PDA

View Full Version : I am the king of choke.

ObeOne
10-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Long story short:

I'm playing in my first tourney... 8 ball (god I hate 8 ball) on bar boxes. I'm matched up against one of the best players at the tourney. We both need 2 games to win the match, and I run from the break to my last ball and the 8. The 11 is almost straight in and the 8 ball is about an inch away from it. All I have to do is draw the cueball back from the 11 and then sink the 8. I missed the 11 and almost had heart failure.

My opponent now needs 1 game. Again I run from the break and get down to the 8 ball, which is a cut shot into the corner. It's one of those cuts where the cueball and the 8 ball are on a line that makes a 90* angle with the long rail, about 2 diamonds from the short rail. I've made the shot countless times, and it shouldn't be a problem, but lo and behold the 8 hangs in the pocket. Game, set and match.

I ended up taking 4th place... 1 out of the money.

I thought I was going to play well in the tourney too, because before it started, I played 2 games of straight pool to 50 on the 9 foot table, each game against a different opponent. The scores ended up in my favor 50-18, and 50-34.

Oh well.

--Mike

10-17-2002, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> Long story short:

I'm playing in my first tourney... 8 ball (god I hate 8 ball) on bar boxes. I'm matched up against one of the best players at the tourney. We both need 2 games to win the match, and I run from the break to my last ball and the 8. The 11 is almost straight in and the 8 ball is about an inch away from it. All I have to do is draw the cueball back from the 11 and then sink the 8. I missed the 11 and almost had heart failure.

--Mike <hr></blockquote>

I know the feeling. When I miss an easy shot, it is usually because I was overconfident and did not give the shot my full focus. I used to think this was choking too, but often for me it is imperfect focus.

stickman
10-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Mike, was it a case of nerves or over confidence? (lack of concentration) Nerves will go away with more tournament experience. If it was over confidence, I can suggest a drill to help. Line up nine balls across the head string about an inch apart. With ball in hand approximately one diamond back, shoot each ball into the same corner pocket, stopping the cue ball and not hitting another ball. It sounds very easy, but what happens is you wind up taking a shot for granted and miss before you complete shooting all nine balls. If you miss you start over. This drill teaches you to concentrate on each shot. Anyway, I've found it helpful. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-17-2002, 10:19 PM
That's a good drill, Stickman. I'd also like to recommend that when you get down on the money ball after a nice run-out, don't shoot it right away. As easy as the shot may be, chalk it up, give yourself a little victory "lap" around the table, then shoot. I've done it myself where I had a nice runout only to get cocky and not confident with myself, and miss the shot.

Rod
10-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Quote Obe, I am the king of choke.

Ah no your not, you just need a little seasoning. You planned your run and when you got to the end, possibly got a little quick. As mentioned take a moment to calm yourself down. Take 2 or 3 deep breaths while your looking and planning. You are breathing? Then step into the shot and execute.

10-18-2002, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> Long story short:

My opponent now needs 1 game. Again I run from the break and get down to the 8 ball, which is a cut shot into the corner. It's one of those cuts where the cueball and the 8 ball are on a line that makes a 90* angle with the long rail, about 2 diamonds from the short rail. I've made the shot countless times, and it shouldn't be a problem, but lo and behold the 8 hangs in the pocket. Game, set and match.

I ended up taking 4th place... 1 out of the money.

I thought I was going to play well in the tourney too, because before it started, I played 2 games of straight pool to 50 on the 9 foot table, each game against a different opponent. The scores ended up in my favor 50-18, and 50-34.

Oh well.

--Mike <hr></blockquote>

You're probably getting ahead of yourself, and letting the idea that "you are playing a good player" get in the way.. but most likely, you are just getting ahead of yourself and interrupting your rhythm towards the end of the game with too much anticipation, thinking you've already won before you have. If all you had to do was *almost* make the 8, I know alot of people who would be champions. The game ain't over till the last ball drops. Try taking a little MORE time towards the end, rather than less time.. and just chalk your cue.. maybe even pretend to be discusted at the position you are in (even if it's an easy out) and stroke 'em in carefully. Alot of pro players, for some reason in 8-ball, will get up off their shot more times on the last 2 balls or so, or on the 8, then they will any other time in the match, from what I've noticed watching them. Just zone out and win the game. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cheesemouse
10-18-2002, 07:05 AM
We all have experience in the 'dog' department and hopefully have learned something each time that horrible experience bits us on the butt. IMHO I think the key to not dogging it is honesty. Obviously you have to be down in the shooting position to actually dog it. Most of the time the 'little guy/gal' who silently speaks to us in the background of our conscious is sounding the alarm bells of the coming train wreck but due to nerviousness, fear or just a serious case of dumba$$ we are not listening and decide not to trust our little friend, once again, and continue to execute the shot even though we know we are outside the comfort zone. The honesty part comes in after the fact when we ask ourselves "did I have forewarning?". In my case, atleast, the answer most often is 'yes' my little guy was screaming at me to get up off the shot but I failed to heed the warning bells and pulled the trigger. Nine ball Girl and Rod have the right idea. Give yourself a break, take a lap and check with your 'little guy/gal' and see if it is OK to continue.

10-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Learn what focusing is all about. I went threw that stage many times, as probably everyone does at some point. What I needed to do was "Stay down on the shot". It is so common to take it for granted, cause you knew it would be so easy 5 balls ago. Your run was perfect, so you shoot the "money" ball and miss. Why miss? Because you had already relieved your anxieties! So Stay FOCUSED! What I do to stay in that zone is comment to myself: "Bear Down" "Focus". At no point should you be thinking, "only 2 more games, or next opponent is horrible, i may get 2nd"

Find something to trigger your emotions..I "BEAR DOWN" In the color of money, Vincent had his g/f yell "On the snap!" What ever works use it...Just my tidbits!

Join the Hail Mary Club: Break and Runout!!!