PDA

View Full Version : Player's that think they are better than they are!

10-20-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm sure everyone knows someone or a few someones that think they are better than reality. You know the person. He/she might even be slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude towrds other players that are better than her! Anybody got some good stories?

TheShot

cheesemouse
10-20-2002, 09:51 AM
Geez, I think you just discribed all of us.....heheheheh

10-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Mommy, Mommy! Lil' Johnny says he's better'n me and I know it's not true and it makes me SO MAD!!!! (sniff sniff) Now, now, Lil' Timmy sweetie...calm down...that's the way things are in that big bad world out there. You're going to have to be strong to survive.

40 Years later: Timmy says: "I'm sure everyone knows someone or a few someones that think they are better than reality. You know the person. He/she might even be slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude towrds other players that are better than her! Anybody got some good stories?"

LMAO!

Drake
10-20-2002, 11:33 AM
In many ways a pool player really needs to think he/she is better than they are.....Isn't this the game described as being 90 percent mental?? Those same people usually play pretty good all the time. Just Don't Let it hurt your wallet!! I'm leaving out the loud mouths that are all talk and no action.

10-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude. Also are not as good as they think they are. I think you call that a gift from God.

Cueless Joey
10-20-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I'm sure everyone knows someone or a few someones that think they are better than reality. You know the person. He/she might even be slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude towrds other players that are better than her! Anybody got some good stories?

TheShot <hr></blockquote>
Earl Strickland.

Rip
10-20-2002, 12:09 PM
I am better than I are. /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif Patrick has shown me the way! LOL, Rip

bluewolf
10-20-2002, 01:51 PM
This is just me, but I have to go into every match believing I will win, so that I will play my best game. Then if I get beaten (which I often do), I do not feel bad because I played a good game.

My observation: most players think they are better than they perform on the table. And I hear a lot of excuses when they lose like 'i am better than that, i was having a bad day','i didnt get the rolls' instead of that the other player deserved to win because he or she is better or played great.

bw

smfsrca
10-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Many , if not most may tend to think of themselves in terms of their best game rather than their average game. This is why they get frustrated. The closer your average game comes to your best game the less frustrated and more accomplished you become. Except to the very refined eye there is very little distinction between the top pros average game and best game.
All of this has very little to do with a players attitude. A players attitude at the table usually reflects his attitude in other areas of his life. It has very little to do with his skill.
If you do not enjoy playing a skillful and arrogant player than avoid doing so as much as possible.
In pool. as in life. there will always be people that just rub you the wrong way. If you develop a skin thick enough to be unaffected you may be in danger of becoming one of the people you don't like.

travellerdl2
10-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi Anon,
Thanks for the interesting question! I don't have any stories but I would like to leave you with a thought that Jimmy (anon) left on the board a few months ago:

Ronnie Allen said it best when he was describing a shortstop player who had beat him in a tournament, "This guy has himself bullsh1tted into thinking he can play!"

Mark, thinks he can play!

10-20-2002, 04:47 PM
The broad that has something to say about everything!!! Even if she doesn't know what she's talking about! This broad can argue with a block of wood.

10-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey, she is just emotionally needy:-) Do you mind?

Have you Sir/Madam no sense of decency?

BW is kind of like Patrick, but on a different tangent. She is entertaining in her own away.

10-20-2002, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Drake:</font><hr> In many ways a pool player really needs to think he/she is better than they are.....Isn't this the game described as being 90 percent mental?? Those same people usually play pretty good all the time. Just Don't Let it hurt your wallet!! I'm leaving out the loud mouths that are all talk and no action. <hr></blockquote>

There is a difference between knowing you are good, and thinking you are better than everyone.

If you walked into a place pretending you couldn't play a lick, and won the tournament, they'd call you a "hustler" or a "shark." So I don't know.. and who cares.. just act like you like to play the game of pool.

10-21-2002, 02:08 AM
What are you smoking? Yes, I agree, Earl Strickland is cocky but he is better than almost everyone. How many people do you see who can actually beat Earl consistantly? Earl has an arrogant attitude in general, not torwards players that are bettr than him.

Fred Agnir
10-21-2002, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I'm sure everyone knows someone or a few someones that think they are better than reality. You know the person. He/she might even be slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude towrds other players that are better than her! Anybody got some good stories?<hr></blockquote>
In the amateur league world, that describes every new league-player whose only previous experience was Friday night when they "held the table all night."

Do I have a story? Every Tuesday and Thursday night.

Fred &lt;~~~ knows the ladder and the low rung he's on.

10-21-2002, 06:51 AM
If it was'ent for missed shots, bad rolls and scratches, I'd be a world class player rich and famous

Perk
10-21-2002, 12:41 PM
That is TOO FUNNY...perfect example...My home town bar league...I am TOP SHOOTER for my bar, and consistently 1 - 2 in the league every year. Everyone in the league/bar players on weekend, look at me and this other guy as some kind of pool god. I just laugh, cause most of the time during the week when i travel to tourney's, and try to hustle, I usually drive home pissed or broke. I have alot of friends that are Champs or have played the champs, so my EYES are opened. To me the best part about playing the game is that: "Pool is a great sport, but also scary knowing that there are TONS of amatuers that would crush alot of the PROS". If anyone disagrees with that last statement, I am interested in hearing your opinions.

Vicki
10-21-2002, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Hill:</font><hr> What are you smoking? Yes, I agree, Earl Strickland is cocky but he is better than almost everyone. How many people do you see who can actually beat Earl consistantly? Earl has an arrogant attitude in general, not torwards players that are bettr than him. <hr></blockquote>

I agree that Earl is not arrogant toward other players. Every chance Earl gets he gives credit to the players he respects. He mentioned Efren several times at the Roast as well as some other guys. I don't think any of them are better than Earl and I don't think Earl would disagree with me. They are his peers and he treats them all with due respect. (Away from the table, at least.) He gave a speech at the Roast where he was humble and gracious, thanking the people who have contributed to his success, including the players and promoters. He comes off arrogant at the table, but believe me, he is just an "average Joe" like the rest of us. If you get a chance to talk to him in the halls before or after one of his matches you will see what I mean. He's a different person once the match is over.

Vicki

shayla
10-21-2002, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I'm sure everyone knows someone or a few someones that think they are better than reality. You know the person. He/she might even be slightly cocky and have a slightly arrogant attitude towrds other players that are better than her! Anybody got some good stories?

TheShot <hr></blockquote>

Back in August, I was playing in an amateur women's event. There was a girl there that my boyfriend knew of because she had just won some big regional college tournament. She was somewhat cocky and after watching her play a match, I wasn't sure where all that cocky-ness came from. I figured I should be able to beat her no problem. My next match is called, and guess who my opponent is - her! I was so set on showing her how pool was really played, I went and missed FIVE 9-balls in a race to seven and lost the match.

The problem isn't really with those people that think they are better than what they actually are, the problem is with ourselves. That girl shouldn't have beat me in that tournament, but her attitude had gotten the best of me and I let my emotions play the game isntead of my skill.

Next time... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
10-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Chopstick and I have had a rivalry going ever since he talked me into taking up pool at the same time he did. Early on, he had the advantage because he was putting in more time on the tables. When he would come home on leave from Fort Bragg, he kicked my butt, and he still thinks he should be able to do it anytime.

I visited him in Orlando last year, and he came out a little bit ahead on Friday night, but then I beat him on Saturday.

We matched up in Memphis around Christmas, and played pretty even.

Then he came through Dallas a few months later, and I beat him on my familiar tables. So he flew to SC and took lessons from Grady, then had the nerve to call me from there and tell me that he had my ass-whipping in the microwave and it would be ready in a few. So he came back through last month and I beat him like he stole something. Guess he didn't think I'd been practicing too.

Now he's back in SC taking more lessons, and we'll see what happens when I meet him in Orlando. But it won't matter, he'll still think he can beat me whenever he wants to.

SpiderMan

10-21-2002, 06:12 PM

griffith_d
10-21-2002, 08:30 PM
When I shoot, I never miss,....the balls just do not mind my cue very well.

Griff

10-21-2002, 11:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Perk:</font><hr> That is TOO FUNNY...perfect example...My home town bar league...I am TOP SHOOTER for my bar, and consistently 1 - 2 in the league every year. Everyone in the league/bar players on weekend, look at me and this other guy as some kind of pool god. I just laugh, cause most of the time during the week when i travel to tourney's, and try to hustle, I usually drive home pissed or broke. I have alot of friends that are Champs or have played the champs, so my EYES are opened. To me the best part about playing the game is that: "Pool is a great sport, but also scary knowing that there are TONS of amatuers that would crush alot of the PROS". If anyone disagrees with that last statement, I am interested in hearing your opinions. <hr></blockquote>

It is wierd how some bar players who can barely make 5 in a row, and aren't playing position, but are simply hitting the ones that they can actually make after each shot, think arrogance is the way to play. I've found that a neutral attitude is best.. not egotistical, but not pessimistic either. More of a middle road type thing is good, but sometimes I hear people talking about me around here like "Oh, I heard you are really good.." or whatever, and I don't know what to say.. "yeah, I'm pretty good.." or "Naw.. I'm not THAT good.."

I usually just say "I'm decent.." but they take that as being cocky also.. so I don't know..

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2002, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Seattle-kid:</font><hr> but sometimes I hear people talking about me around here like "Oh, I heard you are really good.." or whatever, and I don't know what to say.. "yeah, I'm pretty good.." or "Naw.. I'm not THAT good.."

I usually just say "I'm decent.." but they take that as being cocky also.. so I don't know.. <hr></blockquote>

Just say "I get lucky sometimes" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-22-2002, 03:14 PM
ANONYM<font color=red>OO</font color=red>SE ALERT!

10-22-2002, 03:58 PM

phil in sofla
10-22-2002, 09:07 PM
I hadn't logged in (I generally don't have to, not sure why I had to then), so my post wasn't identified as mine.

I don't get involved in the to-and-fro of the personalities here too much, but something about the attack on whichever wolf this was struck me as uncalled for. Even if it is true, which I'm agnostic on.

Barry
10-22-2002, 09:24 PM
You can't win ethier way. I know the feeling.

10-23-2002, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barry:</font><hr> You can't win ethier way. I know the feeling. <hr></blockquote>

Yep, and it's rude to not talk to people, which I'd rather do. I've used the "I get lucky sometimes" and it seems to work (STT: Walli in natti) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but if you are an 'above average' player because you practice alot, watch the pro's play, and play against good players, but don't always run out when you should, what are you? Ok? decent? lucky? lazy? I don't know.. anyone can beat anyone in this game, all it takes is a lapse of concentration. :&gt;