PDA

View Full Version : Jump Rule.. Anybody heard this one?

ObeOne
10-16-2002, 05:38 PM
The other day at the pool hall, I made a jump shot playing 9 ball using the 'dart stroke' method. My opponent called foul, and said that you must use an underhand stroke when shooting jump shots. The sad part is, about 4 other people in the PH backed him up, so he got ball-in-hand. Have any of you heard this rule?

stickman
10-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Nope, never heard that one. Local bar rules maybe?

Drake
10-16-2002, 06:20 PM
I believe you can use any method you want as long as you are using a legal jump stick......hardly nobody allows shaft jumping.

Chris Cass
10-16-2002, 08:40 PM
That my friend is total BS. True some local bar leagues voted in a rule allowing jump shots but you can't break the shoulder to make it legal. Basically the jump 1/8" of a ball. The Dart stroke doesn't do this but they'll argue the stick is elevated too high.

You've been taken in my friend. Tell these know it alls to prove it. Show you the rule. This is one reason why I have contempt for these bar leagues.

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
10-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Riddle me this:

Let's say you need to use the bridge to reach a long shot and you hold your cue the same way you hold the JC dart style...is that also a foul according to these country bumpkins?

Ken

Brent
10-17-2002, 01:36 AM
A bit offtopic: What kinda jump-shot is leagal and whutkinda is not ? PLz dont use ur billiard language because I dont understand it very well /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif Thnx

Brent...who else

CarolNYC
10-17-2002, 03:48 AM
Gettum Chris:)
Carol~never,ever heard of that rule!

10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
It doesn't matter whether your talking about bars, league play, pool halls or tournament competition. It's symptomatic of ignorance of the rules and the common practice of confusing and blending local bar policy, with local league rules, with BCA rules in order to make a call that suites their purpose at the moment. The worst are the players that know better and do it on intentionaly. And by the way, this behavior is NOT limited to tavern and league players; as was suggested!

phil in sofla
10-17-2002, 05:00 PM
To make a legal jump shot, you must be jacked up in the back, aiming down on the cue ball, and then striking downwards into the cue ball. The illegal attempt is when you address the ball low, and kind of scoop it up with a variation of the horrible miscue you may sometimes experience when you're hitting low on the ball.