PDA

View Full Version : BIH foul rule; if you drop the cue ball, but...

10-16-2002, 08:31 AM
I understand that if I disturb (touch) an object ball while placing the cue ball with ball-in-hand, that is a foul.

I assume that there is no foul if:
1) I drop the cue ball onto the floor
2) I drop the cue ball onto the table bed, but it touches nothing

I assume that there is a foul if:
3) I drop the cue ball onto the table, and it touches an object ball, or
4) I drop the cue ball into a pocket (scratch?)

What I am wondering is what is the call in the following scenario:

5) My opponent, after fouling, picks up the cue ball and offers it to me (conceding that he fouled) and in accepting the cue ball in my outstretched hand, I fail to grip it securely, and 3) or 4) above occurs.

Have I fouled?

(The reason I am asking this is) I play in Japan, and as a gesture of respect to the other player, when a player has committed a foul, he USUALLY hands the cue to his opponent. In fact there is often a rush to grab the cue ball in order to hand it over, while mutual apologies are exchanged (sorry for fouling, sorry for obligating you retrieve the cue ball, etc.)

I'm not comfortable with all this, and sometimes just gesture toward the table bed to suggest he place the cue ball on the table, rather than have to hold it. I always feel pressured to accept the offerred ball, and frequently envision dropping it.

If I did drop it (onto an object ball, or into a pocket) have I fouled?

Thanks in advance, Isshi
~~drops things sometimes

Kato
10-16-2002, 08:37 AM
I don't know if there is a rule on this, I'm sure one of our BCA guru's will come with the correct answer. I wouldn't think so though.

Kato

Paul_Mon
10-16-2002, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Isshi:</font><hr>
I assume that there is a foul if:
3) I drop the cue ball onto the table, and it touches an object ball, or
4) I drop the cue ball into a pocket (scratch?)

Isshi-san,
I don't think that dropping the cue ball in a pocket would be considered a foul. Dropping the ball onto the table bed and touching another ball would indeed be a foul. Unless your opponet tosses the cueball to you it is your responsibility to maintain control of the cueball. This would IMO include handing the cueball to you. My suggestion is to accept the cueball being handed to you but position yourself so that you accept the ball away from the table bed. It is not a foul to drop the cueball onto the floor or any other surface as long as object balls on your table are not moved.

Best regards
Paul Mon

10-16-2002, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Dropping the ball onto the table bed and touching another ball would indeed be a foul. Best regards
Paul Mon <hr></blockquote>

paul, which rule are you using to call the foul?

my best was 3.22 "foul by placement". is says. "touching any object ball with the cue ball while it is in hand is a foul."

i'm advised by bca national ref that, if you are picking up the cue ball and the cue ball touches an object ball then it is not a foul since you are not "placing" the ball, you are removing it. is a falling ball "in hand"? also, you are not "placing" the ball if you are receiving it.

?????????

dan

Rod
10-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Dan, you'd make a good politician! LOL

10-16-2002, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Dan, you'd make a good politician! LOL <hr></blockquote>

got the t-shirt.

dan...dozens of 'em.

10-16-2002, 12:42 PM
Stand far enough away from the table that when your opponent hands you the cue ball, your outstretched hand isn't over the table.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-16-2002, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>
i'm advised by bca national ref that, if you are picking up the cue ball and the cue ball touches an object ball then it is not a foul since you are not "placing" the ball, you are removing it. <hr></blockquote>

If it's that close let your opponent pick it up, or the ref, or a neutral third party.