PDA

View Full Version : Having Enough Bullets

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2002, 08:33 AM
I had an experience with a player whom I respect yesterday where he was wanting a game but the stakes he offered happened to cut my bullets(you know those symbolic dollar amounts you lose on each set) to half the amount that I felt comfortable with, I like to have at least 5 bullets to begin with. Even though there was no action for the guy, he wouldn't play for my wager so I asked for a deeper spot(the 7) and I'd play for his original wager. This got a look of slight insult.

Was this parlay for the wager amount appropriate in your views? I simply didn't like to head into a session without those 5 bullets unless there was really some incentive(increased spot.) Thanks...sid

Karatemom
10-20-2002, 08:52 AM
Hi Sid. I believe you were right to do so. If you were to have taken his wager, you would have been sweating those bullets the whole time, IMO. If you feel better leaving 5 or so in your pocket, then do so. Who cares if he was insulted, you need to make sure that you're comfortable with the wager, let him worry about whether or not he is. If he didn't like the bet you offered, he could have said forget it and backed out. I think you did the right thing, IMO.

Heide

cheesemouse
10-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Sid,
The best gambling advise I ever got was to count your bullets before you leave the house and then play within that comfort zone for the rest of that day. If you win early and want to let it ride the amount the bullets are worth changes upward but not the number of bullets. I guess I would say if your not comfortable don't play. Adjust the game to something in your comfort zone whatever that maybe, if you can't come to that agreement take a pass. If you really want action it is always there.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Sid,

I understand you wanting to be within your established limits of being "Comfortable". What I don't understand, is why you asked for a deeper spot? You still were 2 bullets shy of being "comfortable", right? Would this spot really make you feel more comfortable?

Was there a spot to begin with? Did you still play? Did your opponent really look insulted, or was he just being coy and the parlay continue? Did he say ok? What happened?

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2002, 11:12 AM
"What I don't understand, is why you asked for a deeper spot? You still were 2 bullets shy of being "comfortable", right? Would this spot really make you feel more comfortable? "

I figured that if I was going to be steered into playing in my discomfort zone that he should barter for a balance of discomfort with the deeper spot if the initial wager was the end result. Tit for tat, add discomfort on the other side.

"Was there a spot to begin with?"

Yes, the 8.

"Did you still play? Did your opponent really look insulted, or was he just being coy and the parlay continue? Did he say ok? What happened?

No he wouldn't budge. I imagine coy was more than likely "the look", and eventually an offer to go from 5 to 3 games in the race and using my wager(5 bullets) was kicked at me, so yes the parlay continued. He backed out of the shorter race offer, I was ready. The evening ended and we parted company...sid

10-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Did he become aware you only had two barrels? I would say if you produced some money you may have gotten the 7 if he liked the game. He certainly isn't playing someone he now knows has no money. Especially if it is a tough game. Not a good deal "I can win a $100. or I can lose a $1000. I am not surprised he passed. You are not doing him a favor by playing, you are just taking a cheap shot at his bank roll. Probably the reason you got the look.

Drake
10-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Two good rules of gambling: 1.)Never bet more than your comfortable with (Ex. I ALWAYS have 20 games worth or 4 sets worth of bullets) 2.) Never let your opponent make the game completely, change the set race or pay off time or the amount of the bed or something different than exactly what they proposed.

Drake
10-20-2002, 11:40 AM
changing the BET.....not BED.

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Yea that fact that I was limited was stated in the beginning. He and I have been friends a long time, just that his money game is bigger than mine so it made sense to me that since the "aquarium was vacant" he'd rather play for less than sit around and not put a cue together at all. I'm sure he understood that if a bigger fish swum in he was allowed to hustle over to that game.

Oh well, I hope I'll do the same thing all over again under the same circumstances. I usually get suckered in...sid~~~gambles for the experience more than the cash

10-20-2002, 01:19 PM
You know, I never consider any bet to be a contract. What I mean is if I am playing a guy I usually play with, we don't always have to play for the same thing. You can play some $50. 9-ball and another time $10. 9-ball with the same guy. The idea is to get the game made so you can play, that is why you came to the pool room, is to play. Having said that you should never gamble with money you cannot afford. You can play the guy another time.

SPetty
10-20-2002, 07:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Drake:</font><hr> changing the BET.....not BED. <hr></blockquote>Hi Drake,

For you and other registered posters... Since you are a registered poster, you can go back and edit your original post and no one need be the wiser. You don't need to post another one just to fix the previous one - just go to the original post and click "Edit".

Hope that helps.

Vagabond
10-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Howdy Sid,
Asking for 7 ball is not insulting.Reverse of that could some times be insulting if u want to give 7 to a superior player like Jr.Harris of Fort Worth.It is socially acceptable like taking deductions in our income tax returns.No worries Mate.
Vagabond