PDA

View Full Version : Good days and bad ones

Brent
10-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Hi again. I was wondering if u people get really shitty days. Sorry for language but I think u know what Im talking about. Its just that the other day I had one: I suddenly didnt know what hit me...I dont think it was my new cue cuz the day before I handeled the cue well and it wasnt uncomfy for me. So like what happens somedays ? I was playing so bad that I almost started crying...lol..well not excatly but I got that feeling. Today on the otherhand I left my cue home cuz I didnt know Id stop by the poolroom ( silly me...cuz I always stop by the poolroom /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif) well anyway I played alot better today most of the bankshots I tried work out good etc. So what are ur experiences with good and bad days ? Thnx 4 replying everyone....nice when people notice u.

Brent from eastern europe /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2002, 01:19 PM
EVERYBODY has good and bad days. My bad days are like a nightmare.

The more quality practice time and quality playing time you put in, the fewer bad days you will have. And your 'bad' game will be way above the other guys' 'good' game.

What brand and type of cue did you end up buying?

Kato
10-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Brent, you already know the answer to this question. Do I have bad days? Yes sir I have a scale in which I operate.

Terrific: If the planets are aligned just right then there is POTENTIAL for this to happen. This part of my game usually comes out when nobody is watching.

Better than good: This is my "watch me get in trouble speed". Usually I'll be playing good and then bam.....suddenly I'm playing "Better than good". This is when everybody I plays becomes Efren Reyes.

Good: This is my speed that is just good enough to lose to an average player. If I had an "average" speed I could win these matches, unfortunately I don't.

Worse than good: This is how I shoot after 6 beers. At this juncture I begin to realize just how much I need a new cue, stroke, stance, pre-shot routine, and focus. I live in this world.

Bad: This is how I play when I play in a CCB tournament. Usually this occurs when I'm hanging out with a bunch of people I just met. It also seems in this state there is no sleep, focus, brain cells to pocket balls.

Worse than bad: This is why I quit playing pool after the U.S. Open and the reason why I'm starting to play again. I don't think I can quit on this note.

There you have it. Everybody has bad days.

Kato

Brent
10-18-2002, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> EVERYBODY has good and bad days. My bad days are like a nightmare.

The more quality practice time and quality playing time you put in, the fewer bad days you will have. And your 'bad' game will be way above the other guys' 'good' game.

What brand and type of cue did you end up buying? <hr></blockquote>

Yay..Im not alone haveing bad days /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Well I thaught u have bad days but mau´ybe not as bad as mine was...(shivers)..Im much better now thnx. About the cue - well it cost me around 80$ i think. I thinks its made in china /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif . She has a whippy shaft (thats how u call it I think) and shes pretty good looking:) I think she has irish linen (if thats the handle wrap or something like that). 4 u it would probably suck but Im used playing with a house-cue so its super-good 4 me /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Im organizeing another college 8-ball tournament...maybe Il get some pictures done about my date /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif and my home-court. Later Wally....lol @ Kato...these are the posts I live for /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Brent from Estonia

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 03:02 PM
I made a post very similar to this one earlier this morning. That's one thing I love about the people here. They make their suggestions and then you realize, wow, that is what happened /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

I'm in the middle of a slump right now. I haven't shot since Tuesday night and not sure if I should even pick up a cue. But like usual, I will get back on my horse and ride again this weekend. I will practice some of the things that I had trouble with this last week, and will work on some new things that will help my game overall. Slumps don't last forever, and you come out of them better in the end.

Heide ~ thanks to everyone

Brent
10-18-2002, 03:33 PM
So like when u go playing then if theres something ur not so confident about u just practise it like take 2 balls and start shooting bankshots or englishes ?

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Brent:</font><hr> So like when u go playing then if theres something ur not so confident about u just practise it like take 2 balls and start shooting bankshots or englishes ? <hr></blockquote>

Exactly! Chris had me work on my englishes with different cut shots. I would do 100 cut shots using the same english on every shot, then move to the other side of the table and do the same thing. Then go to another shot, like lining up the balls in the center of the table, and practicing bank shots until you get every one of them in on the first try. When I drill, I drill for the whole day on different areas. If I don't mix it up a little, it gets to be too much. Now this weekend, I will be drilling using english on my cut shots and we'll see what happens this Monday and Tuesday night /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Heide ~ JMO, others might have a different approach.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Brent,,

If its just "DAYS" your on the right track...

I remember having a bad Decade.. the 1970s.. all I could do was lose. My game was non-exisitant.

All my playing days in the 1970s were BAD. But, I played and loved playing. I had some great friends that really knew how to play pool and loved helping me (for a small amout of cash) Back in the 70s, books, tapes, instructors and friendly helpful pool players were scarce.

I remember asking one really good player,, "how did you make that shot" and his reply was "Son.. were playing for money.. if you want lessons, that will cost you extra"

Your game will get better with more table time and practice. Look forward to the day when your average game is GOOD, and shows up almost every day you play... and your better game starts to show up more often..

Good luck.. and let us know how your college tournament turns out..

Rod
10-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Quote Heide,"Then go to another shot, like lining up the balls in the center of the table, and practicing bank shots until you get every one of them in on the first try. snip

Hedie,

I use to make banks part of my practice. I'd just set up 6 balls as a start. One stroke all 6 in one side, then 6 more to the other side with center low. Then use low inside both directions, and from there go to corner banks, then long rail banks all done with 1 stroke. The idea was of course to make all of the balls, but just as important was just bank by instinct. Then when you have a bank during a game just rely on instinct. Another drill was bank all 15 in the side or corner. I'd get to 10, 12, even 14 then miss. I won't use the word here that I used, well just line them up again and start over! 2 days ago I was shooting some banks with some difficulty I might add and thought boy I need to practice banks more often. What's the saying, if you don't use it you lose it! Good luck on your practice this weekend.

Karatemom
10-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi Rod. I should practice banks more often, but I haven't drilled in a while. This weekend I'll have to get down to business. I hated practicing banks because I never saw the angles, or should I say "felt the angle". But now, the angles are becoming more clear so I have more confidence in my banks and kicks. That is one of the many things I will be practicing this weekend, assuming of course, that my son doesn't bug me the whole day /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Heide

phil in sofla
10-22-2002, 08:59 PM
There have been times when I've missed 10 shots in a row warming up, which I simply could not believe was even possible. Including some hangers! That time, I wasn't following my pre-shot routine, just trying to play intuitively and loose, and I guess there is way too much room for error in my game if I don't bear down on my fundamentals.

But the days don't make sense, in that I can play outstanding (for me) on day, terrible the next, with no apparent rhyme or reason or especial difference in the circumstances.

Makes me paranoid. A few things I've found that can make me shoot very bad include eating too much or too rich a meal too close to shooting. I think the digestion takes away something (blood? blood sugar?) from the brain, and my brain needs a little more than it normally gets. Also, developing bad habits, bad mechanics, etc., can be devastating. If I neglect to pause at the end of my final backswing, my results are highly variable, to say the least!

You've got a good idea to change from normal shooting to working on other things, kicks, safety play, whatever, if your pocketing just isn't there that day. Also consider not eating too soon before playing.

When your shot is off badly, consider drilling on a pure stroke drill, like Kinister's "#1 shot," which is a straight shot just off the rail, with the cue ball on (just off) the 2nd diamond, the object ball on (just off) the 6th diamond. You're trying to hit a stun shot that just creeps forward enough to replace the object ball's location. This drill will reveal any inaccuracy in your stroke, and after a little time with it, it should straighten up your aim line and ability to stroke down that line without spin on the cue ball.

Barry
10-22-2002, 09:16 PM
today, i tried my best. I worked as hard as I could.
If I can do that everyday I'm doing ok.

Brent
10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
I also had a very good day. The guy I often play with is usually as good as I am. When we play the score is quite even. But today..well I was haveing agood day and the score was 6-1 in 8-ball. He was so pissed off that he found some lame excuse that he had to go and left me practising alone. It was quite fun actually /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I felt good and started playing straight by myself...I did good. If Id only have more days like this. Later all.

Brent

griffith_d
10-23-2002, 06:26 AM
Bad days, how about two bad weeks in a row,...two and out in my weekly tournament. Both weeks(last night also), my first match was with the 2nd best player in the place, who I have never beaten in a match,..sure I have beat him in many games over the past year, but not the whole match.

Somehow, ups and down will not stop,..two weeks ago, I could hardly miss,...I am not playing terrible, but playing the better people right off doesn't help either.

But the good thing is the "downs" is not as far down as it used to be.

Griff

Wally_in_Cincy
10-23-2002, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> A few things I've found that can make me shoot very bad include eating too much or too rich a meal too close to shooting. I think the digestion takes away something (blood? blood sugar?) from the brain, and my brain needs a little more than it normally gets. <hr></blockquote>

I don't eat supper before I play, usually just a snack. One night I ate 2 slices of pizza about a half-hour before I played, then I got nervous during my match and my stomach hurt like heck /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

A few weeks ago I ate pizza about 9:00 and when my match started at 10:00 I was so tired I couldn't play a lick.