PM
probably from someone on their last barrel, it was his case game after that he is broke, no money, bankrupt, finished, washed up, kaput, out of here, well you know

SpiderMan
10-15-2002, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> probably from someone on their last barrel, it was his case game after that he is broke, no money, bankrupt, finished, washed up, kaput, out of here, well you know <hr></blockquote>

Maybe someone on the game AFTER their last barrel. He's now playing for the right to keep his case (and contents).

SpiderMan

phil in sofla
10-15-2002, 01:01 PM
I have no idea, but I do have a guess.

Ever notice how during that game, if someone's on the hill, once the break is over, the break cue is unscrewed and returned to its case?

Or, of course, once the deciding game is over, both players break down any cues remaining and return them to their case.

A stab in the dark, admittedly, but maybe...?

Now, sometimes,

BillPorter
10-15-2002, 01:25 PM
I believe the term "case game" refers to the last game for which you have the funds to wager. If you lose your "case game," you have to pack your suitcase and move on. It was a phrase originally used, I believe, by road players who would literally have to get their suitcases and hit the road if they lost that last game.

WaltVA
10-15-2002, 01:38 PM
I always heard it went back to Old Western faro games. The cards were dealt from a "shoe", or wooden case. Players bet on whether their card would beat the top card of the deck. After all bets were down and all players cards were dealt, the dealer would turn over the top card from the shoe. This "case" card was the last card of the hand and decided winners and losers.

The expression carried over into stud poker, where a player who gets the fourth king with three kings showing on the table is said to draw the last or "case" king.

By the same token, the last, deciding game is the "case" game.

Walt in VA

Rod
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
HA HA well I guess that's always possible, but the term case game refers to the winning player knows his opponent is out of doe and will have to quit when he loses. If he doesn't know then what you suggest might happen. Usually the winner just floats it, depending on the amount, of course one can assume they won't get the cash if they don't know the guy. Well that is if force is not an issue.