PDA

View Full Version : Rumors, Dance Floor and Skaters...

rackmup
10-18-2002, 05:45 AM
As many of you know, we have a new poolroom in Fort Worth (Billy Weir's Sky-High Billiards.) The place is beautiful with Diamond Pro's in 7', 8' and 9'. Great furniture, Diamond lights and plenty of room between the tables.

The best part about it is their "$50. for all you can play" monthly pass. OnePocketChamp, eg8r and I jumped all over that like a hobo on a dime.

Now...the "bad" news:

It's dead in this place during the day. It's not much busier at night (until after 11-11:30PM.) We have silently wondered how the place will survive with seemingly low revenues. Well...in the infinite wisdom of the owners son (a "skater" type), who is apparently a 1/3 owner, they are contemplating installing a dance floor right next to one of the Diamond 9'ers!

The dance floor will be open during the later hours, catering to the younger crowd (more skaters) so it probably won't bother us but I see that 9'er becoming a catch-all for drinks, bottles and the occasional fight.

Hey...if it keeps the place in business, I say go ahead but I sure do hate to see my poolroom turned into a dance club. I guess I should go get my eyebrow pierced and buy some of those baggy jeans so I fit in.

I guess the other shoe had to drop sooner or later.

Ka-thud!

Regards,

Ken (any of your rooms doing this kind of stuff to bring in business and if so, has it caused "problems"?)

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 06:25 AM
Our local ph has 6 Diamond 7' and I think 6 Global 9' on one side. On the other side of the room is more Diamonds and a dance floor. They move the tables out for parties, receptions, etc. It's not so bad if you can put up with the noise. They do a lot of business.

$50 a month!!! /ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif That's a steal. This place charges $100 and it's a rip off.

Heide ` living in the wrong part of the country, still

10-18-2002, 07:46 AM
You know the real problem there is, one the overhead is probably too high and two it is a partnership. There is just not enough money to be made to support three or more partners in a business like a poolroom. All they are selling is pool time and some food and drink. There are only so many prime hours in a given week to make money and that is it no matter what they do. Other business such as manufacturing can be unlimited. New contracts, more workers increased production, expansion, all are in the business plan. You can make millions if you are lucky. Where in a business like a poolroom your maximum income can be worked out on a piece of paper based on the limitations. The room should be able to not only survive, but be profitable with only average business. And if business turns out to be good then you have a gold mine. Most of the pool rooms that I have seen open and last just a few years, were destine to fail the day they opened. You can't cheat the numbers. I have owned three rooms and they were all the same formula and were successful. All are still in business by the way, and one, which I was not the original owner has been open for more then 40 years. The partner thing is the worst part. You will make more money with a nice little twelve table room in a nice location with a beer bar that you own by yourself, Then you will ever make in a big high overhead, overdone room with three partners and you will be much happier. I would say the place you are talking about will most likely go under, they just don't know it yet.

Kato
10-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Fat Cats in Mount Dora, Florida has a night club attatched to it. It's a real bummer shooting pool with extremely attractive women walking by dressed to kill on a Saturday night. Nope, don't wanna go back there again. Yeah right!!!!!!!!

Kato

Eric.
10-18-2002, 08:18 AM
A new room opened in NJ-Prime Time Billiards. They have a bar/cafe in an enclosed room. I think they are planning to make it a sports/dance bar on the weekends.
At first I thought "Oh great" but then again, the bar is separate from the pool tables and like Kato said, having good looking girls running around ain't a bad thing either!
I think if the room is set-up right, both can co-exist without stepping on each other's toes (sorry :-D).
There is another room, Cue & Brew in NJ, which has a bar/club downstairs and a full poolhall upstairs. The place is a goldmine, which brings me to my point-
If that's what it takes to keep a favorite room in business, so be it.

Eric >can't we all get along

eg8r
10-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Not only is it $50 a month, but the place is usually so slow that we can always get the table we want and not be bothered with other people hanging around. This is also the problem with the ph. No one around means no business. I hate the idea of the dance floor. One of the things that rackmup suggested was to move either the dance floor upstairs (they have more tables upstairs), or move the 9' tables upstairs.

Another problem I would like add is that the only food in the pool hall is chips. I wish they had sandwiches or something else. I don't eat while I am playing, but it would be nice to take a break and eat some food if I am going to be there a long time. Otherwise I just eat before hand or afterwards.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
10-18-2002, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr> Eric &gt;can't we all get along <hr></blockquote>

No we cannot get along! LOL That's like at the gym I go to at work, the Aerobics class people (us) just don't get along with the Yoga people (them)! Anyway, my friend that lives in Mannassass, VA (sp?) has a dance floor in a pool room near him. He was quite upset to not see a dance floor when we were at QMasters! Go figure!

St Paul Gal
10-18-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm still chuckling over "Ka-Thud" !! Nice...

WRT dance floors in ph, I guess if I'm in a ph, I'm looking to be serious. If I'm in a bar, then I know I have to put up with the noise.

Any time you have yto move tables back and forth is bad. They never get level, IMHO.

And if the dnace floor is rap and disco, (or even country - sorry) count me out of there, even if the action's good. Not worth it.

spg

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: eg8r:</font><hr> Not only is it $50 a month, but the place is usually so slow that we can always get the table we want and not be bothered with other people hanging around. This is also the problem with the ph. No one around means no business. I hate the idea of the dance floor. One of the things that rackmup suggested was to move either the dance floor upstairs (they have more tables upstairs), or move the 9' tables upstairs.

Another problem I would like add is that the only food in the pool hall is chips. I wish they had sandwiches or something else. I don't eat while I am playing, but it would be nice to take a break and eat some food if I am going to be there a long time. Otherwise I just eat before hand or afterwards.

eg8r <hr></blockquote>

I like slow days when no one is in there. Then there is no one to bother me. However, if I was the owner, then I would be pretty worried about those slow days. Business should pick up via word of mouth, unless they are still serving chips after being open a while /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Moving the dance floor sounds like a good idea if it pretty close to the tables. Ours is not, and they move the tables out if they're going to use it.

It should be a law that every ph should come with a lunch counter at the very least. Chips just won't cut it. When you've been playing for 8 + hours, you don't want to sit down on a break with a bag of chips. You want a nice juicy cheeseburger with all the fixin's, crispy fries and a coke. I would definitely do something about that.

Heide

9 Ball Girl
10-18-2002, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr>You want a nice juicy cheeseburger with all the fixin's, crispy fries and a coke. I would definitely do something about that.Heide<hr></blockquote>

Hey Heide, next time you're in NY, call me up and I'll take you to Platinum Billiards in Brooklyn! Besides the usual cheeseburger and fries, they have Mexican and Chinese too! And they make the best Hot Chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle.

Brent
10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
offtopic ~ I feel kinda hungry.....

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 04:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hey Heide, next time you're in NY, call me up and I'll take you to Platinum Billiards in Brooklyn! Besides the usual cheeseburger and fries, they have Mexican and Chinese too! And they make the best Hot Chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. <hr></blockquote>

Now you've done it. Thank goodness I bought the stuff to make a chocolate cake or I'd be having chocolate withdrawls right about now /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Heide ~ chocoholic

10-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Oooo, I still have some Godiva in the car!!

Karatemom
10-19-2002, 07:41 AM

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2002, 09:15 AM
The ultimate dance floor/pool hall combo

http://www.worldpoolmasters.com/masters/StricklandProfile.jpg

Earl said "I always wanted to do that but the lights are usually in the way" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Harold Acosta
10-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea if it was a "Coyote Ugly" style bar and dance room. Obviously "ladies only" serving at the bar and doing the dancing!