PDA

View Full Version : Chalking A Jumper, Yes Or No ?

10-17-2002, 09:00 AM
I'd like the opinions, personal and fundamentally founded concerning chalking the jumper. I have read and been told my several people that you should only have chalk on a jumper if you are wanting to put follow, draw or spin on the CB, but otherwise it is best to shoot w/o chalk on straight hops. Opinions y'all???sid

stickman
10-17-2002, 09:15 AM
I chalk mine. I was having problems miscueing and had to rough up my tip a little to get it to hold chalk better. The miscues went away after I did. I'm still pretty much a beginner though, when it comes to jumping.

Lester
10-17-2002, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I'd like the opinions, personal and fundamentally founded concerning chalking the jumper. I have read and been told my several people that you should only have chalk on a jumper if you are wanting to put follow, draw or spin on the CB, but otherwise it is best to shoot w/o chalk on straight hops. Opinions y'all???sid <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Okay, I chalk my jumper before I shoot but that's out of habit. A friend who is an "excellent" jumper says the tip has to "slip" off the cue ball to allow the cue ball to leave the table. I've seen him take his regular stick, wipe the tip on the carpet and make the jump shot. The new phrenolic &lt;sp&gt; tips on jumpers won't really hold chalk anyway. JMHO ***Lester~not a real jumper, but stayed in an airborne barracks once.

10-17-2002, 10:04 AM
I don't believe that it is ever beneficial to mis-cue, so I chalk my cue before every shot - regardless of what type of shot it is.

Rod
10-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Hum Watson, after reading Jump Dumb might I sugest using lots of chalk!

~~ Sherlock thinks Watson needs a little tweaking, my fundamentally founded answer, um or personal

Rod
10-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Sherlock thinks Joe might be on to something here!

10-17-2002, 10:58 AM
You want the tip and shaft to rebound off the object ball as quickly as possible in order for them to get out of the way as the ball comes off the slate. That's why using a shaft is easier than using a full cue, or a jump cue works better than a full cue; because they are lighter in weight and rebound more quickly. The dart stroke is preferable because it allows the shaft to bounce off the cueball. Many missed jumps are the result of grasping the stick so that it cannot rebound and the ball can't get airborne becase the stick is still in the way causing a double hit. Chalk would cause more friction and might keep the tip in contact with the ball slightly longer reducing the effectiveness of the shot. On the other hand, once you move away from a centerball hit on your jump shot you're increasing the odds of a miscue, in which case chalk would be an asset. I never put sidespin on a jump shot, though I will put draw and follow.

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2002, 11:36 AM
"says the tip has to "slip" off the cue ball to allow the cue ball to leave the table."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
That's more in line with my past instructional hints on jumping, and I also feel that break shots rely on pure hits, hence chalk is realy not needed there as well(to clarify, I do NOT get more than a tip off center for breaks.) You'll never see me chalk for a break shot and I've learned not to miscue any more or less then the next guy, in fact I'd say that less than most whom I play around. Having said that, I'll lean toward(and begin to practice) hitting straight jumps w/o chalk on purpose while practicing at home. If excellent jumpers do it, I'll me dam#ned if I won't too. To master with no chalk should make the jump stroke well engrained. Bty I also have the phenolic tip on this cue...yes it is quite slippery with the chalk.

Thanks all for the feedback...sid

SpiderMan
10-17-2002, 11:42 AM
I believe that the jump shot primarily depends upon the stick "bouncing" off the cueball and not trapping it. Just like the cueball won't bounce if it slips on the cloth, the stick won't bounce if it slips on the ball. Without chalk it might not slip, but why take chances?

For a miscue on the jump, the tip, ferrule, and sometimes even the shaft will re-strike the cueball, as demonstrated in the Jacksonville tapes (thanks, Spetty). These experiments showed that a miscue on a jump is often a foul as well as interfering with the desired action, though no rule change was recommended due to the difficulty in actually detecting the restrike without high-speed video.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
10-17-2002, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "says the tip has to "slip" off the cue ball to allow the cue ball to leave the table."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
That's more in line with my past instructional hints on jumping, and I also feel that break shots rely on pure hits, hence chalk is realy not needed there as well(to clarify, I do NOT get more than a tip off center for breaks.) You'll never see me chalk for a break shot and I've learned not to miscue any more or less then the next guy, in fact I'd say that less than most whom I play around. <hr></blockquote>

Breaks and jumps with no chalk since if you stroke well enough you shouldn't need it? Isn't that like doing a tightrope act with no net because if you're good enough you shouldn't need it? We're not trying to woo the spectators here /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2002, 12:28 PM
I look at many things this way,,,if I miscue on a shot I did not intend on applying english to(breaks definitely one of them) then something was done wrongly in my stroke. That's why I won't be found pic'n and scuffn' my tips. It isn't a woo to the audience, it is a signal to myself that I need to mechanically correct something in my stroke. The elevated cue stance used in jumps is semi uncharted territory for me, and the theories I have about the chalk application, or elimination of is still out with the jury. Watch me close Spiderman, I'll ONLY chalk on a break shot by a slip of the mind, and if I do happen to miscue with a dry tip you won't see me chalk then either, I don't care if I'm playing Grandma or Grady for a franklin. I'll merely correct my delivery...sid~~~practices various shots without chalk for a reason