PDA

View Full Version : A safe shot

Rod
10-16-2002, 12:35 AM
My friend asks me about a shot and how to play it safe. He said I can't make the ball and a safe is tough. Well he was right either way. I cut it in first and only time but under the gun it's not so simple. He said he might make it 1 out of 20. Well you have to know what your capable of and approach it with what you know. I shot it two other ways with good results without making the ball. How would you shoot this shot? Here is one way that worked well. The 9 is frozen. I played a double kiss at med slow speed, the nine moved two or 3" to the right and was left about 1 1/2" off the rail with the cue ball at the other end about 1 1/2" off the end rail.This is not my favorite way, BTW, but I'd take the results any day.
START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%WF0R8%Xr2P5%eC3`5

)END

10-16-2002, 01:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> My friend asks me about a shot and how to play it safe. He said I can't make the ball and a safe is tough. Well he was right either way. I cut it in first and only time but under the gun it's not so simple. He said he might make it 1 out of 20. Well you have to know what your capable of and approach it with what you know. I shot it two other ways with good results without making the ball. How would you shoot this shot? Here is one way that worked well. The 9 is frozen. I played a double kiss at med slow speed, the nine moved two or 3" to the right and was left about 1 1/2" off the rail with the cue ball at the other end about 1 1/2" off the end rail.This is not my favorite way, BTW, but I'd take the results any day.
START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%WF0R8%Xr2P5%eC3`5

)END <hr></blockquote>

If it were sitting ON the rail, I would play the "impossible cut shot" into the right corner, and try to send the cueball two rails to kick it in if it misses, or lay right next to it if it goes off the pocket corner and back onto the short rail a hair.

START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%WD8S8%Xg5V0%YG2C9%Zr8I5%[C6C9%\C6Q1%]r4I6%^C6S4
%eC6`9
)END

I don't know why, but I practice this shot, and it's my best chance of winning, IMO.. even though I only make it maybe 3 times out of 10. (30% is better than giving the guy an easy out). If it wasn't right on the rail, I'd just try to bank it back at me in the corner, with just enough cueball speed to set it on the short rail, in case the ball banks either long or short, it'll most likely, but not always, be in a tough spot..

START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%Qs1[3%WE6R2%Xg5V0%YV6D5%ZC2P2%[r2Q4%\W6D1%]q7Z4
%^D5R5%eC3`5
)END

But other things depend, like how competent the player is, and how I'm feeling.

smfsrca
10-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Try this:
Bank the ball toward the side pocket.
Use high right english to hold the cue ball near the foot at position 'A'.
If it goes you win.
If it misses below or above the pocket you come up safe with the 9 ball near the center of the head rail.
Where you get into trouble is when it hits the side pocket point. Then it is up to the pool fairies.
Good Luck

START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%QD5W3%WE0R8%Xh1U6%YX7D0%ZD0Q8%[r7O3%\Y6C3%eC3`5

)END

10-16-2002, 12:46 PM
If you're not on the rail, hit the ball full, with draw, no english. The OB will stay on the rail while the CB bounces back to the rail you hit it from.

If you can't draw it, bank the OB to the side rail, 0.5 diamond from the middle pocket, and leave the CB on the opposite rail.

Or, if you're really confident with thin hits, barely clip the left side of the OB, bringing the CB back up table.

Rod
10-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Yes I like that shot too, but the guy I was showing the shot has a hard time with spin at a distance. That's why I told him to rely on what he thought was within his limits. He just hits the ball soft sending it to the side rail hoping he doesn't leave a makeable bank. I give him another way that he handled a lot better. Personally I kind of like this shot to but you are giving up a shot, difficult but still a shot.The problem is he will shoot it a few times and give up, to which I wondered why I even bothered.START(
%IC9S4%Ph6V2%Qr0E9%UR0I8%VO8D3%WD3U2%Xh1U6%YN0D9%Z E3S0%[r7O3
%\Y6C3%]I0Z4%^D9U0%eA4b4%_m1D4%`X5Q9%aJ3Z9
)END

10-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Rod
You might have him try this one although it probobly isn't any easier than the others.
Tell him to hit it thin on the right side and smoke it.
I call this this "Around the World".
The 9 ball travels all the away around back to the center of the foot rail.
Drawing the cue ball will leave it the cue ball somewhere in the kithcen.

START(
%IC9S4%Ph6V2%Qm9L5%UY7D4%Vs0X2%WE4S1%Xh1U6%Yr4X7%Z j5[3%[D2N0
%\Y6C3%]i7[2%^D3S8%eA4b4
)END

Sid_Vicious
10-16-2002, 03:13 PM
That's the fundamental "you have to learn this shot" which Kinnister drills on one of his tapes. You thin the 9 on the left side(asking for someone to watch the hit, cuz done right that sucker only jiggles), sending whitie back to the opposite rail. There's actually a lot of lee-way in this shot, depending of course that you don't sell out and completely miss the hit. It is a nice weapon to have, and it does come up far too often...sid~~~would most likely back cut it in the corner though or spin it into the right corner

stickman
10-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Personally, I'd feel more confident going for it. I'd bank it into the right corner pocket with a little high left english. Not an easy shot, but playing safe would be more difficult for me than pocketing it.

Rod
10-16-2002, 07:48 PM
Jim, that's what I was telling him, if the safe is as hard [for him] as the shot might as well shoot the shot. I did shoot that bank with right english and hung it in the right corner both times, can't imagine using left. I'd either play my safe or just cut the ball in. We all have to shoot what were comfortable with playing.

NH_Steve
10-16-2002, 07:53 PM
I might try banking it back towards the near corner (pocket A) using high inside english. The high inside actually brings the cue ball back to the end rail, giving you a chance at leaving a tough shot in the event that you miss the bank. The bank back towards you is better than the other corner 'cuz a thinnner hit helps avoid the kiss. About a half ball hit is ideal. (Bugs Rucker likes this bank I understand)

START(
%IC7R2%Ph6V2%Qs4[4%UC7P1%VD4Q5%Wq7Z6%XD5R4%eA7`3%_F5D7%`E9I9
%aC4N9%bC5N1%cE0I2%dF5C4
)END

Rod
10-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Kinnister might have done that well but how many tries? Those tapes have to be edited. Sid my point to the guy was, what ever you do, do not miss the ball. Those thin hits are great for people that can see well. This guy can see, his stroke is just a little crooked. BTW Kinnister shoots on a bar box, even I can thin the ball well at a shorter distance. Well I think I can.