PDA

View Full Version : If You Looked Wierd?

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2002, 08:19 AM
I sometimes find that while working on a specialty shot, especially really long jumps that(to my internal view of myself at least) I project a contorted physique and expression that most likely appears goofy to the outside world. I for some reason shy away from adopting these and yet at the same time these positions produce good results, far better in accuracy and consistency that the usual approaches.

Would you let it bother you in a public appearance enough to not use these "weapons" simply because of the way you appeared in public to others? I'm guessing the answers will be more for "No" cuz I've certainly seen some odd ball approaches by better players.

This actually brings up another thread idea, "What are some of the odd things you've seen players do in their regular game?" Micheal Jordan hangs that tongue out in basketball, and I've seen a pool player do that as well. What others have you seen???sid

BTW, I'm not hanging anything out with my new found methods, just getting twisted around sv

Karatemom
10-20-2002, 09:06 AM
You're right again. I wouldn't let it bother me if my position or expressions were not "ladylike" or otherwise. Most of the time, if people don't like me the way I am, then to hell with them. Chris can vouch for me on that one. There's a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". It doesn't really matter what you look like doing it, as long as the ball drops, right?

There is one particular delicate shot that I make where I tilt my head slightly over the cue. Don't know why I do it only on this shot, but I do, and ball falls every time. I can honestly say that I don't believe I've ever missed this shot. I've seen Chris do this a few times, maybe that's where I picked it up, but it works, so why change it.

In tennis, I have seen Pete Sampras hang his tongue out as well, usually on his serve. Maybe there is something to hanging your tongue out /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Heide

10-20-2002, 09:16 AM
JMHO: If a goofy or contorterd approach gives you something superior to the others, then who cares what they think? Maybe you discovered something new and maybe they'll adapt your method. But if it merely gives you the same results as others get, then why not practice a more conventional way until you get it. Is it worth it to look like a jerk if you don't have to?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-20-2002, 10:33 AM
Sid,

There are quite a few players that I know, that use body english (contortions of all sorts) trying to guide the cue ball and/or the object ball.

Its almost laughable sometimes and other times I find myself doing it with them... which I think is even funnier.. and that's on NORMAL shots.

If you think others are judging your contortions, you are probably wrong, not that many care in the first place, unless you make the shot.

9 Ball Girl
10-20-2002, 10:47 AM
I used to shy away from shooting balls where you have to sort of have to lift your leg closest to the table and then rest it on the table because I felt it wasn't lady like. Not true anymore. But people have all kinds of "body english". Has anyone ever seen Steve Lillis play? He's quite the entertainer!

Wendy~~a fan of Steve Lillis /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

Drake
10-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Some Hustlers spend a lot of time trying to look weird to get more action. If you can repeat your weird techniques with consistent results.....who cares?? Smile for the picture when they hand you the money.

Patrick
10-20-2002, 08:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> In tennis, I have seen Pete Sampras hang his tongue out as well, usually on his serve. Maybe there is something to hanging your tongue out /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Heide <hr></blockquote>They hang their tongue out to be more relaxed.

Patrick

Kato
10-20-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a tendency to be very animated at the table. I don't know, that's just me. Some guy named Micheal Jordan used to stick out his tongue. I thought he could play a little.

Kato

10-20-2002, 10:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I sometimes find that while working on a specialty shot, especially really long jumps that(to my internal view of myself at least) I project a contorted physique and expression that most likely appears goofy to the outside world. I for some reason shy away from adopting these and yet at the same time these positions produce good results, far better in accuracy and consistency that the usual approaches.

Would you let it bother you in a public appearance enough to not use these "weapons" simply because of the way you appeared in public to others? I'm guessing the answers will be more for "No" cuz I've certainly seen some odd ball approaches by better players.

This actually brings up another thread idea, "What are some of the odd things you've seen players do in their regular game?" Micheal Jordan hangs that tongue out in basketball, and I've seen a pool player do that as well. What others have you seen???sid

BTW, I'm not hanging anything out with my new found methods, just getting twisted around sv <hr></blockquote>

I've seen people straddle the table in some funny ways before.

=k=
10-21-2002, 09:07 AM
sid ! if you could only see this guy on our team break! he goes through this complete weird ritual every break.. i have had one guy that he waxed, come up to me and say after that weird break he just couldn't focus.. i told him i know takes so getting used to.. hehe he also hitched up hip britches before every shot..i mean really hitches them up.. i guess that is better than exposer... k

SpiderMan
10-21-2002, 09:17 AM
I had a shot where the 8-ball was on center of the foot rail and the cueball was about a foot out from it with a very thin cut into the left corner. I planted my right foot on the floor on the right-hand side of the table near the breaking end, laid my left foot across the table on the left-side rail, and leaned down-table to shoot the cut. But I kept slipping forward and my bridge arm was having to support all my weight, so I stuck the toe of my left foot in the left corner pocket behind me to keep me from sliding forward. Looked funny, but I made the shot.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I sometimes find that while working on a specialty shot, especially really long jumps that(to my internal view of myself at least) I project a contorted physique and expression that most likely appears goofy to the outside world. I for some reason shy away from adopting these and yet at the same time these positions produce good results, far better in accuracy and consistency that the usual approaches.

BTW, I'm not hanging anything out with my new found methods, just getting twisted around sv <hr></blockquote>

rackmup
10-21-2002, 06:48 PM
My dogs hang their tongues out almost all of the time and they are really laid back. I might give it a try.

Regards,

Ken (now drooling on his shirt. I'll look for another, less messy way to relax)

Barbara
10-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Actually Ken, leaving your mouth slightly open relaxes your jaw muscles while you're shooting and that is a key to relaxing the rest of your body while shooting. Clenching your teeth does the opposite.

Barbara~~~only sticks her tongue out at bad shots (that she makes!)

Barbara
10-21-2002, 09:24 PM
"Looked funny"?? NOT!! I want pictures!!!

Barbara~~~really wants pictures...

10-22-2002, 03:13 PM
ANONYM<font color=red>OO</font color=red>SE ALERT!

SpiderMan
10-22-2002, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> "Looked funny"?? NOT!! I want pictures!!!

Barbara~~~really wants pictures... <hr></blockquote>

Bring your camera in May, we'll both get more pictures this time! I won't be so worried about "sharking" you, or maybe you'll pose?

SpiderMan

Barbara
10-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Sorry Big Guy, but it looks like we won't be there next May. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif We both need a "real vacation" and we're looking at doing some sailing around the Bahamas. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
10-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Good observations. First, is it really odd or is it right? Next, if it was the bestest and badest way then either they would adopt it or they would suffer. Thanks for your reply...sid

Barry
10-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi Barb,
I hope you remember me. I made you a cue.

Paul_Mon
10-23-2002, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Actually Ken, leaving your mouth slightly open relaxes your jaw muscles while you're shooting and that is a key to relaxing the rest of your body while shooting. Clenching your teeth does the opposite.

Barbara~~~only sticks her tongue out at bad shots (that she makes!) <hr></blockquote>

You're right Barbara. It's an old relaxation technique that I first read in a golf mag. Ken Venturi or some other guru suggested that you pretend that a potatoe chip is between your teeth while setting up and executing the shot. It might be fun to actually try this with real chips.

Paul Mon

Barbara
10-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Barry!! Is this really you?? You actually emerged from the shadows of lurking and registered your name??

And late too... Hey! Isn't it past your beddy-bye time?? Shouldn't you be in bed and dreaming up new designs?? Hmmm?? You know, like the *one* we discussed waaaaay back when??

Barbara~~~hey la, hey la, her Cue Man's back!