PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Super Speed Cushions

CRATER59
10-18-2002, 12:15 PM
I had new Brunswick Super Speed cushions installed on my Brunswick GC3. The table is 13 yrs. old. The new cushions are very lively, The cue ball jumps up when run into the short rails with follow. My question is will these cushions eventually calm down. I have checked their height and it is correct all the way around.

Harold Acosta
10-19-2002, 11:27 AM
You're hitting the cue ball a tiny wit too hard. You'll make the adjustments and they would perform just fine.

Cueless Joey
10-19-2002, 11:28 AM
What is the height right now?
I believe it has to be 1 29/64".
The Artemis cushion is even more lively and lasts much longer. Superspeed gets hard after just a few years.

10-19-2002, 12:21 PM
having the c.b. jump when you drive it to the rail with top spin, or follow, is normal. there are even some fairly nifty trick shots that use that to escape over balls that have you trapped.

as to different manufacturers, most of the rubber comes from the same outfits in japan and more depends on the quality of the batch than the specific label. that business about brunswick turning hard is urban legend. i can take you to some 40 year old brunswicks with original rubber that play just fine.

dan

Cueless Joey
10-19-2002, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> having the c.b. jump when you drive it to the rail with top spin, or follow, is normal. there are even some fairly nifty trick shots that use that to escape over balls that have you trapped.

as to different manufacturers, most of the rubber comes from the same outfits in japan and more depends on the quality of the batch than the specific label. that business about brunswick turning hard is urban legend. i can take you to some 40 year old brunswicks with original rubber that play just fine.

dan <hr></blockquote>
Dan, you can still find some Superspeed that were made in Chicago decades ago that are still fine. But, word is since D and R started making cushions for Brunswick, quality has gone down. I have a friend who manages a pool hall. He had the cushions replaced on his GC's by Ernesto. Ernesto is fanatical in using Artemis.

10-19-2002, 01:33 PM
The angle and height of the cushinon relative to the table is what makes the balls jump or not jump. Sounds like you need an adjustment. It's not the rubber, it's the angle. Balls should never jump when struck moderately hard.

10-19-2002, 04:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CRATER59:</font><hr> I had new Brunswick Super Speed cushions installed on my Brunswick GC3. The table is 13 yrs. old. The new cushions are very lively, The cue ball jumps up when run into the short rails with follow. My question is will these cushions eventually calm down. I have checked their height and it is correct all the way around. <hr></blockquote>

If you don't tighten the rails down enough, they sometimes cause the cueball to jump up. You should be able to hit the rail at pretty good speed and not have the cueball jump.. as in, if you were going to go for a kickshot off the short rail, and try to luck somthing in for 9-ball.

Tightening down the rails also can change the angle up or down (if you loosen them a little). However, if you put them on yourself, are you sure you put them on right? Perhaps on that one rail you just put the cushion on up-side-down.. there are of course two ways you can put them on, and only one of them is right. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif