PDA

View Full Version : Cue Balls!!!!!

Lester
10-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Okay, I've been playing for a long time using the "red dot" cue ball. Consequently, my methods of moving around the table in alot of situations require draw. However, here of late I have played in several new locations that use the "blue dot" or "blue circle" cue ball. This ball seems a little heavier to me. Now granted, it's not like the "bowling ball" you find on bar boxes, but it's heavier than the red dot. I find that the blue circle cue ball is more conducive to follow or High english than to draw. Since drawing doesn't work as well, I have to adjust my "run out road map" to rely on follow. I seem to be having a problem converting to this method - on the fly, in the middle of a match. Has anyone else come across this? ***Lester***

Wally_in_Cincy
10-16-2002, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> Okay, I've been playing for a long time using the "red dot" cue ball. Consequently, my methods of moving around the table in alot of situations require draw. However, here of late I have played in several new locations that use the "blue dot" or "blue circle" cue ball. This ball seems a little heavier to me. Now granted, it's not like the "bowling ball" you find on bar boxes, but it's heavier than the red dot. I find that the blue circle cue ball is more conducive to follow or High english than to draw. Since drawing doesn't work as well, I have to adjust my "run out road map" to rely on follow. I seem to be having a problem converting to this method - on the fly, in the middle of a match. Has anyone else come across this? ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

Ahh the joys of the game, adapting to new conditions. Just be glad you don't have to adapt to barbox cueballs. I played 6 games on the "practice" table Monday with a cueball about the weight of an anvil. Then on the "match" table the cueball was much lighter. It was like a nightmare. Damn I hate looking like a fool. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Kato
10-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Yes!!!!!!! We play with Red Dots in South Florida to. When I was playing with you guys in Virginia I had a bear of a time drawing the blue dot.

Kato

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 10:41 AM
This may seem very basic, and probably is, but, make sure you are hitting as low on the cue ball as you think you are. I was shown, by Scott Lee, that I don't always hit as low as I thought. He said it is very common. If you hit low on a blue circle, with a good stroke, it will come back at you. Believe me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

Rod
10-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Lester, I believe you mean Red Circle, is that correct? The Red Dot is a bar box ball that is nearly 1/2 oz heavier than the red or blue circle. The blue circle is the c/b that comes with the Centenial ball set. The blue is a little heavier approx 3 to maybe 4 grams over the red. Not much but it does make a little difference. Long distance draw shots might be a little harder. If it really is a problem just treat it with respect as you would a heavy bar box cue ball. Either that or "chant" "this ain't a heavy ball", it's mind over matter, a matter of 3 grams/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Since the weight of any cue ball varies depending on how "used" it is you never really know what your playing with. There is also the matter of the object ball weight, if their worn out that can make any new or newer cue ball seem heavy. Ya just never know. But I got an Idea, play with the red dot for a while and that will make any c/b seem light. LOL just kidding.

Lester
10-16-2002, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> This may seem very basic, and probably is, but, make sure you are hitting as low on the cue ball as you think you are. I was shown, by Scott Lee, that I don't always hit as low as I thought. He said it is very common. If you hit low on a blue circle, with a good stroke, it will come back at you. Believe me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rich, I've got no problem drawing the blue dot, but it seems harder to control. You know I draw three rails and I'm missing position by centimeters. The same happens with follow, either a little too much or a little not enough. Hard to get a handle on it. ***Lester***

Fred Agnir
10-16-2002, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> Okay, I've been playing for a long time using the "red dot" cue ball. Consequently, my methods of moving around the table in alot of situations require draw. However, here of late I have played in several new locations that use the "blue dot" or "blue circle" cue ball. This ball seems a little heavier to me. Now granted, it's not like the "bowling ball" you find on bar boxes, but it's heavier than the red dot. I find that the blue circle cue ball is more conducive to follow or High english than to draw. Since drawing doesn't work as well, I have to adjust my "run out road map" to rely on follow. I seem to be having a problem converting to this method - on the fly, in the middle of a match. Has anyone else come across this? ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>
The Red Circle Champion ball is made to be slightly lighter than the object balls. The Blue Circle Centennial cueball is made to be the same weight as the object balls. So, for draw for example, the same off-set and speed will absolutely yield different results. Same goes for stun shots and follow. Different results will occur.

If your muscle memory is tuned to the Red Circle, then you *should* expect some adjustment period if you switch to the Blue Circle. Again, as an example, for draw, to get the same results you'll need to either hit a little lower or a little harder on the Blue Circle.

Fred

Lester
10-16-2002, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Lester, I believe you mean Red Circle, is that correct? The Red Dot is a bar box ball that is nearly 1/2 oz heavier than the red or blue circle. The blue circle is the c/b that comes with the Centenial ball set. The blue is a little heavier approx 3 to maybe 4 grams over the red. Not much but it does make a little difference. Long distance draw shots might be a little harder. If it really is a problem just treat it with respect as you would a heavy bar box cue ball. Either that or "chant" "this ain't a heavy ball", it's mind over matter, a matter of 3 grams/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Since the weight of any cue ball varies depending on how "used" it is you never really know what your playing with. There is also the matter of the object ball weight, if their worn out that can make any new or newer cue ball seem heavy. Ya just never know. But I got an Idea, play with the red dot for a while and that will make any c/b seem light. LOL just kidding. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rod, rest assured I was "chanting" everytime I left myself hooked, although it wasn't quite the chant you suggest. Red dot, Red Circle, Blue Dot, Blue Circle thanks for the update, you know I never really took exception, I mean I noticed the different dots/circles. But until I started having positioning problems, it's just because I've been playing for the last couple years with this red circle ball. ***Lester***

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rich R.:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; This may seem very basic, and probably is, but, make sure you are hitting as low on the cue ball as you think you are. I was shown, by Scott Lee, that I don't always hit as low as I thought. He said it is very common. If you hit low on a blue circle, with a good stroke, it will come back at you. Believe me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rich, I've got no problem drawing the blue dot, but it seems harder to control. You know I draw three rails and I'm missing position by centimeters. The same happens with follow, either a little too much or a little not enough. Hard to get a handle on it. ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>
Lester, if you are drawing any cue ball three rails and missing position only by a few centimeters, you have no problems.
Quickly, turn pro, do not pass go, collect your $200 later.
Rich R.~~~wants to play like Lester.

MikeM
10-16-2002, 11:38 AM
It's that Scruggs you're using. You need to get rid of it immediately. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you!

MM

Rod
10-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Rich, Well either that or Lester could talk to Patrick about centimeter position!!! ha ha ha ha ha

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> It's that Scruggs you're using. You need to get rid of it immediately. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you!

MM <hr></blockquote>
That's funny, my Scruggs doesn't work that well. I must have a defective model.
Rich R.~~~going to talk to Timmy as soon as I leave work. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Lester
10-16-2002, 11:51 AM
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
Lester, if you are drawing any cue ball three rails and missing position only by a few centimeters, you have no problems.
Quickly, turn pro, do not pass go, collect your $200 later.
Rich R.~~~wants to play like Lester. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Okay guys, let me clarify. Necessity dictated that I draw the cue ball three rails. My target for position was about a 14 inch "window" between two object balls. I overran this by about a quarter of an inch, making me hooked on one of the object balls. This was the most blatant example of the frustration I felt. There were other examples as well including follow shots, but the draw shots stuck out the most. Fred mentioned that "memory muscle" thing which is exactly what I'm trying to express. And Rod, to include me in the same calibre as Patrick (the supreme alien) is really &lt;APPRECIATED&gt;.;-( ***Lester***

MikeM
10-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Send me yours too!

MM...just trying to help

Lester
10-16-2002, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Send me yours too!

MM...just trying to help
<hr></blockquote>HEY, HEY, NOBODY BETTER TOUCH MY SCRUGGS. ***Lester***

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Send me yours too!

MM...just trying to help
<hr></blockquote>
You are just too generous Mike. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
I really don't want to take advantage of your good nature.
I will talk to Timmy about my problem cue stick. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

MikeM
10-16-2002, 12:02 PM
OK, tell HIM to send me any cues that are causing drawing problems!

MM

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> I overran this by about a quarter of an inch <hr></blockquote>
I think you just made my point.
Patrick, we have some competition for you!!!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.

Rich R.
10-16-2002, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> OK, tell HIM to send me any cues that are causing drawing problems!

MM <hr></blockquote>
I'll be sure to tell him.
Rich R.

Rod
10-16-2002, 12:22 PM
HA HA HA Lester I figured you could take a joke, sorry if I hit below the belt a tad. Look at it like this you could have been using the red and drew it 4 centimeters farther and still be hooked. I know what you mean though it's just down right frustrating when you get that close after a good stroke.

~~~ rod needs to stay above the belt

Kato
10-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Rich, it just takes some getting used to. The more I played the better I did with it. It's all stroke. Just a little different. I was convinced I'd play and not change my game at all. I'm stubborn like that.

Kato

Kato
10-16-2002, 01:11 PM
Mike, it seems to me if you get Lesters Scruggs that you'd have to many cues for your case. I'll take that Cory Duel Viking off your hands for far less than market value. Hey, we're buddies, it's cool.

Kato

rackmup
10-16-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm told by OnePocketChamp that the "blue circle" cb is heavier than the "red circle" but not as heavy as the "blue dot". I'm not certain where the "Aramith" cb falls into this battle but that's what we have been playing with at Billy Weir's.
If you ask Chris (the Day Manager) at Click's /Arlington, he'll tell you that they're all the same weight. Of course, for a long time, Chris thought "asphalt" was a form of "rectal dysfunction" so his credibility is questionable.

Regards,

Ken (prefers to play with a yellowed oversized bar box mud ball cue ball)

Fred Agnir
10-16-2002, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I'm told by OnePocketChamp that the "blue circle" cb is heavier than the "red circle" but not as heavy as the "blue dot". I'm not certain where the "Aramith" cb falls into this battle but that's what we have been playing with at Billy Weir's.
<hr></blockquote>

The Red Circle Champion is an Aramith product. The Red Triangle and the Red Aramith (who knows what it's called) ball are supposedly the same weight as the Object Balls. The Red Triangle was the previous version that came with the Super Pros. I think new Super Pros come with a Red Aramith logo. The TV Super Pros Aramiths come with the Red ARamith Logo cueball, for sure. All available through the venerable Mueller's. I hope everyone received their new catalog this week.

The only Blue Dot that I know of is the older Brunswick Centennial balls' cueball. The one I have is pretty old, and it's definitely lighter. That could be because it's worn down.

Fred &lt;~~~ long day, worn down

10-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi Fred,

I second you on this. This is exactly what I found with the Red Circle and Blue Circle respectively. What I find strange, however, is how many places used the Red Circle. Why have a cueball that is lighter than the object balls? So you can draw it farther? This is not to brag, but I have no trouble drawing the Blue Circle a goodly distance even with five to six diamonds between it and the object ball.

It seems to me that a cueball the same weight as the object balls is best because then the right angle rule holds true - as true as you can get for collisions that are not perfectly elastic - for stun or stops shots. Although, I have to say a lighter cueball is certainly more desirable than the shot put used on some bar tables.

Best regards,
Bob

10-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Wally,

I understand new Olympic rules call for replacing the shot put with a bar-box cueball so they can make the area on the field dramatically smaller and get in the newest accepted sport, synchronized pool cue twirling and tossing. I heard Tom Cruise is trying out for the American team. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bob

Rich R.
10-17-2002, 04:18 AM
Kato, your right, it is just a matter of getting use to it. As Rod said, the red circle is lighter and will move more after contact with the heavier balls. The blue circle may just take a slightly harder stroke to do the same.
IMHO, the cue ball should be the same weight as the other balls. It seems to me that it makes for a fairer test of skill. I'm sure it would not take any of us too long to adapt, either way.
Rich R.

Lester
10-17-2002, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lester:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I overran this by about a quarter of an inch &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
I think you just made my point.
Patrick, we have some competition for you!!!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rich, tell him to "bring-it". I'll show him a "close encounter of the third kind". lol ***Lester***

MikeM
10-17-2002, 08:59 AM
Sounds good. If I get Lester's Scrugs and Rich's Scruggs and a couple from "Timmy" himself, I'll make you a great deal on the Corey cue.

MM...always willing to help a brother out! (as long as there's something in it for me)

Lester
10-17-2002, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Sounds good. If I get Lester's Scrugs and Rich's Scruggs and a couple from "Timmy" himself, I'll make you a great deal on the Corey cue.

MM...always willing to help a brother out! (as long as there's something in it for me) <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Mike, the only way you get MY Scruggs is if you pry it from my cold dead fingers. lol ***Lester***

Rich R.
10-17-2002, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> Mike, the only way you get MY Scruggs is if you pry it from my cold dead fingers. lol ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>
Lester, be careful what you wish for, it can always be arranged.
I like my Scruggs, but there is a limit. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.