PDA

View Full Version : Practice

10-20-2002, 09:33 AM
I am 20 years old, and go to "chalkies" every day to practice. however, i do not know how to practice effectively. I would like to know different types of practices i can do so i can be the best!
Thank alot!
Denny

cheesemouse
10-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Denny,
One of the most casual ways to practice that I've found while playing by myself is the Q-Skills. Do a google search for 'Q-Skills Test' a site with the rules should come up.

Doomsday Machine
10-20-2002, 11:14 AM
If you are practicing every day then you must be serious. I have been playing pool for 42 years and will give you a regimen that drastically improved my game (if you stick with it.)

I am assuming that you know how to play position and that you are a "shot-maker" without fear of difficult shots. To take your game to the next level just follow this plan:

1. Play only on 9 foot tables, No bar boxes.
2. Try to play 2 hours per day, no more and no less.
3. If the place you play has a snooker table, warm up by playing snooker for about 40 minutes, if not skip to next step.
4. The focus of this practice method is to improve your "mind's eye" in playing position and planning shots in advance.
5. Throw out balls 1-11 at random and spread them over the table. With ball in hand for the first shot try to run the balls in order. Continue to do this for the alloted time.
6. Every week add one additional ball. After the 4th week you will be using 15 balls.

You should see a drastic improvement on your position play and your ability to run racks as this method forces you to see angles and to plan your position play better. When you go to play "normal" 9-ball after a month of this training you will be shocked on how easy it is for you to run racks !! Let me know how you are doing after a month of this training.

Brent
10-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Deem thats a pretty good idea. I really suprized cuz for the last 2-3 weeks I have been playing every day 2 hours. Not less not much more /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I havent done these exercises though cuz I was always playing with my friend but maybe I should also try your technique. Thnx 4 the advice.

Brent

Cueless Joey
10-20-2002, 03:24 PM
http://www.barenada.com/poolworkout.shtml