PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering?

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 06:57 AM
For a little more than a month, I was shooting like a goddess. Making shots and pretty good cue ball control, the whole 9 yds. Last Monday and Tuesday nights, however, things took a 180 on me. Hardly made a 10 at leagues, lost all 3 games, went 2 and out at the tourney - arrrrrgggghhhh. I'm in a terrible slump and hope it leaves soon. When you guys get in a slump, how long before you pull out of it. Is there anything that you do to pump yourself up?

Heide ~ knew this would come some day

Kato
10-18-2002, 07:11 AM
Hi Heide/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif, I've been in a slump for the last 5 years/ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif. No worries, take a few days off, go back to basics.

Kato~~~needs the update on Kansas. Perhaps Heide will be available for speaking or writing this evening?

Jay M
10-18-2002, 07:14 AM
There are two types of slumps I get into.

The most common is simply burnout. I spend about 5-7 hours a day shooting (counting practice and games). About every month I will hit this slump and be unable to get out of a fairly straightforward rack. I take a day or two off and don't even think about the game and when I come back, I'm fine.

The other type of slump I get into is really annoying while it's going on, but well worth it in the long run. When I am making subconcious adjustments to my game, there will be a period of a few days when I just can't make a ball. I'll miss straight in shots. I'll manage to hide myself on nearly every leave. Anything that can go wrong, will. BUT, when my game gets back from vacation, I am usually a noticable bit better, usually a ball better, sometimes 2.

So how do I tell them apart? If I am in the first type of slump, my game will show marginal improvements towards the end of each session. At the end of the night, I'll be able to get out of medium difficulty racks most of the time. If I'm in the second type of slump, my game doesn't change from the first rack until the end of the night.

Hopefully you are in the improvement stage of the game. If not, just take a day or two away from the game and don't dwell on it.

Jay M

cheesemouse
10-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Karatemom,
It could be that you are becoming comfortable with your new teamates. Knowing that they will except you win or lose and so look forward to the social outing perhaps your having too much fun and just forgetting to bear down on the actual playing of the game. If I am way off base just blame it on your old man and go on with life... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-18-2002, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> For a little more than a month, I was shooting like a goddess. Making shots and pretty good cue ball control, the whole 9 yds. Last Monday and Tuesday nights, however, things took a 180 on me. Hardly made a 10 at leagues, lost all 3 games, went 2 and out at the tourney - arrrrrgggghhhh. I'm in a terrible slump and hope it leaves soon. When you guys get in a slump, how long before you pull out of it. Is there anything that you do to pump yourself up?

Heide ~ knew this would come some day <hr></blockquote>

Usually what happens in a slump, is you get bored and uninterested in the game itself. For a month you are wayyyy into the game, but the next week you could care less about it. Alot of times, while in a slump, you quit paying attention to where you are addressing the cueball with your cue, and if you look, you will probably notice that you are slightly or even imensely (sp?) OFF center, or you are not hitting it where you think you are.. because due to the lack of interest in the game, you aren't really paying attention to detail. There is a little section, probably the most important words ever written about the game of pool, in BYRNEs' standard book of pool, towards the beginning, where he describes every little detail about your pre-shot routine and the shot itself. That page alone is worth 50 times the price of the book, IMO.

Anyways, next time you are practicing, just hit the balls around, trying to make them, but work more on HOW you hit them, and not so much on whether they go in or not. Work on hitting the cueball EXACTLY where you want to, and make sure your stroke is smooth and fluid. Shoot a rack and just use a very hard stroke for all of them, and then shoot a rack and use a soft stroke and roll them all in. Then work on draw shots, and force follow shots, and do a couple drills that center around perfecting your cueball control and speed control.

that should get you started. You might also make a goal for yourself.. such as running out as many times as you can in 8 or 9 ball, in 5 games. If you're not challenging yourself enough, you'll lose interest.

socrates
10-18-2002, 07:40 AM
I wrote an article on this very subject a couple of years ago titled "The Eyes Have It - The Bounce Hit of Pool"

This excercise has helped me on many occasions. I will bring a copy of it to the p.h. and you can take a look at it and see if it might be helpful to you.

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~needs the update on Kansas. Perhaps Heide will be available for speaking or writing this evening? <hr></blockquote>

Will talk to you later, have tons of things to do this afternoon, and should talk to Chris by then for an update.

Heide ~ thanks for the tip. I did play 8 hrs Sat, 5 on Sun, then tourney Mon night and leagues Tues. That just might be a bit too much.

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Thanks Jay. I do believe I am in the 2nd type of slump. If I did manage to make a ball, I usually hooked myself for the next. This happened all night, both nights. I might as well have played the same game 3 times /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. I do try not to dwell on it, but will practice even harder this weekend.

For the past month, I have seen a slight, but noticeable improvement in my game. I can pick out certain patterns that I couldn't before. I can now see the angles, which was completely impossible 2 months ago. I guess I was wishing that it would last forever /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Hopefully this slump won't last long, but I will definitely come out of it better than I went in.

Thanks again,

Heide

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:33 PM
I already blame everything on Chris, so this will fit right in /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. Actually, I haven't played with the same teammates for 2 weeks now. They keep changing. I was the only constant. I did find out that 2 of them will be consistent along with me, while the others rotate.

I am definitely not comfortable with them yet. I'm not used to going out of the house without the big guy or the little guy, so this is all new to me. They are all really nice, but I've just never been the type to go out with my girlfriends and have a good time. I'm there to shoot, not gossip. I do enough of that at work /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Nervousness, I'm sure, played a huge part in my playing ability on Tuesday. They have all played in leagues before and know all the other teams and goof off with them. I just kind of sit there, not knowing a soul, and real quiet. I do chat with them a little, but don't know any of them well enough yet to get chummy.

Thanks Cheese.

Heide

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Something I do about every other weekend is QSkill. That gives me a goal to work for on the weekends when I can get to the ph. As for interest in the game, I have been swamped at work and have a lot on my plate right now, but I don't think I've lost interest in the game. Pool is my release.

CB and speed control are two things I definitely need help in. There are some drills that I know that will help in that area and will work on them this weekend.

Thanks!

Heide

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Steve. I should be there this weekend. I would like to get the house real clean for Chris when he gets back, but if I don't get to it, oh well /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. I'm sure I'll make time for pool, I usually do.

Heide

CarolNYC
10-19-2002, 04:40 AM
Hey Heide,
Apparently you know what your abilities are!"Played like a goddess"-Dont even think of "slump" or last Monday or Tuesday,all there is, is "here and now"-You cannot change what happened in the past,ha ha ha-(if you find a way, let me know,) next time you step up to the plate, all your dealing with is "here and now" and THAT you have control over!Go Gettum!:)
Carol

Karatemom
10-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Thanks Carol. Last week was so bad, I don't want to go back /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. The only way to change it is to do better next time, which I intend on doing. You're the best.

Heide