PDA

View Full Version : Heated Billiard table-any comments

Vagabond
10-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Howdy folks,
last weekend I was in Muskegon, Michigan in a room.They have one Billiard table kept electrically heated 24 hours.I like to hear from knowledgeble folks about the impact of this heat on the table besides causing increased speed and the reduced angle of reflection( rebound)when the ball hits the rail. cheers
vagabond

Jay M
10-15-2002, 01:07 PM
with clean billiard balls, they will also curve after each rebound. English has MUCH more effect on the shot. The table plays longer (as a rule). The english on the ball doesn't die off due to friction until the last couple of inches of roll, meaning that the speed has to be right if you are playing a 3 rail shot short to come from behind the second OB. Softer shots are easier to hit due to a combination of these things.

That's about it...

Jay M

Fred Agnir
10-15-2002, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy folks,
last weekend I was in Muskegon, Michigan in a room.They have one Billiard table kept electrically heated 24 hours.I like to hear from knowledgeble folks about the impact of this heat on the table besides causing increased speed and the reduced angle of reflection( rebound)when the ball hits the rail. cheers
vagabond <hr></blockquote>
I guess you're asking if it breaks down the table, cushion, cloth, or anything over time? I'm no expert, but since this is standard fare around the world, I'm guessing it's alright.

I had the opportunity to play on a heated billiard table in a private club. It took a bit for me to get used to (if ever) because the balls just never stopped. You could get 8 or more rails without hitting the ball hard. And the heat was, well, a little uncomfortable. Maybe the more upright billiard stance can take the heat better than my lower stance, which seemed to magnify the radiant heat.

Fred &lt;~~~ not a billiard player by any stretch of fantasy

Vagabond
10-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Howdy,
By the way I am not a Billiard player but I was curious about it.Thanks Fred and Jay.cheers
Vagabond

10-15-2002, 01:59 PM
I don't think it could harm the table. What I think it does is create a consistency from one table to another. Billiard players are fanatics for conditions. They like everything perfect. Could you imagine them playing in a bar. They would quit the game for good. actually, I think the randomness of tables, size, speed and so forth, adds to the fun of the game. I don't want to play in a controlled vacuum. I like the idea of having to get used to a table. I am of course referring more to pool. I think if you took most of what you may consider good local players on the road they would have a lot of trouble. It is an aspect of the game they are not used to. They like to play their favorite game, on their favorite table, by their rules. They might be surprised to find they are not the players they may think they are.

10-15-2002, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> I don't think it could harm the table. What I think it does is create a consistency from one table to another. Billiard players are fanatics for conditions. They like everything perfect. Could you imagine them playing in a bar. They would quit the game for good. actually, I think the randomness of tables, size, speed and so forth, adds to the fun of the game. I don't want to play in a controlled vacuum. I like the idea of having to get used to a table. I am of course referring more to pool. I think if you took most of what you may consider good local players on the road they would have a lot of trouble. It is an aspect of the game they are not used to. They like to play their favorite game, on their favorite table, by their rules. They might be surprised to find they are not the players they may think they are. <hr></blockquote>

you just gotta like someone who quotes bucky fuller for a tag line.

dan...i don't remember, did he write trout fishing during the years he refused to speak??