PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/smoothing your cue, the BEST way

10-17-2002, 06:23 AM
Please, is there a really simple way to just make your cue nice and smooth? I am from the UK and therefore do not have much knowledge about pool cues, only snooker cues.

Sanding is not the answer, are there any sort of fluids/liquids which can be used to smooth the cue down?

Any response will be great

Pizza Bob
10-17-2002, 07:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, most high quality snooker cues have a linseed oil finish on the whole cue (butt and shaft), which may preclude the use of any of the liquid type "shaft slickers" (Cue Silk springs to mind - Q smooth, also) that would be used on a pool cue shaft that is essentially unfinished. You might try just burnishing the shaft with a piece of leather and as a last alternative, you may want to try using a glove - even with the open bridge this is a vast improvement once you get past the joking at your expense. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <~~~~~~loves to play snooker on 6' x 12' tables

10-17-2002, 07:13 AM
I just bought a snooker cue off of ebay and the shaft ( made of ash wood) seems to have a hard finish on it...even though it is smooth...it does not stroke smoothly through my bridge (or on my bridge hand)...I would like to know how to change this without hurting the shaft...I have returned to playing with the snooker shaft I bought from Ray Shuler a year ago which is maple does not stick to my bridge hand when stroking...

I wish I could answer your question but I seem to be in a pickle myself...

Uncle Ron in SC

Eric.
10-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Silicone Spray. It is smooth as a, well, smooth and it seal out moisture. You can buy it in any auto parts store.

Remove any hard finish carefully. Sand lightly and finish with a ScotchBrite pad. Then take the can of Silicon Spray, spray the shaft til it's saturated. Wait 10 minutes. Spray again and sand with 1000 grit paper. Spray again, buff with a paper towel. Once this is done, you only need to "touch up" the shaft before you play (light spray, wipe with paper towel).

I've used this for the past 12 years on all my cues, never a problem. Also, if you're in a tight match and the stick gets "sticky", wipe with a damp napkin and it will get you thru the match.

Eric

Cueless Joey
10-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Use Dr. Z shaft pack. You can get one at cuesforless.com

Paul_Mon
10-17-2002, 09:40 AM
I've tried many different non-abrasive cleaners, as I'm also firm believer in not sanding. Over the years I've used Isopropyl Alcohol (90%), denatured alcohol, Toluene and plain water. About 1- years ago this thread started and someone mentioned using liquid lighter fluid, which is really just naphtha. It works well dries quick and is readily available. After cleaning I burnish with a piece of leather and waxed paper. Until something better comes along this is what I'm sticking with. If your cue is not dirty and still not smooth it may have too many nicks and scratches that would require refinnishing with abrasives.

Paul Mon

Pizza Bob
10-17-2002, 11:19 AM
A little caution must be exercised here. As I said in my first post, some high quality snooker cues use a linseed oil finish. I have two Parris cues that are finished like this. We are all used to the polyurethanes or UV activated finishes, which are practically bullet-proof, found on pool cues in this country. Naptha is a solvent and to put a solvent on a shaft with a "soft" oil finish would be begging for trouble. If your cue is "hard" finished, then most of the suggestions found here should work - but if it has an oil finish, burnishing is probably the best.

Adios,

Pizza Bob