PDA

View Full Version : Is this the SLOWEST website on the internet ???

Doomsday Machine
10-15-2002, 07:19 PM
I am not sure what kind of technical difficulties the CCB is having, but this is ridiculous !! Going from one section to another takes FOREVER !! It is getting very frustrating and I usually enjoy reading and participating in this forum, but I shouldn't be able to go to fix a sandwich in the kitchen in the time it takes to switch from one section to the next.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-15-2002, 07:22 PM
If you are using dial-up connections.. that is a bummer of a time lag.. but I have cable modem.. and CCB just timed-out.. could not reach server..

I think we are getting our money's worth..

9 Ball Girl
10-15-2002, 07:28 PM
I have DSL. You went to make a sandwich? I went and took a shower, then I made some baked mac & cheese! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Doomsday Machine
10-15-2002, 07:29 PM
I also have cable modem and I usually can go from page to page with virtually no lag between. This is the ONLY webpage where I am having this slowness.

Doomsday Machine
10-15-2002, 07:31 PM
And to think I had it bad !!! Don't like mac & cheese anyway, reminds me too much of high school cafeteria food !

9 Ball Girl
10-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Well what can I say? I'm a gal that lives alone. I could've had Fruity Pebbles for dinner instead! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Wendy.. thanks a lot for the visual..

Sloow is good for some things.. but not Internet connections

Voodoo Daddy
10-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Fruity what? HAHAHAHAHA...No Cap'n Crunch? <Voodoo feels sorry for Wendy>.

Rod
10-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Wendy, I think the macroni was a better choice. Fruity Pebbles LOL

ccboard_admin_back
10-16-2002, 06:42 AM
You can change your view from threaded to flat and then also change the default view from all to something like active message in last 2 weeks.

These settings are under my home, click on edit next to Display preferences when you are logged in. If you have any further problems or questions please let me know

rackmup
10-16-2002, 06:59 AM
HEY! You and I know there's NOTHING wrong with a huge bowl of warm, bubbly Mac-n-Cheese!

Give this one a try:

Five Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

16 ounces elbow macaroni
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
1 cup Monterey jack cheese -- grated
1/2 cup gruyere cheese -- shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
2 ounces goat cheese -- crumbled
1 ounce prosciutto -- chopped
1/4 cup tarragon, chopped or 1/4 cup basil, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch baking pan. Bring 6 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Lightly salt the water, then cook pasta according to package directions.

When pasta loses its raw texture but is still slightly firm, remove from heat, drain, rinse under cold water, then drain again. Transfer pasta to a large bowl.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and white pepper. Beat with a whisk until well-blended, then stir liquid into pasta. Set aside 1/3 cup of the cheddar, then add all other ingredients to pasta and gently stir until evenly combined. Fill baking pan with pasta. Sprinkle on remaining cheddar. If the dish is made more than 1 hour before serving, refrigerate. (All advance preparation steps may be completed up to 8 hours before you begin final cooking).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place baking pan in preheated oven about 4 inches below broiler, and bake uncovered until pasta is thoroughly reheated and cheese sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Turn oven setting to "broil" and cook until top is golden, about 5 minutes. Give rackmup an invite for dinner and serve while hot!

Regards,

Ken (The "Emeril" of his poolroom)

Wally_in_Cincy
10-16-2002, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doomsday Machine:</font><hr> I am not sure what kind of technical difficulties the CCB is having, but this is ridiculous !! Going from one section to another takes FOREVER !! It is getting very frustrating and I usually enjoy reading and participating in this forum, but I shouldn't be able to go to fix a sandwich in the kitchen in the time it takes to switch from one section to the next. <hr></blockquote>

I'm expecting some of our gurus to respond to this hopefully.

I think if you're on cable and there's a lot of people online in your neighborhood your speed suffers. I think /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

The graphics on this site slow it down a lot. I liked the old format better in that regard.

Kato
10-16-2002, 08:24 AM
My recipie for Fruity Pebbles. Take 1 box of Fruity Pebbles, 1 Gallon of Milk, 1 huge bucket, mix.

Don't tell me I'm not a culinary wizard.

Kato~~~The teacher of Rackmup

SPetty
10-16-2002, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ccboard_admin:</font><hr> You can change your view from threaded to flat and then also change the default view from all to something like active message in last 2 weeks. <hr></blockquote>These are good suggestions. I visit often enough that I just view active in the past 2 days.

There is also a setting where you set how many posts per page you want to see. In flat mode, the smaller that is, the quicker the page loads. (Learned that the hard way.) I finally settled on 20 as a good number.

There is also a setting on whether to see the poster id info on the left side or at the top of the messages. I think that at the top loads quicker, because it doesn't pick up all those extra pictures that people put with their names (although you may miss some fun pics...)

MikeM
10-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Sounds good Ken,

Justin Wilson's variation would leave out the gruyere and goat cheese, the tarragon/basil and prosciuto and substitute 1/2 tsp (at least) powdered Cayenne pepper and three types of sausage - the hard kind you get in a deli, eg. beef summer sausage, hard salami and spicy beef sausage. Absolutley delicious!

MM

phil in sofla
10-16-2002, 04:09 PM
I have one setup that is only 2 hardware generations back, and one that is about 5 generations back (80 MHz PPC), both with dialup connections. I really have no complaints with the faster of my slow connections on this site, but with the dog system, it's painful.

If for any reason my cookies are disrupted (crash, requiring a hot reboot), and the forum doesn't recognize me automatically and give me the flat threads display, often I can't load the entire expanded first page, period.

For that situation, I have bookmarked the log in page, which I can always load quickly, establish my user name in effect with the flat thread preference, and load it in that way.

One other trick: I always open threads 'in another window.' That way, when I'm through with that thread, I simply close the front window, and I have the previous thread listings already entirely loaded and ready to go in the underlying window.

However, to be fair, on the faster slow system, hitting the 'back' button gives me the previous page instantaneously out of the cached version copy. You might want to take a look at your cache handling if it takes a long time to get back to where you've been.